Advice Request Are these too many add-ons?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
I feel like I'm overdoing it with add-ons, too paranoid or too stupid lol. Thought the easiest way would be to get some good ol' advice here.

Are there redundancies, I'm sure there are, am I OTT here?

2022-08-30-Add-ons Manager — Mozilla Firefox.png

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I feel like I'm overdoing it with add-ons, too paranoid or too stupid lol. Thought the easiest way would be to get some good ol' advice here.

Are there redundancies, I'm sure there are, am I OTT here?

View attachment 268796
I'd say it's still an acceptable number of extensions. Yet, many of them are not really necessary if you ask me.

1. You can disable WebRTC in every major browser without using an extension: How to disable WebRTC in Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Opera and Edge | Kingpin Private Browser

2. Every major browser has an HTTPS-Only-Mode integrated. As you seem to use Firefox, you can simply go to settings and scoll all the way down in the privacy-tab:
Screenshot 2022-08-30 150608.jpg

3. Decentraleyes is pretty much useless when having Enhanced Tracking Protection in Firefox set to strict: Firefox Privacy: 2021 Update - Privacy Guides Blog

4. I don't care about cookie is a pretty well known blocklist and should be included in uBlock Origin too. (At least I think so) So another extension with no real benefit.

So there are at least 4 extensions with no real value. Even tho I'd personally also delete Cookie AutoDelete and Privacy Badger, I can also see their value for a few people. Maybe you are one of them.

Hope that helps :)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Chigwells It would help if you posted a security configuration thread or identify the browser you use. @SecureKongo advice is worth taking. I'm with @Digmor Crusher so I'd keep only µBO and MB.

Deleting cookies only provides a false sense of security in light of all the ways you may be tracked. If you use Firefox you can enable Strict Tracking Protection which gives you dFPI and Total Cookie Protection, so definitely µBO and a web protection extension are all you really need. I use Emsisoft myself in Firefox and Brave.

Pixelman

Level 4
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
If you are concerned about security and privacy, you could try LibreWolf Browser , a fork of Firefox focused on privacy, security and freedom, as the main page says.
That is what I use, along with 4 extensions.

Also you can set in your browser to auto-delete cookies, cash, history etc on browser exit.

If that is not enough, you can install Ccleaner, it has the option to delete cookies etc. on browser exit too.
Beware that there may be a consern that Ccleaner is not privacy friendly.

I was once a browser extension hoarder too, then I took a reasoning check to the brain. :emoji_beer:
-
MrFellow

Last edited:

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Wow, I'm humbled! Thanks you guys so much!

I forgot to say, I'm quite privacy conscious and anti-big business profiling me, so these are part of the measures I take to keep some control.

@SecureKongo, yes WebRTC and HTTPS-Only-Mode can be manageds as you say, I will do this.
'Enhanced Tracking Protection in Firefox set to strict', yes I have this so thank you so much for the Firefox link.
I don't care about cookie is a pretty well known blocklist and should be included in uBlock Origin too.
I love this as it eliminates the annoying pop-up when I land on a web page. I'll certainly experiment with your suggestion.
I'd personally also delete Cookie AutoDelete
It comes in very uself if I get stuck on a page and need to clear cookies

Privacy Badger, not really too sure what it does but as it comes from EFF it seems like a solid bet.

@plat sorry I should have said duh, Firefox.

Personally I would just use Malwarebytes and UBO, I'm a firm believer in "less is best" for computer security.
Yes, I guess that's why I'm here!

@oldschool Thank you for your opinion. Just got a new Win11 ThinkPad, so a security configuration thread might be the next step. All your advice is really helpful :)

If you are concerned about security and privacy, you could try LibreWolf Browser , a fork of Firefox focused on privacy, security and freedom, as the main page says.
That is what I use, along with 4 extensions.
I saw this yesterday on Best Privacy Tools in 2022: Encryption Against Surveillance and it's new to me, I will definately check it out

I was once a browser extension hoarder too, then I took a reasoning check to the brain. :emoji_beer:
-
MrFellow
Yes, I guess I gotta hold my hands up to this one tooooooo

Thank you all for your really solid advice. I will posiibly head over to LibreWolf with µBO and MB, have to give it all a bit of thought first though.

Many thanks to you all. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I would remove Cookie Autodelete, i dont care about cookies, disable WebRTC, Https Everywhere, privacy badger and decentraleyes. I would add Fireofx multiaccount containers. skip redirect, canvasblocker and noscript. With that I think that's enough.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Last edited:

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
4. I don't care about cookie is a pretty well known blocklist and should be included in uBlock Origin too. (At least I think so)
So I had a look through uBO settings, couldn't find the list. I went to the home page I don't care about cookies and copied the list, imported it into uBO > Filter Lists > Custom

I'll now remove the add-on and see if it works! Interested to see if it keeps the pop-ups away!!!

dont cookies.png

20220831-48.png

Hmm, I see it expires in 3 days, not so good then :(

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
So I had a look through uBO settings, couldn't find the list. I went to the home page I don't care about cookies and copied the list, imported it into uBO > Filter Lists > Custom

I'll now remove the add-on and see if it works! Interested to see if it keeps the pop-ups away!!!

View attachment 268832

View attachment 268833
Hmm, I see it expires in 3 days, not so good then :(
Expires in 3 days, means that there is an update of this filterlist every 3 days.
Expires: 5 days - This comment sets the update interval for the filter list. The value can be given in days (e.g. 5 days) or hours (e.g. 8 hours). Any value between 1 hour and 14 days is possible. Note that the update will not necessarily happen after this time interval. The actual update time is slightly randomized and depends on some additional factors to reduce server load.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Update: after realizing that 'static' list expires in 3 days, I did further research.

Alexander Fox has a really helpful guide The Ultimate Superuser's Guide to uBlock Origin - Make Tech Easier

He directs you to this Filter List FilterLists | Subscriptions for uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdGuard, ...:

1661971087504.png

On page 161 of 364 I found the wanted list (complete with uBO icon to show it's compatible):

1661971249556.png

Then following Alexander's instructions I clicked on Details and then Subscribe

1661971348164.png

Which took me to this page, and again I clicked on Subscribe

1661971578927.png

And, success! I now have the I don't Care About Cookies list in UBO!!!

1661971715886.png

Thanks to @SecureKongo and everyone for your fantastic ideas!!!

@Gandalf_The_Grey
Expires in 3 days, means that there is an update of this filterlist every 3 days.

Thanks, I'm getting there

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.