Aura Security Setup

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Well, there's nothing fancy in my setup, but it does the job well. I know I'm lacking on the back up side of things, but I don't like system images (if I mess up, I prefer starting from scratch rather than doing a restore, and it never happened other than during my upgrade to Windows 10) and I don't have a lot of "crucial" files. All of them are saved on Google Drive and Dropbox, so even if my drives were to fail physically, I wouldn't lose anything.

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
You might consider adding On-Demand Scanner(s) like Zemana Anti-Malware, Crystal Security, etc. Thanks for sharing. :)

Personally I believe On-Demand Scanners are only necessary when it comes to remove infections on a system, not determine whether or not you are infected. Technically, every Antivirus and Antimalware running scheduled scans are also "On-Demand Scanners" so I should be set with Emsisoft and Kaspersky :p

And I'm not technically happy about not having "good" back ups, hence why I have a box with Windows Server 2012 on it which I'll use as a file server, but I just moved in my new appart and I'm still sorting things out so it's not possible at the moment haha :)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
I would reccomend getting something like CCleaner for keeping your system free of cluster. Probably use it at least every month. If you don't feel like having an ion demand scanner but Zemana is a nice addition to a system regardless if you will scan with it or using it for protection.

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
@J Gamez065 : I usually clean my temporary files manually, and even there, I only do it when I feel like I need more space on my SSD, or if I have caching issues within my web browsers. I used CCleaner in the past and I also recommend it, but right now I don't see the need to use it myself :)

@Cohen : It would be way too annoying :p Default level is good for me.

@jamescv7 : I don't have an external HDD yet, only a 32GB USB flash drive which I use to transfer big files and/or create bootable installation media. I'll wait till Black Friday or boxing day to buy an external HDD, but from what I can see, the prices of HDDs are raising now so I'll wait until they drop a bit lower :)

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Reactions: SHvFl and Overkill

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Reactions: SHvFl

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Since you can use "Anti-Privacy" lists in uBlock Origin, there's no need, yes. Pretty sure you could export's Ghostery's list and import it in uBlock Origin too.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
anti-privacy filters, I dont feel them effective
I'm using privacy badger. It works perfectly with UBO without causing extension problems. It can block tracking third-party cookies

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Since you can use "Anti-Privacy" lists in uBlock Origin, there's no need, yes. Pretty sure you could export's Ghostery's list and import it in uBlock Origin too.
I actually have ghostery installed but not for blocking, since I block ALL 3rd party content sometimes it's difficult to figure out what needs to be allowed on a site (for example a video player isn't loading or working) so ghostery helps by showing info on the stuff that has loaded (so I know what is bad like trackers etc) that i'm not familiar with along with the logger it really helps me figure things out, but this is not for everyone obviously :)
I run UBO with default lists and it does a great job :cool:

Reactions: SHvFl

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.