Aquarians001's Security Configuration

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Since you conduct malware testing related activities then better conduct on a VM or use a fully virtualized software like Shadow Defender or Toolwiz Time Freeze.

For the addons/extension then better have one adblocker as your choice and one siteadvisor but Norton's plugin should be sufficient already.

On demand scanners: MBAM and Hitman Pro.

L

LabZero

User Account Control (UAC) is an essential tool for securing Windows systems because it prevents malicious software attempting to start automatically, to apply changes to the system.
So it is important that it is enabled.

Glary Utilities, in some contexts and configurations, may cause damage to the operating system and, like most optimization tools, don't brings benefits in terms of system performance.
CCleaner is more than enough.

The advice of @jamescv7 about the VM or light virtualization is very important if you play with malware, even if the ideal situation would be a dedicated PC without any personal data inside.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I would like to suggest some backup software such as Aomei Backupper or Macrium Reflect both have a good free version. :)

If you do not have a portable HDD give Aomei One Key a try, it will even help make a new partition for you. ;)

L

LabZero

Post # 5:

It is my opinion based on my experience of course.
In this case the subject is Glary Utilities.
The registry cleaner caused BSOD to my Windows 7 after a reboot.
I personally believe and repeat that these optimization tools cause more damage than gains.
If I want to optimize Windows, disable unnecessary services,Windows search, HDD defrag, etc.

If you like keep it...

M

Mr. Tech

User Account Control (UAC) is an essential tool for securing Windows systems because it prevents malicious software attempting to start automatically, to apply changes to the system.
So it is important that it is enabled.

Glary Utilities, in some contexts and configurations, may cause damage to the operating system and, like most optimization tools, don't brings benefits in terms of system performance.
CCleaner is more than enough.

The advice of @jamescv7 about the VM or light virtualization is very important if you play with malware, even if the ideal situation would be a dedicated PC without any personal data inside.

You are right but somewhat wrong - you don't state which parts of it may cause issues - the only parts of it that I have personally seen cause any issues at all is the "Empty Folder Deleter", even the Registry Cleaner works great on all versions of Windows.

Reactions: Moose
L

LabZero

You are right but somewhat wrong - you don't state which parts of it may cause issues - the only parts of it that I have personally seen cause any issues at all is the "Empty Folder Deleter", even the Registry Cleaner works great on all versions of Windows.
Glary registry cleaner caused BSOD on reboot on Win 7

It was just a test but clean your registry from 100 entries about 300.000 what benefits brings?

Reactions: frogboy
M

Mr. Tech

Glary registry cleaner caused BSOD on reboot on Win 7

It was just a test but clean your registry from 100 entries about 300.000 what benefits brings?

Well either way it may do it to certain computers from compatibility issues with other software on the machine but then again any registry cleaner has the ability to do that - CCleaner, MPC Cleaner, Glary Utilities, Wise Care 365, etc.

Reactions: Moose

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
It's nice to meet you, AQUARIANS001, and thank you for sharing your configuration with us. I was particularly interested seeing QFX KeyScrambler after which I learned more about it.:) As you are rightly concerned over privacy & are a Google Chrome user, here are the adjustments I've made to our Chrome browser:
  1. Click the menu
    IB7eZ2ht1pEixChJA4xp6iejr1xw3rXY_yJNeHgHajBRTzLB0ldIpEFje8gyeB4ydp6xpQpJ=w18-h18
    on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings,
  3. Scroll to the page's bottom, & click Show advanced settings.
  4. Under "Privacy", click on the Content settings button.
  5. Check the box "Block third party cookies & site data"
  • You may choose to mark the circle "Keep site date only until you close your browser" as I have.
Browse in "Incognito" which will clear history & cookies when ending your session.

A favorite, and probably our most used extention is called Lastpass www.lastpass.com which addresses guarding as well as generating more secure passwords using 256 AES (advanced encryption security). Just <click> "download free". It has made life more secure and easier at the same time!;)

As jamescv7 mentioned virtualization programs to protect while testing malware, there is a free virtualization app I use while browsing is called Sandboxie which guards against Zero Day Threats, Exploits, & Trojans. Read about and dowload it here:

Last edited:
Reactions: LabZero
L

LabZero

Well either way it may do it to certain computers from compatibility issues with other software on the machine but then again any registry cleaner has the ability to do that - CCleaner, MPC Cleaner, Glary Utilities, Wise Care 365, etc.
The only software that can "clean" the registry without causing damage is CCleaner, simply because It doesn't work in depth but in any case doesn't produce benefits.

Since I still see widespread this legend about software solutions that promise to improve performance and fix PC problems simply deleting some registry keys without a good benchmark demonstrating these fanciful argument ... I place one of the many links ...

Using Registry Cleaner: Does Is It Really Make A Difference?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.