Solved Arg! Ethernet cable not detected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
Well, I am currently in Taiwan using a wireless network, as for some reason, when I plug my ethernet cable into the computer, it's not detected! Like the light doesn't even light up, it's as if I didn't plug anything in. It worked fine when I was in the US, I used it everyday, but here, it can't detect it at all. I know it's my computer's problem, as my mom's laptop managed to receive internet connection through the ethernet cable. So, any help?

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Is your connection through a router or Modem. Check them. Contact your ISP or buy a new PCIE lan card.

Upvote 0

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
If u only used the wifi you might nned to setup up the network to work on the ethernet cable. The easiest way is right click on the tray icon and click troubleshoot problems

Upvote 0

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
If it's a laptop, I don't know, but if it is a actual desktop computer the see if the card for the Ethernet is plugged in to the motherboard.

Upvote 0

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
pcjunklist said:
If u only used the wifi you might nned to setup up the network to work on the ethernet cable. The easiest way is right click on the tray icon and click troubleshoot problems
Lol I've already done that 500+ times.

McLovin said:
If it's a laptop, I don't know, but if it is a actual desktop computer the see if the card for the Ethernet is plugged in to the motherboard.
It's a laptop -_-

Upvote 0

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Hmm, well in that case I have no idea. You could take it to a computer shop where you are to have a look at it.

Upvote 0

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
McLovin said:
Hmm, well in that case I have no idea. You could take it to a computer shop where you are to have a look at it.

lol my windows is in English, haha. I don't think many people in Taiwan know how to read English :D

Upvote 0

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
gbpackerfan said:
lol my windows is in English, haha. I don't think many people in Taiwan know how to read English :D

Oh, ha, didn't think of that. Well Might have to get it looked at when you go back :p

Upvote 0

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
McLovin said:
gbpackerfan said:

Oh, ha, didn't think of that. Well Might have to get it looked at when you go back :p

lol yea, hopefully it works on the ethernet back home :D

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

gbpackerfan said:

Most IT knows English, i can assure you.

Upvote 0

gbpackerfan

Thread author
Jun 14, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
gbpackerfan said:

Most IT knows English, i can assure you.

lol what I'm worried about is those that "think" they know english but instead they don't and screw my laptop over.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Have you tried Google results?

https://www.dslextreme.com/support/kb/troubleshooting-a-cable-modem-dsl-or-lan-internet-connection
http://www.techimo.com/forum/networking-internet/212026-ethernet-cable-not-being-read-led-lights-not-lit.html
http://forum.notebookreview.com/networking-wireless/332575-ethernet-card-not-lighting-up.html
http://www.allquests.com/question/1892109/What-color-should-the-ethernet-port-light-up.html

> Check to see if Ethernet is damaged?
> Check the pins?
> Check out other info in the links.

Upvote 0

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
did you check the device management (devmgmt.msc) ? Check for yellow exclamation points or red X's next to any devices. Also you could try updating the driver for the network card. Lastly you could right click the network card and disable, reboot and re-enable the card.

Upvote 0
L

luke.douthwaite

Was about to say make sure you have the local area connection enabled, happened to me before, was rather embarrassing lol.

Are you keeping the laptop plugged in or running it from the battery, as some laptops turn off the ethernet port so it can conserve power...

Thanks,

Luke

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.