Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Survey Period: 15th December 2016 – 15th January 2017
Valid responses of real users: 2,513

Some key points:

46.9% use paid Internet Security
28.1% use free AV
15.9% use paid AV (truly becoming an obsolete practise)

58.2% use Windows 10
26.6% use Windows 7

71.8% use Android

48.3% use Google Chrome
33.6% use Firefox
3.5% use Microsoft Edge (laughable)

75% use independent tests/reviews to aid their product selection
10.4% use online forums to aid their product selection

77.6% use custom settings on their security product

Bitdefender is the most used MOBILE security in Europe and North America
Avast in Asia
Kaspersky in South/Central America

Kaspersky is the most used PC security in Europe and South/Central America
Bitdefender in North America
ESET in Asia

Very interesting read, I recommend you take a look.

sudo -i

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2017

SpectacularTheDude

Level 2
Verified
Jan 25, 2017
75% use independent tests/reviews to aid their product selection.
10.4% use online forums to aid their product selection.

WOW only 10.4% of people come to forums to decide on a product???
Considering that the vast majority of reviews out there are paid for and severely biased is shocking to know that 75% of people use them.

For me forums are the best source of information out there.

W

Wave

WOW only 10.4% of people come to forums to decide on a product???
Considering that the vast majority of reviews out there are paid for and severely biased is shocking to know that 75% of people use them.

For me forums are the best source of information out there.
The independent labs are completely misleading to people who don't understand them properly (but might think they do) and forums are just normally based on peoples personal preference.

The most reliable thing to do is test the product out yourself and make your own personal judgement and use it if you're comfortable with it and switch if you're not.

K

KGBagent47

"15.9% use paid AV (truly becoming an obsolete practise)" - For most (not all) products the IS version is just a waste of money that doesn't offer you any extra protection. Windows comes with a perfectly acceptable firewall and AVs block threats from the internet, so the whole term Internet Security is misleading.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
"15.9% use paid AV (truly becoming an obsolete practise)" - For most (not all) products the IS version is just a waste of money that doesn't offer you any extra protection. Windows comes with a perfectly acceptable firewall and AVs block threats from the internet, so the whole term Internet Security is misleading.

I agree, money thrown away, the Windows firewall is enough and other things you have in IS you find in free programs such as CCleaner.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
No. You are wrong. What a ridiculous statement. IS version is not a waste of money. IS suites offer anti-exploit protection, firewall protection, network attack protection, privacy and identity theft protection & safe banking features. You get what you pay for and with IS suites and for that money you get more security features.

What? Windows Firewall is enough? No. You are wrong again. Windows Firewall is not enough. Windows Defender (home version) is not enough. How do we know this? Because time and time again people are getting infected on Windows with just WF & WD enabled. Plus you have every AV test in the world where Windows Defender scores 50% detection on tests.

Last edited:

sudo -i

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
No. You are wrong. What a ridiculous statement. IS version is not a waste of money. IS suites offer anti-exploit protection, firewall protection, network attack protection, privacy and identity theft protection & safe banking features. You get what you pay for and with IS suites and for that money you get more security features.

What? Windows Firewall is enough? No. You are wrong again. Windows Firewall is not enough. Windows Defender (home version) is not enough. How do we know this? Because time and time again people are getting infected on Windows with just WF & WD enabled. Plus you have every AV test in the world where Windows Defender scores 50% detection on tests.
Thanks for being brave enough. I share these sentiments entirely. Emsisoft Internet Security's behaviour blocker is so far ahead of WD+WF or WF+any AV that it makes no sense to make sensationalist comments like that.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017

Learn to respect the opinion of others instead of calling ridiculous, we all have different opinions and experiences with AV, what may be good for you, may be bad for me, so respect must always exist. It's like your opinion there, I do not agree, but respect and would never call ridiculous :)

sudo -i

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
Learn to respect the opinion of others instead of calling ridiculous, we all have different opinions and experiences with AV, what may be good for you, may be bad for me, so respect must always exist. It's like your opinion there, I do not agree, but respect and would never call ridiculous :)
Your opinion was hostile. Calling it "money thrown away" is condescending to those that have spent on Internet security.

Source: https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/security_survey2017_en.pdf

I am honestly surprised that Avast is not as popular as ESET (based on the survey).

It's because this survey is heavily biased by those that answered the survey - mostly security soft enthusiasts and geeks.

For typical users, see the OPSWAT market share studies. Avast and Malwarebytes are the most widely installed 3rd-party security softs in the world. Bitdefender and Kaspersky are less than 6 % of all users.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
It's because this survey is heavily biased by those that answered the survey - mostly security soft enthusiasts and geeks.

For typical users, see the OPSWAT market share studies. Avast and Malwarebytes are the most widely installed 3rd-party security softs in the world. Bitdefender and Kaspersky are less than 6 % of all users.

Yes, Bitdefender and Kaspersky are the least used, and Avast is the most widely used in the world, according to OPSWAT, which collected this data from its more than 40 million customers, unlike AV-Comparatives, which were Some people who participated in the survey.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014

Pretty funny what you're saying :)

Your assertion corresponds to the average user who blindly believes what he reads on the internet.
Have you personal experience to evidence this?
Internet Security, nice piece of software, well packaged ,100% guaranteed protection...this is what they say!
I work with malware for years, and I have tested dozens of security apps, and I can tell you that separate and distinct products very often offer greater protection against attacks without spending a cent and without using IS.
Internet Security is awesome for the average user without specific skills, who believes in the false sense of security that he bought: and so the paid software is better than free software? I can say you: wrong!

Sandboxie+Avast free hardened mode aggressive+ZAM free+Macrium free, for example and you are safe without IS.
Add Comodo Firewall or Glasswire if you are paranoid even if Windows firewall is more than enough.

How many hackers have penetrated into your system, and how many zero day exploits have you seen?

Last edited:

That doesn't surprise me at all, everyone thinks they are a computer professional these days. Enthusiast is normal though, since they are interested hence they are taking a survey on computer security.

67.7 % = approximately 95 % of the 67.7 % were likely enthusiasts and the remainder those working within IT. This survey was answered mostly by security software enthusiast types.

The survey is not a general public survey - despite the fact that the general public could access it. That's the point - very few general public members took the survey.

It's a survey that serves only AV-Comparative's own selfish purposes. I can see from the posts in this thread that this critical fact is not understood.

WOW only 10.4% of people come to forums to decide on a product??

That's only for the specific subset of users who took the survey. The percentage of all users is probably less than 5 % - more like less than 2 %.

Last edited by a moderator:

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
IMO, if you want only Protection, 3-4 free products may offer you fully protection !

Comodo Firewall
Webroot Web Protection ( as its anti phishing is excellent )
Avast Free ( as an antivirus )
McShield ( as an USB Antivirus )
if you are a bit paranoid about exploits also can use malwarebytes anti-exploit
-------------------------------thats it!

but i personally, use Paid Antivirus for its Support, and its Privacy :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.