AV-Comparatives: Investigation in progress

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
"AV-C has uncovered an infringement of the testing agreement by one of the vendors participating in its tests. It has been found that a product submitted for testing by the vendor had been specifically engineered for the major testing labs, including AV-C; public availability of this version was limited. A second vendor is also being investigated for similar reasons. When this analysis is complete, AV-C will announce the measures it will take against the vendor(s) found to be in breach of contract."

There was a thread at kafan.cn about Tencent and (not 100% certain) Qihoo in this regard, but the post has since been deleted...
http://bbs.kafan.cn/thread-1824024-1-1.html

Update 04/28/2015:
"AV-Test, Virus Bulletin and AV-Comparatives had a conference call today. Further collaborative investigation is now in progress. We will give additional information in a joint statement with the other labs. We will keep you up to date."

Source: http://weblog.av-comparatives.org/?p=501

Last edited:

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Not surprising. I think it is likely companies design their products with testing labs in mind- which is not ideal. If they implement novel features that cannot be tested in the automated AV-comparatives environment, they lose out on potential PR and people wonder why they are not submitting for testing. So, the AV-comparatives environment, designed to be a convenience to AV-comparatives, becomes a limiting factor in AV software development and innovation. Yet, AV-comparatives has all the power here. All software companies would have to get together and agree not to design with AV-comparatives in mind...and that won't happen. Honestly, from my perspective it seems like AV-comparatives and others stifle innovation. At least these two companies didn't publicly release their testing lab specific version...I would guess other top scorers stay out of trouble by just selling everyone their testing lab engineered version :).

This reminds me of the whole thing with Comodo...
https://www.melih.com/2011/11/27/av...-and-financial-deals-with-anti-virus-vendors/

Quote from AV-Comparatives:
About the whole product test, we would like to see you in, but, and this is an official statement, which you can post in your blog, your product with the current sandbox and the current way it is working, is not compatible with our automation system

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Who is surprised by this? I would start with the fact that these AV companies have to pay AV-C, and the like, to participate in the testing of their products. This is taints the water for developers already under pressure for a good outcome for their respective products, plus the added pressure to get a positive return for their money/test fees. It is a strong inducement to do things, above and beyond, in order to get an edge on the competition. So what may have started out/intended as a well meaning public service venture becomes corrupt.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Better late than never, finally they realize about these actions which should make proper and overhaul change the way of test.

In other side of picture, it might be a coincidence as the duty of AV is to collect everything all the information of files and analyze for checking however seems its an unfair, unjust and greedy to activate the program for testing purpose for obtaining high rate product.

Well again at the end of the day, user reviews are more accurate than testing organizations. ;)

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
If they really want to test any product then, they should get hold of the products from the market.
AV Companies have to pay to get tested.
of course, avira detection is great but no 100%
They state on page 3: Even though some products reach 100% protection rates, doesn't mean that they always protect against every threat.

Reactions: Sr. Normal
S

Sr. Normal

It still can complicate any more .
Another site that I like to look at is https://threatcenter.crdf.fr/?Stats
It manages some more " credible" percentages , however , I am impressed to see Badiu and Avast as above, there are other antivirus that I find most successful position.
The best thing is that you see it

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
I think BitDefender and Panda are the two that cheat, we will see :)
Not very likely. More probable is Qihoo and Tencent. There was at least one foreign media report posted by a Wilders member living in China, (article has since been taken down) that Tencent accused Qihoo with gaming the File detection AV-C test by providing a specifically designed version of the antivirus that was only for testing purposes, and not available to the general public. Qihoo then countered with a similar accusation against Tencent.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.