Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Removed:
  • Panda Free Antivirus
Added:
  • 360 Total Security Essential

Pretty solid configuration.
I would not use any AV other that Windows Defender considering that you already have very good second layers of protection. Still, your choice, you certainly know what you're doing :)

Reactions: inuyasha

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Pretty solid configuration.
I would not use any AV other that Windows Defender considering that you already have very good second layers of protection. Still, your choice, you certainly know what you're doing :)
Microsoft's signatures are already included in SAP's Universal AV which would make Defender redundant for me to use, plus I'm not running Windows 10.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Because of the privacy issues with the vendor, isn't it?
Kind of, it's not the vendor so much as the messed up policy that is being inflicted on all vendors
from that region. They have to comply or face action from the Chinese government, its a sad and scary
situation for them. I myself would not be doing business there, once you have grown as some of them have,
moving to countries that respect privacy better is not that hard, and remember it's not just the privacy issue
it is a security issue in and of itself.

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Removed:
  • Avast Free Antivirus
Added:
  • ESET Internet Security

Had a 1-year free trial lying around so I figured I may as well use it.

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Removed:
  • ESET Internet Security
Added:
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
Didn't plan on buying an Emsisoft license until ESET's trial ran out next year but mine's been cancelled. Not sure if this is the case with all AU exclusive licenses given away back in July or mine specifically. Either way it accelerated my Emsisoft purchase which is A-OK by me.

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Windscribe's been crashing randomly as of late so I'm no longer keeping it permanently connected.

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Removed:
  • VoodooShield Pro
Added:
  • SecureAPlus
Removed VoodooShield due to the whitelist becoming unmanageable since its v4 release.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
My Windows 7 system died last night. Something went wrong with Windows which caused it to no longer start and every method of restoring it to life failed miserably (system repair disc, system restore, system image and Windows 7 ISO download).

So today I took the plunge and picked up a Windows 10 system, and with new system comes new security:

Removed:
  • Windows 7
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • SecureAPlus
Added:
  • Windows 10
  • Windows Defender
  • Comodo Firewall
I see no point in springing for a third-party AV on Windows 10 when I will always use some form of default-deny solution to compliment which ever AV I use, so Windows Defender just makes sense since it's integrated into the OS.

Comodo Firewall has always given me issues in the past. I want to like it but it always finds a way to annoy me, so I'm giving it one last chance. So far it's managed to somehow block Firefox's uninstaller and a critical component of Adguard even though both are on the Trusted Vendors List (and I refuse to believe Mozilla didn't digitally sign Firefox's uninstaller), so not a good start. If something else arises then I'm probably just going to ditch it.

Netcraft is there to provide protection against phishing sites.

Last edited:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
how would you rate your SecureAPlus experience compared to VS?
I'm on the fence between the two, running both the same time atm :D

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
how would you rate your SecureAPlus experience compared to VS?
I'm on the fence between the two, running both the same time atm :D
I much prefer the UI (including alerts) and protection that VS affords. The fact that it's easy to whitelist everything already on your PC and block anything new from executing is extremely valuable to me. It's something that's a lot more annoying and difficult to achieve with SAP.
SAP's definitely more user friendly than VS and if someone wanted to try an anti-exe for the first time I'd point them to it.

If I were you I'd just pick whichever one you prefer and roll with it. Using both is somewhat redundant unless you're prone to accidentally clicking allow on prompts that pop-up from one.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I much prefer the UI (including alerts) and protection that VS affords. The fact that it's easy to whitelist everything already on your PC and block anything new from executing is extremely valuable to me. It's something that's a lot more annoying and difficult to achieve with SAP.
SAP's definitely more user friendly than VS and if someone wanted to try an anti-exe for the first time I'd point them to it.

If I were you I'd just pick whichever one you prefer and roll with it. Using both is somewhat redundant unless you're prone to accidentally clicking allow on prompts that pop-up from one.
not being able to whitelist things with VS has been getting annoying, I had to wait for Dan to add the rules globally, i almost had my VS running disabled half the time cause it was just annoying. also the amount of FP it has with the AI, i just sometimes can't trust VS and use it solely for having VT results and stop things, which SAP also does.
at the same time VS has been getting better recently. it is redundant but it doesn't cause issues or any noticable slowdown.

sadly you didnt help much with my dilemma :(

Reactions: oldschool

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
it was just annoying. also the amount of FP it has with the AI

Agreed. Between CF & WD+CD I'm getting way more FPs.... Just updated Firefox to 64bit and I got AR15-like FPs. I'm still trying to get a handle on this setup. I'm protected .. but at what cost?

Reactions: mekelek and frogboy

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Agreed. Between CF & WD+CD I'm getting way more FPs.... Just updated Firefox to 64bit and I got AR15-like FPs. I'm still trying to get a handle on this setup. I'm protected .. but at what cost?
what does CD stand for?
I understand that the AI is sensitive but i'm reaching the point where i'm hitting "this is a false positive" more than i hit continue.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.