Advice Request Are these too many add-ons?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Phew, what a change. Following all your suggestions, I'm now down to these three (security) add-ons.

1662338267049.png

Only use one adblocker, either µBO or Adguard and disable ad blocking in MB as it's best used just for security, e.g. phishing, etc.
Check! Disabled the ad-blocking component of MB

I studied this tutorial to learn about better protection and playing around with the options:

How to use uBlock Origin to protect your online privacy and security | uBlock Origin tutorial 2018

I've learnt so much, thanks All.

Chigwells

Level 4
Thread author
Jan 16, 2012
Finally I wanted to add, I use these other add-ons as well:

Raindrop for bookmarking
Bitwarden password manager
Copy as Markdown for note-taking
Startpage search

Seven add-ons in total :sneaky::whistle::unsure:

Reactions: oldschool

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Finally I wanted to add, I use these other add-ons as well:

Raindrop for bookmarking
Bitwarden password manager
Copy as Markdown for note-taking
Startpage search

Seven add-ons in total :sneaky::whistle::unsure:
Why are you adding extensions for search and bookmarking? Those aren't needed. Just add startpage as a custom search engine. Also, do you really need malwarebytes? I mean, come on, it sucks!

Last edited:

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Judging by the screenshots @Chigwells uses Firefox, or some Firefox fork. That being the case, if I were you I would absolutely learn and lean in to uBo. You'd be surprised at what it can do to help you stay clean from adware/malware is you effective use medium mode. My suggestions:

1. Keepass with the database and keyfile stored different locations (database in the cloud keyfile local or vice versa) + password. That'll be better than bitwarden because you'll be in control of the data.
  2. Custom DDG search - https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%s&kp=-2&kav=1&kn=1&k1=-1&kk=-1&kaj=u&kay=b&kak=-1&kax=-1&kaq=-1&kap=-1&kao=-1&kau=-1&kw=w
  3. uBo in medium mode (happy to share "My Rules" if requested)
  4. Enable privacy.resistFingerprinting
That'll negate the needs for most of your extensions, and you'll be more secure. Here less is more.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Phew, what a change. Following all your suggestions, I'm now down to these three (security) add-ons.

View attachment 268947

Check! Disabled the ad-blocking component of MB

I studied this tutorial to learn about better protection and playing around with the options:

How to use uBlock Origin to protect your online privacy and security | uBlock Origin tutorial 2018

I've learnt so much, thanks All.

And now remove Firefox Multi-Account Containers and Malwarebytes Browser Guard too and then you are good to go. Multi-Account Containers doesn't add much to your privacy as Firefox has Total Cookie Protection enabled by default which has a similar effect on dealing with cookies. It's also mentioned in the link I mentioned in my first post:

Screenshot 2022-09-05 124524.jpg

Malwarebytes is a good extension which is updated regularly but it's not really necessary if you harden your uBlock Origin like in the video of The Hated One. Otherwise if you still don't really feel safe, you can use secure DNS like Quad9 or NextDNS that can block malicious sites, ads and trackers system-wide without the need for another extension.
I'd also really be interested in your complete computer security config. How about you add your own security config thread here: Computer Security Configuration

When you entered all the details, a moderator will rate your config and how secure it is. In addition, people can give recommendations and other useful tips to further improve your config.

Here is mine for example: Advanced Plus Security - SecureKongo's Computer Security Config 2022

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
But total cookie protection only works with the strict mode of firefox which can cause many sites to go wrong, especially if you use a vpn, because the native firefox canvas fingerprint is the same as tor.

Reactions: plat

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
I use KeePassXC. Used Bitwarden, but I find it more reassuring when my data is stored locally and encrypted.
I think you will like it, it's also easy to use.
Even if you upload your vault to your personal drive, it would be much safer than Bitwarden's cloud. Hackers would rather target servers that host the data of millions of users than target you specifically.

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017

/*** [SECTION 2700]: ETP (ENHANCED TRACKING PROTECTION) ***/ user_pref("_user.js.parrot", "2700 syntax error: the parrot's joined the bleedin' choir invisible!"); /* 2701: enable ETP Strict Mode [FF86+] [B]* ETP Strict Mode enables Total Cookie Protection (TCP)[/B] * [NOTE] Adding site exceptions disables all ETP protections for that site and increases the risk of * cross-site state tracking e.g. exceptions for SiteA and SiteB means PartyC on both sites is shared * [1] [URL='https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2021/02/23/total-cookie-protection/']Firefox 86 Introduces Total Cookie Protection – Mozilla Security Blog[/URL] * [SETTING] to add site exceptions: Urlbar>ETP Shield * [SETTING] to manage site exceptions: Options>Privacy & Security>Enhanced Tracking Protection>Manage Exceptions ***/ user_pref("browser.contentblocking.category", "strict");

So arkenfox is wrong? Thank you very much.

Reactions: oldschool and Kongo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.