Hot Take Asking for a friend of mine but what are the actual issues for running eset and MacAfee together?

cartaphilus

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Friend cough has been wondering cough.

Although I friend can try it via image re-image I was just wondering from a more indepth perspective.
 
Friend cough has been wondering cough.

Although I friend can try it via image re-image I was just wondering from a more indepth perspective.
can-we-ask-why-ylpc7osxb3xiblol.gif
 
I got computer a while ago which had Eset and Norton installed at the same time.

When user encounter a piece of malware, they both detected it. So Eset detected that Norton tried to quarantine it so it put it in quarantine also. Then Norton detected Eset's action and tried to quarantine it again. And then Eset....
They were both showing notification on desktop and system was unusable since there was new notification that took away window focus each second. I had really hard time but somehow managed to disable Eset's real-time protection and stopped this endless loop.

Lesson learned: never install two antiviruses with real-time protection enabled.
 
Lesson learned: never install two antiviruses with real-time protection enabled.
...unless one or both are designed to run together, see eg above, url below

 
...unless one or both are designed to run together, see eg above, url below

Even Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool which is supposed to work alongside any AV caused issues.
2025-09-22_00-33-39.png
 
I remember back in 2012 installing ESET on my dad's computer. He was using Avast. I thought that the best way to install ESET would be to install it first, and after reboot uninstall Avast. This way he wouldn't spend a single second without antivirus.

Too bad ESET's installation never finished. The PC died in between. Had to take it to a repair shop to get it formatted. I didn't have enough knowledge about repairing nor security. Ever since I advice against multiple antivirus at once.
 
I got computer a while ago which had Eset and Norton installed at the same time.

When user encounter a piece of malware, they both detected it. So Eset detected that Norton tried to quarantine it so it put it in quarantine also. Then Norton detected Eset's action and tried to quarantine it again. And then Eset....
They were both showing notification on desktop and system was unusable since there was new notification that took away window focus each second. I had really hard time but somehow managed to disable Eset's real-time protection and stopped this endless loop.

Lesson learned: never install two antiviruses with real-time protection enabled.
Mm that’s a racing condition. It’s when 2 processes (or even 2 threads of the same process) fight over a resource. They both fail and upon failure, retry because they need to get the job done. When you use two different products they don’t communicate and such conditions can occur.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top