ARPCache Registry cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
ARPCache Registry cleaning topic for you all ..

I did clean (delete) all old entries in ARPCache (Add/Remove Programs Cache) in Registry here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Management\ARPCache

I had to delete 5 lines of the old software, which were no longer present in my PC.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

This same cleaning you can do with the ARPCache Viever FREE software: by regvac.com: http://www.regvac.com/farpcache.htm

Quote:

'What is ARPCache?
ARPCache is a secret, undocumented section of the registry used to store information for Add/Remove Program items in the latest versions of Windows. If you open Add/Remove Programs in the newer versions of Windows, you will notice that certain information has been added, such as, size, frequency of use, and last used on. This data is kept in binary files in the ARPCache of the registry, which means that even if you know where it is in the registry, you probably will not be able to read it. ARPCache Viewer deciphers the binary files and shows you what is in each entry.

ARPCache is not ARP Cache
Some people have mistakenly confused this ARPCache (which obviously stands for Add Remove Programs Cache) with the documented ARP (which stands for Address Resolution Protocol) Cache of the Windows operating system. The documented ARP has to do with resolving IP addresses across networks. This has nothing to do with the ARPCache in the registry.

The Dirt Behind ARPCache
A problem with the ARPCache is that Windows automatically adds to this storage area but it does not automatically remove items when they are uninstalled. '

Freeware
The ARPCache Viewer is freeware! arpcachz.exe: 616kb only! (for Win2K, WinXP, WinVista, and Win7).

V

Vextor

I wouldn't recommend Registry Cleaners. You should de-fragment it instead, and save space and loading speed.
Extra-registry entries don't slow down a PC, or damage it. Deleting reg entries can, unless it's because of a virus infection or exe file association, from a fake-av for example.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'I wouldn't recommend Registry Cleaners.' - No problem no problem my dear bbbbweb!.. Me too, I not recommend these registry cleaners .. instead of these, I delete always manually, I have the big experience about, no problem for me.;)

But this ARPCache Viever is good and safe for well experienced people, that's all.:cool:

'Extra-registry entries don't slow down a PC, or damage it.' - this is entirely what I think, me too.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
bbbbweb said:
I wouldn't recommend Registry Cleaners. You should de-fragment it instead, and save space and loading speed.
Extra-registry entries don't slow down a PC, or damage it. Deleting reg entries can, unless it's because of a virus infection or exe file association, from a fake-av for example.

Defragging does virtually nothing for performance - maybe in Windows XP you could argue that but I actually doubt that as well. Then again neither does cleaning but at least with cleaning you can solve issues with programs etc

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
@Hungry Man,

'Defragging does virtually nothing for performance' - I totally agree with you. That's why I use the defragger with the OPTIMIZATION function, called MyDefrag, by J. C. Kessels (thank you! ..). I know you know all this, but maybe this could teach someone else ..:

'MyDefrag organizes files into zones, such as directories, Windows files, files used while booting, regular files, and rarely used files. The most accessed files are placed at the beginning of the harddisk, and files that are commonly used together are placed in close proximity to each other. This results in a dramatic speed increase, and is in fact more important than defragmentation'.

My thread about MyDefrag here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-MyDefrag-disk-defragmenter-and-optimizer

'Then again neither does cleaning ..' - Hmm .. it depends, what we clean.

Every week I manually delete my Restore Points (my Windows fortunately does not delete the last RP) in System Volume Information folder - and then my boot time increases thanks to this, here. Another - automatic cleaning - is here: my IE, that with the closure cleans all session garbage (temp files, history ..). IE then becomes more responsive. So 'm feel safer. More and more.:D
And with the help of KCleaner and PureRa, it's sufficient, my cleaning story.
I hope that you are not asleep, Hungry Man .. please ..:sleepy:

'.. a dramatic speed increase'!:cool:

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
What you're referring to is short stroking - the basis of this being that the outside of the disk travels faster than the inside of the disk. This won't effect the registry at all. The registry is loaded into RAM, which is Random Access Memory and all points can be accessed in the same amount of time.

I'm all for short stroking and optimization - I believe the Windows defragger already does this. It just doesn't mean anything for the registry. Defragging is important, especially for older systems that have fairly large hard drives (100-200GB) but very little RAM (512MB - 1GB) and the disk is being access a lot. Newer systems don't need it quite so much but it's still good to do once a month or two.

At most defragging the registry can "compress" it and take away some space. This will save you maybe a MB of RAM if you're lucky.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
'.. optimization - I believe the Windows defragger already does this.' - But NOT in Windows XP.

Maybe in Windows7?..
I do not know this as the owner of XP, but may be you know ..

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Most of the registry cleaning can have aggressive algorithms for detecting unneeded registry files which caused lots of trouble some were having Defragging and need to disable some important application like AV in order to work, so its advisable to leave on using the registry cleaners unless willing to take the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.