Security News Apple 'Find My' network can be abused to steal keylogged passwords

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Apple's "Find My" location network can be abused by malicious actors to stealthily transmit sensitive information captured by keyloggers installed in keyboards.

The Find My network and application is designed to help users locate lost or misplaced Apple devices, including iPhones, iPads, Macs, Apple Watches, AirPods, and Apple Tags.

The service relies on GPS and Bluetooth data crowd-sourced from millions of Apple devices worldwide to find devices reported as lost or stolen, even if those are offline.

Lost devices send Bluetooth signals in a constant loop detected by nearby Apple devices, which then anonymously relay their location to the owner through the Find My network.

The potential to abuse Find My to transmit arbitrary data besides just device location was first discovered by Positive Security researchers Fabian Bräunlein and his team over two years ago, but apparently, Apple addressed this problem.

The analysts have even published their implementation on GitHub, called 'Send My,' which others can leverage for uploading arbitrary data onto Apple's Find My network and retrieving it from any internet-enabled device anywhere in the world.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.