AV-Comparatives June Test

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
As @NullByte pointed out,there are a ridiculous amount of false-positives this time...
Personally I would rule-out F-Secure,Trend Micro,eScan,and Bullguard for that reason...
Regarding Emsisoft...Pretty high level of FP,s and User Dependent protection suggests that Emsisoft may not be a wise AV choice for Novice users..
Interesting to see Avira continue to perform well.

Noxx

Level 3
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
Personally, I don't count "User Dependent" because most people don't know what to allow or what to block (or if there is some type of malware inside a safe file/installer ... see most PUPs infections), the False Positives are way to high, it's ridiculous.

it's good for disclaimer purposes, but I completely agree, it shouldn't be looked upon as a con.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@Zerion
Awesome share, also note worthy is the RTTL Certification Test
Only 3 failed Certification (Listed Below)
1> Nano Antivirus Pro
2> TGsoft VirIT eXplorer Lite
3> Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus <--
Very surprised Webroot failed certification, well slightly surprised to be honest.

Source:
AMTSO Real Time Threat List (RTTL) based certification test

Certification Test - AV-Comparatives

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I
@_CyberGhosT_ thanks for the information.
I have just one question.
Why a vendor needs more than 98% protection rate to get certified? 97% isn't good?
I don't get it.
Thats the "standard" AV-Comparitives has in place for this type of testing.
It does seem kind of strict, but it is to protect the consumer so it fits.
PeAcE

Noxx

Level 3
Verified
Jul 13, 2016
@Zerion
Awesome share, also note worthy is the RTTL Certification Test
Only 3 failed Certification (Listed Below)
1> Nano Antivirus Pro
2> TGsoft VirIT eXplorer Lite
3> Webroot SecureAnywhere Antivirus <--
Very surprised Webroot failed certification, well slightly surprised to be honest.

Source:
AMTSO Real Time Threat List (RTTL) based certification test

Certification Test - AV-Comparatives

Not that I really care what they think, but it's funny how PCMAG named them one of the top AV's last month, and they don't even make it onto AV comparatives with the likes of Windows Defender, lol. Webroot deserves some flack, but it really is nice considering how tiny it is.

@Rod McCarthy - yes, VIPRE has very silently come back from the dead. Some argue that it's simply because of BD signatures, but they have a really nice HIPS/IDS.

D

Deleted member 2913

Emsisoft FPs are from Emsi or Bd engine?

Emsisoft simply uses Bd signs or filters Bd signs like for FPs, etc & then adds to Emsisoft products?

Emsisoft solves FPs by Bd for Emsisoft products or FPs by Bd needs to be solved by Bitdefender?

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@tonibalas
I agree, but you have to admit though with that approach it forces the vendor to really work on the real-time engines
and in doing that, it serves to better protect the consumer. It does make certification a challenge, but in the end if it affords better protection I am not going to complain.
Thanks Toni always a pleasure :)

R

Rod McCarthy

Now don't get upset, this is just a question...

How many of these antivirus vendors would be considered "good" or even fair if it wasn't for them using "for example" the Bitdender engine...

Lets take a popular one here "Emsisoft" would it be really that good without the Bitdefender support...

Then at the other end of the spectrum, we have Webroot, which gets slammed alot, but claims to do well all by itself or one its own..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.