Freud2004

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Hello,

I really need some help:

This week I will buy one of this laptops, ACER Predator Helios 300 PH315-53-79LK (Intel Core i7-10750H - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 or ASUS ROG Strix G15 G512LV-70A26PB2 (Intel Core i7-10870H - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060. Don't suggest other laptops, there aren't more in my price range and there is no offer in Portugal, we are a small country and with the world demand of laptops there is not many offers around.

The finality off the laptop is work, see movies and game, some times I work, sometimes I play more, is no area better than other.

My question is; go for the best processor 10870H/RTX2600 or the week processor and the best graphics card Intel Core i7-10750H - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070.
Booth have 1TB ssd, the RTX have 8GB off VRAM and games are more demanding every day, in the other side the 10870H have 8 cores, probably will have more
longevity than the 10750H. What you suggest?

Anyone with one of these laptops? Good points, bad points, do I must worry about something about one of these machines.
Are one of the manufacturers have better driver support?

Sorry for so many questions, and for my poor English, but really need some opinions.

Tanks

• ASUS ROG Strix G15 G512LV-70A26PB2 (Intel Core i7-10870H - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 - RAM: 16 GB - 1 TB SSD - 15.6

• ACER Predator Helios 300 PH315-53-79LK (Intel Core i7-10750H - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 - RAM: 16 GB - 1 TB SSD - 15.6''

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
After a quick Google for looking up some reviews, difficult to find the exact type... my conclusion would be go for the Acer.

Pros​

• Thin and light chassis
  • Two M.2 NVMe slots
  • 90% sRGB coverage and accurate color reproduction with our Gaming and Web design profile (AUO B156HAN08.2)
  • Comfortable input devices
  • A good performer with an “overclocking” option
  • Customizable RGB lighting
  • Lack of PWM-adjusted brightness (AUO B156HAN08.2)

Cons​

• Lacks an SD card slot and Thunderbolt 3 support
  • Sharp edge, cutting through the user’s wrists

Pros​

+IPS display
+144 Hz panel
+good system performance
+space for two M.2 SSDs
+RAID 0 is supported
+backlit keyboard (RGB)
+excellent WLAN transfer speeds
+USB 3.2 Gen 2

Cons​

-no Thunderbolt 3

OUR VERDICT​

The Asus ROG Strix G15 (G512LI) presents a sleek body and a punchy keyboard, but hollow audio and a dismal display weigh it down.

FOR​

• Strong performance and graphics
  • Sleek, punk design
  • Punchy keyboard

AGAINST​

• Dismal display
  • Below-average battery life
  • Hollow audio

Pros​

+240 Hz display with fast black-white response times
+accessible 3x M.2 2280 slots, 2x SODIMM slots
+good Turbo Boost performance sustainability
+decent battery life for its category
+dedicated mouse buttons
+full sRGB coverage

Cons​

-loud Turbo mode required for maximum performance
-display could be better calibrated out of the box
-no Thunderbolt 3, webcam, or SD card reader
-system fans are almost always active
-cannot recharge system via USB-C
-PWM at low brightness levels
-fans are loud when gaming
-large footprint; heavy
-small arrow keys

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Hello,
Both laptops seems to have full hd display(144hz). In terms of performance (in full hd resolution) both setups are quite equal. What would i do in this situation, is the build quality, screen quality, heat, connectivity, ports etc. If you do a lot of gaming 10870H would be the best. There are games that are more CPU intensive rather than GPU intensive. Both laptops have been reviewed online.

NetrunnerEdge

Feb 22, 2021
Well here are some points for both laptops I know. I bought a gaming laptop recently and it is a very huge upgrade from my Intel HD 520 integrated CPU. As a result I have researched for 3 months and maybe a few of the pointers here are helpful.
1. In terms of power RTX 2060 and 2070 have a big enough gap but 2060 is more optimized for games. From what I have seen at least (if you prefer fps over resolution) many games surprisingly are on par or sometimes better in terms of fps compared to RTX 2070.
2. If you are using the laptop for something other than gaming, do not compromise on the processor. Balance is key. It is because you are not only gaming and various software may be CPU intensive.
3. ASUS ROG is top of the line and definitely is way better than the ACER predator. I believe ACER predator will prove problematic for work-related purposes since it can only run games well while the ROG is so overpowered that it pretty much can run everything without much issues.
4. I believe in terms of thermal solutions, the ASUS ROG definitely has one of the best thermal cooling there is.

Welp, this is obviously according to my experience and research. Hope it helps you decide.

Reactions: Venustus

NetrunnerEdge

Feb 22, 2021
Well here are some points for both laptops I know. I bought a gaming laptop recently and it is a very huge upgrade from my Intel HD 520 integrated CPU. As a result I have researched for 3 months and maybe a few of the pointers here are helpful.
1. In terms of power RTX 2060 and 2070 have a big enough gap but 2060 is more optimized for games. From what I have seen at least (if you prefer fps over resolution) many games surprisingly are on par or sometimes better in terms of fps compared to RTX 2070.
2. If you are using the laptop for something other than gaming, do not compromise on the processor. Balance is key. It is because you are not only gaming and various software may be CPU intensive.
3. ASUS ROG is top of the line and definitely is way better than the ACER predator. I believe ACER predator will prove problematic for work-related purposes since it can only run games well while the ROG is so overpowered that it pretty much can run everything without much issues.
4. I believe in terms of thermal solutions, the ASUS ROG definitely has one of the best thermal cooling there is.

Welp, this is obviously according to my experience and research. Hope it helps you decide.

Long story short, ASUS ROG is a no brainer and you are really lucky you can get your hands on one in this global chip shortage.

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.