AV‐Comparatives, AV‐TEST and Virus Bulletin comment on allegations of inappropriate behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 21043

This is just sad, you cannot trust anyone anymore, not even your AV :(
If certain vendors(not naming any) were more ethical and complied with reasonable rules then this wouldn't be an issue (trusting your AV).

It's a shame certain vendors make a big situation when they could have: come clean previously and admitted what they had done/asked or permission or just not done it in the first place and played it fair to the other vendors. But no, there is always that one vendor (or multiple it seems) who have to ruin things and mess up purposefully at will.

Sometimes I really do wonder what actually goes through their thoughts when they try and outsmart professional testing companies. Seems like their plan did not work. Maybe they should listen and apply the rules and they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
If certain vendors(not naming any) were more ethical and complied with reasonable rules then this wouldn't be an issue (trusting your AV).

It's a shame certain vendors make a big situation when they could have: come clean previously and admitted what they had done/asked or permission or just not done it in the first place and played it fair to the other vendors. But no, there is always that one vendor (or multiple it seems) who have to ruin things and mess up purposefully at will.

Sometimes I really do wonder what actually goes through their thoughts when they try and outsmart professional testing companies. Seems like their plan did not work. Maybe they should listen and apply the rules and they wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.
Part of the problem is that this is a very competitive space. And everyone in it is vying to grow their market share. As in every other endeavor, there will be someone who takes that competitiveness to the extreme to gain an edge/advantage over the competition. A win at any/all cost mentality.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Well my father runs Windows 7 64-Bit without any updates or any AV, and his children are using his compy all day long, and he only got infected once yet.

D

Deleted member 21043

Im not going to deny it: I've never really liked Qihoo that much. Want to know why? Because I do not think they are very ethical. They have a security product, yet their product is constantly promoted through Adware? It may have nothing to do with them and may not be their fault but I don't see Emsisosft being promoted via Adware? (or am I blind?).

They could try to prevent it. Contact the authors, request it's removal and/or attempt to even take legal action. Yet, it persists that the Chinese version of Qihoo is promoted a lot (most occurances I see is the chinese version as opposed to the product having English as the primary language).

And now they have been caught cheating. All this has done is make me trust them even less than I already did (so I have gone to negative numbers when it comes to calculating trust I have for them) and make their reputation worse to other members who did use their product (potentially, although some won't even care about this situation occuring and/or even find out).

Qihoo knew what they are doing. They must have known what would have happened if they were caught: in the end they were caught (the truth always comes out) and now the companies have shared the news with everyone as a punishment (of course depending on the license agreement Qihoo signed it could be worse than this behind-the-scenes, although as far as I am aware it's just sharing the news and regarding the awards they have been disqualified (or am I incorrect?)).

Well done Qihoo. You've really helped yourselves out (sarcasm).

D

Deleted member 21043

Part of the problem is that this is a very competitive space. And everyone in it is vying to grow their market share. As in every other endeavor, there will be someone who takes that competitiveness to the extreme to gain an edge/advantage over the competition. A win at any/all cost mentality.
I totally agree with you. It is a shame some companies have to cheat. :(

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Im not going to deny it: I've never really liked Qihoo that much. Want to know why? Because I do not think they are very ethical.
Well Qihoo already a sordid reputation in their domestic market despite their dominance in that market. I think what a lot people in the West were hopeful of, is that Qihoo's sullied reputation in their home market would not follow with their international offerings. They really did have a chance to rehabilitate their image when they decided to branch out into the world markets. It is left to be seen now how this impacts/hurts them with their phenomenal user base going forward.

FireShootSK

Level 17
Verified
Feb 17, 2015
I think after this incident Qihoo got a lot hate from community and maybe goes bankrupt. :/ (It's my opinion)

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
Here's Qihoo stock price today:

q.png

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I wasn't following, Freddy, was it an up day, or down day, on Wall Street?

Edit: I just did a check both the Dow and NASDAQ were down today. Not sure how much to read into Qihoo's stock movement in a down-market. But if the stock continues to slide in a rising/up market that will more concerning.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
"Qihoo’s own QVM engine, was never enabled"
I'm curious, is it possible for a normal user to disable this engine? Cause I seem to recall some people saying it can't be disabled.

Reactions: Jaspion

Janl92l

Level 7
Verified
Nov 7, 2014
"*** UPDATE ***

Unfortunately we have to post an update to our current findings. So far we checked the possible manipulation of our protection tests. This is what is being reflected in the posted statement.

We have now started to evaluate the possible manipulation of our performance testing. We have found strong evidence that another company, not Qihoo, is optimizing their product to do well in our performance test by excluding certain files and processes from checking. This is based on filenames and process names and can pose a security risk as well! We will check with AV-Comparatives and VB100 to verify our findings and will let you know as soon as we have the final data."

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.