Battle Authy or Microsoft Authenticator 2FA?

reystar

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Which 2FA application do you guys recommend for 2FA use? I have been using Google Authenticator but, because I swap phones couple times a year I cba to move all of them all the time, plus i will be doomed if I lose the phone...so I am looking for something like Authy or MS Authenticator that will sync

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Which 2FA application do you guys recommend for 2FA use? I have been using Google Authenticator but, because I swap phones couple times a year I cba to move all of them all the time, plus i will be doomed if I lose the phone...so I am looking for something like Authy or MS Authenticator that will sync

I didn't know MS Authenticator syncs across devices these days, if so and I were to setup my 2FAs from scratch I'd go with that simply to consolidate how many service providers I use

These days that we use multiple devices, any service that syncs over cloud and also encrypts your stuff with AES is the way to go, I'm very happy with Authy, it's very convenient.

When I used Google authenticator I had a dosier with all the QR codes printed, which proved handy when I needed it but every new QR code I needed to add was a pain to "sync", Authy is way more convenient that that.

Reactions: Venustus

Protomartyr

Level 7
Sep 23, 2019
I've been looking to secure my accounts with 2FA and found this article to be helpful:
I think I'm leaning towards Authy.

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
You could read the post above yours... and then check the TOS...

Really. Is that all necessary?

I have read it, data is fairly masked, I don't understand why you see privacy issues there

I have read it, data is fairly masked, I don't understand why you see privacy issues there

Also for what they keep (not what they sent), it's fairly minimal and they claim to only share non-masked info when it's necessary for the services they provide.

It doesn't sound scary to me but even though they are based in the US, GDPR applies to them as well, so you could GDPR them and see what data they have shared.

Reactions: Venustus

Threadripper

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2019
Avoid GA at all costs, moving your codes from one device to another is a frustrating process and it's single device only. Out of the two I'd pick Authy, but if your password manager lets you store TOTP codes there then that'd what I'd use. I ditched Authy for Bitwarden Pro about a year ago.

ANNOx

Level 2
Sep 26, 2020
Microsoft Authenticator looks really good with backup to cloud option . online reviews say that on android it works good but on iphone's people are reporting icloud backup sync problems . How's it's usability and battery drain ? . I am using Google's but it is too much of a hassle when changing devices. Thinking about moving to Microsoft Authenticator .

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Microsoft Authenticator looks really good with backup to cloud option . online reviews say that on android it works good but on iphone's people are reporting icloud backup sync problems . How's it's usability and battery drain ? . I am using Google's but it is too much of a hassle when changing devices. Thinking about moving to Microsoft Authenticator .
The usability been greatly improved and they also added a bit smarter and better security a few versions back. Now it's even by default enforcing the phones own app lock feature. The battery drain is on my own phone, not much more then 1%, but I also allow the phone to automatic handle the battery usage for the app. Over all I would say it's more then negligible.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I wouldn't use both and can only recommend andOTP and Aegis from F-Droid (latter one is on Google store too)

Both are work completely offline, using encrypted database with secure unlock (Android Keystore) and provide encrypted backup without insecure cloud.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.