Advice Request Are speedup / cleanup softwares needed?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Are speedup / cleanup software needed?

• Yes

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • No

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
We clean our house, room, office, etc... the same thing with PC we need to clean it once in a while. Do we need cleanup software's "YES" IMO, but for speedup it depends on you as those setting done by such software can be done manually but I I'm not that technical so I take advantage of WiseCare doing it for me. With regards to defrag don't even think about if your using an SSD unless you have Diskeeper or Perfectdisk which can handle/prevent fragmentation.

Take caution in using registry cleaner not all are safe to use, not also advisable as it can trash your PC or some software, haven't had any issue w/ Privazer though.

Privazer;
WiseCare;
Uninstall tool; and
Diskeeper for me...

Last edited:

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
I use just CCleaner.

Optimization apps, and in particular those that have advanced registry cleaning features, can cause irreparable damage to the system that might force you to re-format it.
This is still not being mentioned enough by the many websites that advise the best optimization programs, without highlighting the risks.

Keep in mind that Windows is a closed system (closed source) and the developers of these optimization programs (and in particular the registry cleaners) do not have access to the source code of Windows.
This means that they use their experience, and sometimes this means that programs can make mistakes in the optimization.
An optimization program that modify registry keys can create instability, create blocks, slow down the system, and even prevent it from starting.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You don't need to run any of this software, but sometimes it can be useful.

Defragmentation:
You don't need to defrag a SSD. It's not harmful, this is just myth. But, there's very little benefit in defragging.
If you've got a hard drive, starting with Vista, Windows does an automatic defrag every week, and the included defragger actually works very well. You can sometimes can get slightly better performance by using a 3rd party defrag tool (but sometimes they do a worse job than the windows defrag which leads to less performance), however for most users, the standard Windows defrag is fine. Because it runs every week, you never need to manually do a defrag. I don't have a recpmmendation for any particular 3rd party defrag software.

Registry cleanup:
There is no actual need to ever clean the registry. From my experience, 99.9% of the time, cleaning the registry will not make a computer run faster or fix problems. Also, 99% of registry cleaners remove needed registry keys (even CCleaner on occasion), and understandably this can cause problems.

Uninstallers:
Both IObit Uninstaller and Revo are good choices. I use IObit Uninstaller. The free version is all you need, it woks very well and is regularly updated. It is worth using one of these if you try out a lot of software, as the included uninstallers (Windows can't uninstall anything itself) with most programs usually leave behind files and registry keys. There a several uninstaller which can scan for leftovers after running a program's own uninstaller, but IObit and Revo are a lot better a finding leftovers than some of the alternatives, and they both have very good free versions.

Junk Cleanup:
CCleaner is really all you need. But, personally I haven't used it for years, and use Clean Master for PC (and ASC/AVG) as it finds more junk than a lot of the alternatives.

Then there are the all-in-one type system utilities:
Bear in mind that these rarely work as well as advertised. They almost certainly won't make your computer run like new, and will rarely fix any problems you have with your computer. But, on the other hand they can help make a computer run faster.

Both AVG PC TuneUp and Advanced SystemCare work well and are safe to use, unlike some of the alternatives. As an example, I have hundreds of programs installed on my computer, and the program deactivator in AVG PC TuneUp made a very noticable improvment in my laptop's speed after I disabled a number of these. However, if you don't have much software installed, the program deactivator would not help so much. These two programs are not snake oil, and there is a fully functional trial version of PC TuneUp and free version of ASC, so you can try them without spending money.

If your computer is running slowly, the first thing to check in my opinion, is to make sure you've got enough RAM installed. For basic use, if you're running Vista or better, you really need 4GB of RAM, or 3GB if you running a 32GB version of Windows. Without enough RAM your computer will run slower. Also, you can make your computer run much faster by switching from a hard drive to a SSD, and these have come down in price a lot, and keep getting cheaper.

If you have problems, Windows Repair from tweaking.com is a good place to start. It's free, and can actually fix a lot of problems, unlike regular registry cleaners/system utilites.

W

Wave

I used to use CCleaner; as for registry scanning and repairing in general, always make sure you have a backup prior to any changes since any wrong moves can cause problems.

I agree with @Spawn, @tim one and @roger_m. Even in the past, myself a few years ago used Advanced SystemCare on my host system (back in 2013 or 2014 I think), and I let the registry scanner do it's repairing... Messed a lot of things up.

