Advice Request Are speedup / cleanup softwares needed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are speedup / cleanup software needed?

• Yes

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Venhiem

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Mar 10, 2014
There are so many tools out there - both free and paid - to 'speed up' the PC; defragmantation, registry cleanup, uninstallers, junk cleanup, file optimization to those that pack all of the aforementioned in one suite.

Opinions about these vary greatly, some say the default tools included with windows are good enough (defragmnentation, uninstallation and junk cleanup) and that things like registry cleaning are useless and can do more harm than good.

Other opinions are that these tools can speed up the PC, with many favorite tools like AVG Tune Up Utilities, Iobit's wide range of tools, Ashampoo's tools, CCleaner, Defraggler, Auslogics Disk Defrag etc.

What do you people think? Should this type of software be used? Do you use it? Why/why not?

All input is welcome.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

There are so many tools out there - both free and paid - to 'speed up' the PC; defragmantation, registry cleanup, uninstallers, junk cleanup, file optimization to those that pack all of the aforementioned in one suite.

Opinions about these vary greatly, some say the default tools included with windows are good enough (defragmnentation, uninstallation and junk cleanup) and that things like registry cleaning are useless and can do more harm than good.

Other opinions are that these tools can speed up the PC, with many favorite tools like AVG Tune Up Utilities, Iobit's wide range of tools, Ashampoo's tools, CCleaner, Defraggler, Auslogics Disk Defrag etc.

What do you people think? Should this type of software be used? Do you use it? Why/why not?

All input is welcome.
I use:

Ccleaner
Clean Master
Glary Utilities
Wise Registry Cleaner

These are all reliable tools which actually can help improve system performance by removing junk, etc. Software from IOBit is usually not the best - IOBit Uninstaller is fine but the others could be classed as PUPs by some people. I admit that registry cleaners can cause serious damage - Wise Registry Cleaner messed with my PC....Ccleaner Registry cleanups haven't caused any issues though.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello,You should not use any of these tune up utilities, intirelyFrom Iobit to Iolo,Ccleaner is alright but not necessary,as also a defrag program of some sort.Nothing more,and you can avoid it entirely and stick to windows own built-in tools.And what ever you might do ,don't touch the registry.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
CCleaner and Revo uninstaller here.

A lot of those tools out there will mess up your system. You won't know what they did, or how to get humpty-dumpty put back together again. You have very little to gain from them, and a lot to lose.

If you want a safe system optimizer, use Process Lasso.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Ccleaner + ccenhancer -> scheduled run once a week on sunday (silently)
privazer -> manally run once a month or randomly
auslogics disk defrag portable -> manually run when needed
cmd -> defrag c: /b when this is a slow down in boot time
revo uninstaller

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
The only tools in this category that I use are CCleaner and GeekUninstaller. In the past I used Auslogics Defrag, but it's been ages since I defragged since I use an SSD now. Never had any issues with the cleaning of these tools.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I had good luck with wise cleaner, It cleaned up 1.9gb of stuff I never knew I had such as MSO cache or didn't know I need and it hasn't shown any side effects. I don't ever touch their registry cleaner. Read many post regarding registry cleaners and even Microsoft doesn't recommend them. Used their defragment for my HDD, along other thing such as their tweaks.

I also love Process Lasso Pro as I do notice quite a difference when I am gaming...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I had good luck with wise cleaner, It cleaned up 1.9gb of stuff I never knew I had such as MSO cache or didn't know I need and it hasn't shown any side effects. I don't ever touch their registry cleaner. Read many post regarding registry cleaners and even Microsoft doesn't recommend them. Used their defragment for my HDD, along other thing such as their tweaks.

I also love Process Lasso Pro as I do notice quite a difference when I am gaming...
MSO cache is required if you wanna make any change/uninstall/modify for microsoft office. If it is deleted, during uninstallation or modification of components, MS office will ask for uninstaller files, you will need the original install folder for that
I use wise something but selectively, it is too aggressive
the only reg cleaner considered to be safe is ccleaner. It has really fixed some of the problem for me sometimes

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
MSO cache is required if you wanna make any change/uninstall/modify for microsoft office. If it is deleted, during uninstallation or modification of components, MS office will ask for uninstaller files, you will need the original install folder for that
the only reg cleaner considered to be safe is ccleaner. It has really fixed some of the problem for me sometimes
Glary Utilities has a great registry cleaner too. I mean, it never caused any problem with my Windows.

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

Thanks for the info, I'll just put in the CD when I want to uninstall or make changes,Hopefully the would work also,1.9 GB of space on your HD is kinda wasted space for that function.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Glary Utilities has a great registry cleaner too. I mean, it never caused any problem with my Windows.
It does have a great reg cleaner
however, it broke 1 of my programs. It took me a week to figure out who was the culprit and it was glary reg cleaner
in general, reg cleaners are absolutely useless and it breaks more than it can repair. Large registry doesn't really reduce PC speed, same for reg defrag :)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I think we need to clarify. People are warned against these programs because uninformed users can make problems for themselves with them. That would come mostly when they run the registry cleaner module or the one-click module that the program urges on the user, which will presumably include registry cleaning in most cases.

I have a lot of these programs. I never use a registry cleaner or a one-click module. I've never really explored all the modules on any of them because I have more pressing things to do with my time. I like Advanced System Care for its updater for Flash and a few other programs and for the really good shortcut fixer it puts in the right-click menu. I like Glary Utilities for its disk space analysis module; it also used to do good software updating for me, but that hasn't worked for me lately. I like Advanced Win Utilities Free for its empty folder cleaner. I like Kerish Doctor for its context menu editor; Wise Care and Glary Utilities are honorable mentions there. I like Advanced Uninstaller Pro and CCleaner for cookie protecting/cleaning and removing temporary/junk files. CCleaner is good for selectively removing System Restore points. Some of these have good file shredders, but I prefer the freeware File Shredder. I don't think any of these utilities has an uninstaller module that is at all comparable to IObit Uninstaller or Revo.

Most people shouldn't touch the registry, but I have found ventures into registry editing necessary at times for solving problems. I have had autostarting drivers left behind after uninstalling programs. A leftover driver from the O&O backup program caused me blue screens so regularly I couldn't leave my computer on overnight. Getting Windows to let go of these autostarts has required registry editing. I recommend Reg Organizer, Registrar Registry Manager, and Registry Finder.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
I use TuneUp Utilities 2010. I like the automatic cleanup feature, it's fine for me.

Reactions: AtlBo

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
CCleaner has one thing I would call remarkable, the ability to create rules for deletions, even so much as to remove files of a type from a folder. I haven't ever used this on a large scale, but someday I'd like to sit down and do some heavy research and develop a strategy for using this element of CC while using the default settings only for temp internet files. I use CCleaner to turn on/off startups sometimes.

CCleaner and Comodo Programs Manager are the only two I have, but I run Ashampoo WinOptimizer once every few months. Seems like a clean well-written program.

I recommend Reg Organizer

I think everyone should have something like this around in a bad spot. RegScanner is the only one I have tried, but it seems good enough for my uses. Thanks to conceptualclarity for recommending the program several months ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.