AV-Comparatives: Investigation in progress

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Not very likely. More probable is Qihoo and Tencent. There was at least one foreign media report posted by a Wilders member living in China, (article has since been taken down) that Tencent accused Qihoo with gaming the File detection AV-C test by providing a specifically designed version of the antivirus that was only for testing purposes, and not available to the general public. Qihoo then countered with a similar accusation against Tencent.
Exactly, I even linked the forum post, but still nobody seemed to care and just threw accusations around.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If these two AV prove at the end of trial, then they are not really contented at all.

Both of them have a borrow license engine where they have a good start of progressing detection rate but professionalism must be considered as it covers the ethics in I.T industry which rules are rules.

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
There was an update today:
"AV-Test, Virus Bulletin and AV-Comparatives had a conference call today. Further collaborative investigation is now in progress. We will give additional information in a joint statement with the other labs. We will keep you up to date."

Reactions: aztony and Atlas147

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
If they really want to test any product then, they should get the products from the market instead of getting them from the vendors directly.

This is a brilliantly simple, obvious solution...really good point!

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
This is a brilliantly simple, obvious solution...really good point!
They download them directly from the website, but the accused vendors put modified installers up as soon as the new test began.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
They download them directly from the website, but the accused vendors put modified installers up as soon as the new test began.
I think the more likely case would be that they sent the testers a modified version? Knowing exactly what time they would download the file is very unlikely, plus there would be a hand full of people who would download the software at that exact time and get a modified version too, hence leaving behind clues.

Enju

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
I think the more likely case would be that they sent the testers a modified version? Knowing exactly what time they would download the file is very unlikely, plus there would be a hand full of people who would download the software at that exact time and get a modified version too, hence leaving behind clues.
I thought I read it somewhere, but I can't find it anymore, so you might be right! :cool:

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
An AV-C rep is stating on Wilders that they download the product directly from the vendor/developer website:

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015

Okay wow, so some consumers, if they happened to download on that day, got the modified versions as well. That is really tricky...

R

Ramona

28/04/2015 UPDATE:
AV-Test, Virus Bulletin and AV-Comparatives had a conference call today. Further collaborative investigation is now in progress. We will give additional information in a joint statement with the other labs. We will keep you up to date.

With this, maybe they will make some light about all this tests, AV. After this investigation i hope they will be more trusted.

Nirv5668

Level 2
Verified
Mar 21, 2015
Someone mentioned this article over at Wilders, it actually is interesting in light of everything. It sounds like there has been some push back from companies (although I wonder if Bitdefender is complaining? :p)

https://eugene.kaspersky.com/2011/10/18/the-holy-grail-of-av-testing-and-why-it-will-never-be-found/

Best part of it was this quote (of a quote):
It’s almost like the joke about the hunters being chased by the bear:

“YIKES! THE BEAR’S RUNNING FASTER THAN US!” SAYS THE FIRST HUNTER.

“NO WORRIES – I DON’T NEED TO RUN FASTER THAN THE BEAR, I JUST NEED TO RUN FASTER THAN YOU!” SAYS THE SECOND.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.