Battle Auslogics Disk Defrag, Defraggler Or Smart Defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

win7holic

Thread author
Apr 20, 2011
between, Auslogics Disk Defrag, Defraggler and smart defrag.

Which you have chosen as an effective defragmenter? ,
and what is the reason you chose it?

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I think UI shouldn't be super cool and modern; as long as the user understands what the "old" UI says and does a good job then the UI is not very important.

I

illumination

I use Auslogics Disk Defrag for a couple reasons, as stated in other post on this topic. The speed for one, being able to "optimize" also.. In the Advance section fo Auslogics is an option to "optimize" even more, by moving system files to the front of the hard drive, which on slower systems without much power, is a "plus" feature!

G

Guest28

I have used smart Defrag on my grandmothers computer she likes it and knows how to use it so i think smartdefrag is my choice.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Each with his own I guess. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. Auslogics is really fast and VSS compatible but some feel that the optimization it does is inferior to other products and it also doesn't have a boot-time defrag. I recently had a fragmented MFT and tried to defragment it using Defraggler, Puran free, Smart Defrag free and even a trial version of O&O defrag. All failed to reduce the number of MFT fragments.

Puran defrag is not VSS (volume shadow copy) compatible (I am not sure about the others, except Auslogics, but I suspect they can encounter the same issues). Puran's help file has some recommendations to prevent the loss of shadow copies on disks: format your disk with a cluster size of 16K (not always an option and a "waste" of space, most of us have a 4K cluster size) or disable many of the optimization features.

From Microsoft:
The System Shadow Copy provider uses a copy-on-write mechanism that operates at a 16-KB block level. This is independent of the file system's cluster allocation unit size. If the file system's cluster size is smaller than 16 KB, the System Shadow Copy provider cannot easily determine that disk defragmentation I/O is different from typical write I/O, and performs a copy-on-write operation. This might cause the Shadow Copy storage area to grow very quickly. If the storage area reaches its user-defined limit, the oldest shadow copies are deleted first.
source
System Restore creates shadow copies so using non-vss compatible defragmenters might lead to the loss of Snapshots.

In case you are wandering, I managed to defrag the MFT using DiskTrix UltimateDefrag.

edit: Defraggler doesn't seem to be VSS compatible: link

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I am sure that in my case it failed to defragment it. Another thing I do not like about this defragmenter is that it doesn't respect Layout.ini. By default Windows keeps track of what files load during boot and every 3 days a defrag operation takes place in the background during idle time positioning those files on faster areas of your hard drive. Smart Defrag moves those files around according to its own optimization algorithm (probably based on last access time). This might lead to a slower boot process.

Use defrag c: -b command to force windows to re-areange files for optimal boot performace.

K__M

Jun 14, 2011
I use Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Lets say iObit lost my trust :dodgy:

I used to use Smart Defrag 2 but got rid of it for Auslogics Disk Defrag.

I am much happier with Auslogics Disk Defrag.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Auslogics Disk Defrag is the best between all of these. Defraggler is another good software. I don't like to use any software from IObit, I don't trust them. Go with Auslogics Disk Defrag.

D

Deleted member 178

restart using Smart defrag v2.2 and i dont see som uch difference, and the file optimization feature is better on my system than the one of auslogic.

jota13

Level 2
Verified
Dec 18, 2011
From these software's I know Defraggler and Smart Defrag. I prefer Defraggler because is faster and I trust this software. I use it often. But I think Smart Defrag is also good. Sometimes I use this software because it not only defragments hard drive but also optimize it. I use fast optimization in Smart Defrag when I use it.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I've been using Auslogics for a very long time. I like it's UI and settings better compared to the others.
How ever I once used Smart Defrag but switched when IObit lost my trust (MBAM issue). I've never tried Defraggler.

TomC

Level 1
Jan 3, 2012
I prefer Auslogics Disk Defrag and I think it is the safest defragmenter to use. I am a user of Auslogics Boostspeed 5 until now and I was not disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.