Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Why I started asking permission before sharing my kids' photos on Facebook:
SOURCE: chicagotribune.com (ARTICLE DATE: 31 Aug 2016)]

Devorah Heitner, author of the new book "Screenwise," makes an awfully compelling case for asking your kids' permission before you post photos of them on Facebook.

"We need to mentor kids more than we need to monitor kids," Heitner told me.

That means treating them the way they should treat others, and teaching them to speak up about how they want others to treat them..

"Asking them for their permission before sharing a photo of them creates a positive boundary," she said. "It teaches them, 'You can say no to a friend taking or sharing your photo.'"

Every day of their lives is picture day, Heitner maintains. We had to suffer through it once a year as kids (ugh, the braces years), but they live it every day.

"Do you wish there were more pictures of you as a tween?" she writes. "Probably not."

But kids are snapping photos of each other in flattering and not-so-flattering situations. All. The. Time. Parents need to push back on that, Heitner contends, and it starts with asking permission before sharing, which does the following:

• "It teaches your child that her image is her own. It helps her recognize that sharing is a choice and that some things are private. Because you showed her that consideration and modeled some respect for her privacy, she'll be more likely to ask before she shares a picture of her friend."
  • "It teaches good boundaries. It's important for a child to know that she can say no. The very act of asking for permission creates a moment for her to stop and think. This pause is very helpful: We could all benefit from it."
  • "It teaches empowerment. Posting a photo is now her choice, not yours. It's a wonderful gift, and she'll start to expect the same consideration from her friends."
  • "It teaches self-control. Social media is part of journaling, recording feelings and celebrating small moments. You don't want to quash that, but you want her to think about the ramifications."
[To read the full article please visit chicagotribune.com]

SpartacusSystem

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Aug 6, 2015
Interesting debate this. I wouldn't share a future child's photo on a site where everyone could see, but I would upload it to my Facebook profile, for close friends and family to see. I like to keep a tight network of people on my social media profiles except Twitter.

If it was a funny photo of a child, or they were taking part in an activity then I guess, why wouldn't you share the photo of them in a cautious manner.

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the thread :)

I checked :
  • One should never share photos of one's kids on social media
  • I think that it could be dangerous to share photos of one's kids on social media
  • I do not have any children

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
My daughters are now at an age where they understand, but are not old enough to have social media accounts as of yet.
My wife shares moments with other family and they at times contain photos of my 3 daughters.
I think it is appropriate under the right conditions, if a photo contains an embarrassing moment
the parents owe it to the child to maybe ask permission to share the photo in question, seeing it will be
immortalized on the internet.
Cool thread Logethica.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I voted I don't have kids.

I think the right or wrong answer is up to the parents. If you have people on your social media which are family or trustworthy friends, it should be alright to post kids pictures aka family photos.

Its also good to use film in a camera, and have pics mailed and developed instead of uploading online.

Reactions: Logethica
L

Lucent Warrior

It is all about perspective. Something to ponder here...

Would you set up a home security, cameras, monitor ect, then post it on the internet, exactly how you have it set up and where? Im going to bet you probably would not. Why would you list what your computer security set up, your desktop pictures, your browser configuration, your router set up, and even habits and 3rd party applications on the internet for everyone in the world to see, and then consider posting pictures of your family on Facebook with nothing but family and friends dangerous?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.