Aura's Protection Setup - KIS Veteran

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
So I guess this is my current protection setup. I'll edit it tonight I guess as this is just what I can think of on top of my head. I've been a Kaspersky Internet Security user for around 7 years and it never failed. I know how to customize it and adapt it to my needs and can also set it up on other computers for other users if needed. Kaspersky is the #1 Antivirus company for me and the results it have in the Antivirus Benchmarks confirms it I guess (along with ESET and one or two other companies).

I use Windows BitLocker as I try to work with Windows in-built features as much as I can to explore it more everyday and also because it does a pretty good joob. As for my Antimalware tools, they are the most recommended when you're being assisted by professionals for malware removal and I also know how to use them properly in almost any situation there is.

The only thing I'm lacking is a way to back up my data. However, I'm running a dual SSD/HDD setup on my computer, where my OS and heavy resources programs (Visual Studio, SQL Server, Netbeans, etc.) are on my SSD and everything else (personal files too) are on my HDD. I'm not too worried about my HDD failing as I have a good WD Black and also I have experience with file recovery software if ever needed.

I could add more plugins to my browsers, yes, except that I didn't had the time to look into that yet. I will as soon as I can however.

I also use VirtualBox for malware testing, and I have 3-4 VMs setup with Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bits installed on them, all with a 30GBs HDD space and 2GBs of RAM. I also test suspicious files in Sandboxie INSIDE these VMs (also, there's a 0day currently on Sandboxie, so be careful).

As far as I remember, I've never been infected in my life and if I did, it was on the family computer where my parents or little brother downloaded a malware and I was the one that removed it completely, so I started pretty young.

I guess that's all there is to say on my setup for now. I might edit this tonight to add more details, programs, etc.

Any comments, questions or improvements I could do ?

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Your configuration is very good, but I have a question for you... I remember you saying something about kaspersky has a built-in anti-keylogger or something like that. (This was about 7 months ago)

Reactions: DardiM and Kent

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Your configuration is very good, but I have a question for you... I remember you saying something about kaspersky has a built-in anti-keylogger or something like that. (This was about 7 months ago)

Yes, the Kaspersky Virtual Keyboard. However, this is a feature that brings up an actual virtual keyboard and you type with it. In KIS2013+, when you enter a password let's say on Paypal, you get a notification saying that the virtual keyboard is enabled and working while you enter your password. You can also add websites, domains, etc. where you want that keyboard to be enabled.

Reactions: DardiM and Oxygen

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
nice setup, maybe u can test ublock ( https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/µblock/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en ) instead of adblock plus. its lighter and have no whitelist for ads and u can easly add under options more lists they are listen but not aktivatet on default.

Thank you for your suggestion, I'll give it a look tonight.
Also, pretty sure one of Kaspersky's extension is also an "Adblocker" so I'll add it to the list. I just need to right English name for it as I'm running a French version of Windows and Kaspersky.

Reactions: DardiM

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
I dont think you need MBAM Premium on real time protection with KIS 2014.I always used MBAM as an on demand only.Thanks for sharing your config :)

My Malwarebytes Web Protection Module has never been enabled as it have WAY too many false positives, and the notifications gets annoying. However, the System Real Scan one doesn't really mind me. I don't experience any conflict, nor slowness/sluggish performance on my computer so it's fine. Also, every downloads are filtered in an isolated VM and thoroughly analyzed before being transferred on my host system.

But that's a good point too. As I never got infected, I could disable it to see if there's any performance difference and go from there.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I used KIS for many,many years and I always just used MBAM as an on demand scanner.KIS offers superb protection and kept my machines infection free for all of those years.The only performance issues I experienced with KIS was a slightly longer boot time and that was not a problem for the level of protection it provides.If you are using it without web protection enabled and its working for you thats great.Just my preference since KIS is a really feature rich suite,I always just left it as on demand.

Reactions: DardiM and Moose

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Seems to me like a bit over the top config. Yet it is good but for my own personal taste a bit to much.
But pretty good m8.

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Seems to me like a bit over the top config. Yet it is good but for my own personal taste a bit to much.
But pretty good m8.

What is over the top ? Which aspects ?

I used KIS for many,many years and I always just used MBAM as an on demand scanner.KIS offers superb protection and kept my machines infection free for all of those years.The only performance issues I experienced with KIS was a slightly longer boot time and that was not a problem for the level of protection it provides.If you are using it without web protection enabled and its working for you thats great.Just my preference since KIS is a really feature rich suite,I always just left it as on demand.

That's true. I'm a big fan of Kaspersky and KIS mostly so I should trust it more but I don't know, I've never really been bothered to disable that real-time protection haha ! But I will tonight.

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
why 2014, KIS 2015 is released.

I have a licence for KIS2014. Not sure it works on 2015.

@Aura u testet ublock mate? :) im sure u will switch from adp to ublock :)

Sorry didn't had time to do much testing yesterday as my GF came over and ... Yeah. I had to make her study sushis (she started working at Sushi Shop). I'm not supposed to see her tonight so I have the whole evening to test. Or I could put it on my Chrome at work and see how it goes.

Reactions: Koroke San

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
There will be a couple KIS 2015 giveaways coming soon for all you KIS Fans :)

That's generous of you, thank you.
I have the chance to live in a country where 3 licences of KIS or KP are between $20-$30 so I'll be good I guess, hahaha !

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
Thanks for sharing your config, but why TrueCyrpt ? i think it's already dead program ?
think.gif

Reactions: Kent

Aura

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Thanks for sharing your config, but why TrueCyrpt ? i think it's already dead program ?
think.gif

TrueCrypt isn't totally dead yet. The 7.1a version is still working and secure, if we believe the Part I of the Security Audit that has been released on it. Part II shall be released in a few months and will confirm if TrueCrypt is indeed secure or not. Also, I only use it for an encrypted container with personal files in it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.