• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Yes & No - My Avast Premier have Built in Software Updater & My AVG PC TuneUp Have Built in Software Updater they do some work but i chose what to update manually, and some of my Programs are Updated by them selfs - secure programs like Browsers etc.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I was using Secunia psi but not anymore and I think we don't need these tools because you can update everything manually.
Tools like Secunia are not recommended anymore because they eat ram and CPU and probably contain some Adware :/
When you have to maintain multiple pc's/laptops in your household and family a red colored Secunia PSI means that pc needs attention.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
I know but every time I tried Secunia, it was freeze, buggy and slow.
And about family, they don't care about this stuff:notworthy:
80% of ppl in my country don't even know what is Adblocker:cautious:.
They don't even know the difference between adware and ransomware:)

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I know but every time I tried Secunia, it was freeze, buggy and slow.
And about family, they don't care about this stuff:notworthy:
80% of ppl in my country don't even know what is Adblocker:cautious:.
They don't even know the difference between adware and ransomware:)
....... to many ppl don't know the difference between basic computer stuff in every Country ...... sooo :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:---:)

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Yes & no, but mostly no so i voted no. :confused::LOL:

Auto: I have Kaspersky total security which has in-built software updater.
Manually: I use softpedia (email) & filehippo (email) update notification to know what updates are available. For this, what-ever programs i use, i have subscribed for their updates on the mentioned sites.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I just don't understand why a person needs a software updater.
Some softwares update when you reboot, and others update when you run them.
If you don't run the software, it won't hurt you, right? So as soon as you run it, you will get your update prompt, or whatever.
I suppose if you don't reboot every day, then you might want to have a software updater. But why not just reboot?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I just don't understand why a person needs a software updater.
Some softwares update when you reboot, and others update when you run them.
If you don't run the software, it won't hurt you, right? So as soon as you run it, you will get your update prompt, or whatever.
I suppose if you don't reboot every day, then you might want to have a software updater. But why not just reboot?
For example for Skype for desktop that my kids use I always find updates with Patch My PC.

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
No, and I don't think a software updater is really a thing. These kinds of program are not essential in my opinion, as they can be a bloat to your system. And when I want, I can always check for updates by myself. Programs in which updating is a critical process, such as the OS, Microsoft Office, Adobe Flash/Reader, Chrome, antiviruses etc, all have their own built-in update tools.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.