Apple's Face ID beaten by mask, not an effective security measure

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Back when Apple unveiled the iPhone X, Phil Schiller emphasized that the company had worked with professional mask makers and Hollywood makeup artists to ensure Face ID couldn’t be tricked. But less than a week after the phone was released, Vietnamese cybersecurity firm Bkav claims to have duplicated a user’s facial features and used them to unlock a handset.

The company released a blog post and video explaining how it used a mixture of 3D-printing, plastic, silicone, makeup, and paper cutouts to create the creepy looking mask, which supposedly tricked the iPhone X’s facial recognition security tech. There’s some "special processing done on the cheeks and around the face," but creating the mask costs just $150.

Read more
BKAV interview

Because in Vietnam, we know how to fake things :p

btw, Iphones are overrated :p

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Voted "No". Even if everything was fine with the phone there would be no way i would spend more than $1k on a phone. Especially coming from Apple.

I like the fact that besides the facial recognition that's garbage, the phone itself could possibly freeze in 32 degrees or less temperature. Sorry for any iPhone fans that live in the upper most regions of the world. Your going to have to wait for that software update.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
By the way how much does it cost in US?

After tax for the 64GB its around $1400. 256GB is around $1600 after tax. From Amazon.

upload_2017-11-14_12-25-10.png

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
the phone itself could possibly freeze in 32 degrees or less temperature

Is that 32 C or F because if it's fahrenheit then it wouldn't work very well here, damn, i may cancel my order now ;)

You could not give me one..

Ah well, if someone was giving it to me for free then i wouldn't say no, that is an entirely different story, it would still sit on my kitchen windowsill though beside my old samsung which has taken up permanent residence there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.