Of course this was not 100% the fault of IObit, but also my fault for not being responsible with the software. Deep registry scanning and repairing is not a good idea for the average user, they need to know what changes are being made and be careful with it, and remember to make that backup prior to any changes.

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello I have an Acer laptop,value about 500 U.S. Dollars.
so as you can imagine it is not that quick, so I use Wise Care 365 Pro.
I have gained speed on multiple levels not just my browsers is faster but windows too, it would be to much to describe it all here.
I think Tune up software got a future,not any program,but the right,like Gary Utillities and Wise Care 365 etc.

A Major Change Of Opinion:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
CCleaner gives you piece of mind as it is one of the safest if not the safest! I used to use Revo Uninstaller Pro but now I have dropped it! Just stick to CCleaner because other bulky system optimizers cause more serious issues than what they really fix so stay away! This is just my opinion :)

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
In my opinion about registry cleaners, there is no doubt, the programs that clean the registry keys do not speed up the PC and, at best, are a waste of time.
It is not necessary to clean the Windows Registry.
There are, theoretically, some scenarios in which cleaning the registry may solve some problems, but these are isolated cases and not frequent at all.

Running a registry cleaner frequently will lead, probably, to computer problems.
The registry is huge, and the deletion of a few thousand of items is really irrelevant.
If you want to use a registry cleaner, a good program I recommend is CCleaner, which acts with prudence and never provokes problems and has other useful tools also.

W

Wave

In my opinion about registry cleaners, there is no doubt, the programs that clean the registry keys do not speed up the PC and, at best, are a waste of time.
It is not necessary to clean the Windows Registry.
There are, theoretically, some scenarios in which cleaning the registry may solve some problems, but these are isolated cases and not frequent at all.

Running a registry cleaner frequently will lead, probably, to computer problems.
The registry is huge, and the deletion of a few thousand of items is really irrelevant.
If you want to use a registry cleaner, a good program I recommend is CCleaner, which acts with prudence and never provokes problems and has other useful tools also.
MS would do it themselves if it was essential

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I've experienced more issues than help or performance increases from speedup software in the past. Avira's System Speedup ended up breaking my ability to install and uninstall programs on an old system some years back so I've avoided them like the plague ever since.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I voted YES, unless you can manualy maintain the drive and settings.

It can vary depending how you use your PC.

I'd say its a little more yes then no.

Reactions: Winter Soldier

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Now I am using ccleaner for daily cleanup and Kerish Doctor from time to time! Both are, as I believe safe solutions but I don't use the registry cleaning module in both. I also use Auslogics Disk Defrage pro to keep my disk optimized

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I use CCleaner + Wise Care + Windows Disk Cleanup + a few commands:
I consider CCleaner as a browser cleaner and I use it to turn off computer.
By removing caches/temps, it might prevent some malware from ever starting.

Code:
rem Decrypt/decompress system files, if needed to increase performance
rem cipher /d /s:C:\
rem compact /CompactOs:never

fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:
chkdsk /scan
winmgmt /salvagerepository
del "%temp%\*" /s /f /q
del "%systemroot%\temp\*" /s /f /q
del "C:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
del "D:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q
del "E:\$Recycle.bin\*" /s /f /q

rem This command removes all system restore points/backups
vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

I defragment HDD outside of Windows, by booting Windows USB and following this:
Code:
Boot Windows USB - Repair - Troubleshoot - CMD - type/enter
c:
cd windows
cd system32
defrag c: /u

As for cleaners, Microsoft provides tools to reset caches and etc, cleaners usually contain all those "fixes" in one place. I bet nobody questions effects of cleaning thumbnail cache in case of corrupted icons or properly cleaning browser cache.

As for optimizers, that is a bit more difficult. There are many fakes, just like there are fake AVs and unfortunately they make the news. I remember Iobit posting on their webpage, that their product will improve performance by 1600% (no joke, that was it). Modern GUI is important and nice, like Baidu provides, but unreliable ones use very colorful GUI and display number of errors in huge fonts to persuade people to use them. Real optimizers are not really meant to speed up OS per say, just to trim it a bit, it might prevent lagging, stuttering and sometimes some mysterious problems. Of course you do not need them, if your OS is running just fine, I consider them as maintenance tools to prevent future problems and over the years it paid off.

Reactions: AtlBo and Rengar
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.