Advice Request Are you protected against online tracking? The EFF's Cover Your Tracks site has the answer

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge are both the most secure browsers, both including their own services (Google Safe Browsing, Smart Screen by Microsoft) to protect users while browsing with updated databases in real-time, furthermore sandboxing tech is stronger on all chromium-based browsers compared to Firefox.

Honestly, I have to mention, my browsers are Brave and Firefox, but that is just personal preference... ;)
In theory Google Chrome is more secure than Microsoft Edge because the chromium security updates are first implemented in Chrome and then the other chromium-based browsers follow. With Brave and Edge being usually the quickest to update and usually in that order.

Edge user here :D

F

ForgottenSeer 78429

Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge are both the most secure browsers, both including their own services (Google Safe Browsing, Smart Screen by Microsoft) to protect users while browsing with updated databases in real-time, furthermore sandboxing tech is stronger on all chromium-based browsers compared to Firefox.
Using NextDNS should eliminate the Google Safe browsing factor.
In theory Google Chrome is more secure than Microsoft Edge because the chromium security updates are first implemented in Chrome and then the other chromium-based browsers follow. With Brave and Edge being usually the quickest to update and usually in that order.
I thinks almost everyone appreciates Chrome for its security and features but most of them don't like it much. By the way I also use Brave and Firefox.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
From my personal testing, I have noticed that only Chrome seems to access in real-time to Google Safe Browsing, all other well-known browsers like Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi, all are allowed updating twice per hour the database of Google Safe Browsing, probably the same delay for NextDNS or others...

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

I thinks almost everyone appreciates Chrome for its security and features but most of them don't like it much. By the way I also use Brave and Firefox.
We are getting very much off topic but....
We had a discussion here and came to the conclusion that Google Safe Browsing works best in Chrome and SmartScreen in Edge.
Others don't get access to the same features or fast updates even when using Safe Browsing from Google or the SmartScreen extension from Microsoft.
What does NextDNS use?
EDIT: @silversurfer was faster...

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

We had a discussion here and came to the conclusion that Google Safe Browsing works best in Chrome and SmartScreen in Edge...
and that other browser which use this list(s) are only delayed with 30 minutes.
If that is really a concern, the system itself is very import (should be better secured then and is definitely not a consumer system) or the system is very untrusted/ insecure or the user doesn't care at all.

So back to the question from gigi64: Most secured browser is Edge & Chrome if your question is Windows related.
None browser can you hide from your ISP and that's not their task. If you're thread model include that, you should first read about. No offence meant, but you have to learn it yourself to understand it.

gigi64

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 14, 2012
Ashampoo_Snap_Friday, January 1, 2021_16h55m01s_002_.png

Your opinion about epic ?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Your opinion about epic ?

Epic privacy browser is probably marketing only... as said by @security123 it's impossible to hide your "browsing" from your ISP, unless you are using VPN.
Furthermore it's even more doubtful that Epic browser using always the latest build of Chromium, so would be a real security risk!

johnjanny

Jan 26, 2021
Cover Your Tracks is an online test by the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) to determine how well a browser is protecting user data against online tracking.

When you connect to a site using a browser, information is revealed to the site automatically. Sites may run scripts to gather additional information about the device that is used, and all of that may be used to track users across the Internet.

Cover Your Tracks is based on EFF's Panopticlick tool that the organization launched in 2010 and updated in 2015. Panopticlick redirects users to the new Cover Your Tracks tool automatically.

A click on the "test your browser" button on the site runs a quick check that determines the following:
  1. Is the browser blocking advertisement?
  2. Is the browser blocking trackers.
  3. Is the browser unblocking third-parties that honor Do Not Track?
  4. Has the browser a unique fingerprint?
The test results are displayed on a single page right after the test.

DNT Enabled or disabled?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.