AV-Comparatives June Test

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Not that I really care what they think, but it's funny how PCMAG named them one of the top AV's last month, and they don't even make it onto AV comparatives with the likes of Windows Defender, lol

I have a suspicion why Webroot looks better at PCMag than elsewhere, but I can't prove it, so I won't go further into details. The hints are out in the open, you just have to look which companies are involved in these tests and their relationships with each other.

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
Interesting position of AVG and Avast...:rolleyes:

Clipboard01.png

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Now don't get upset, this is just a question...

How many of these antivirus vendors would be considered "good" or even fair if it wasn't for them using "for example" the Bitdender engine...

Lets take a popular one here "Emsisoft" would it be really that good without the Bitdefender support...

Then at the other end of the spectrum, we have Webroot, which gets slammed alot, but claims to do well all by itself or one its own..
This delves into the realm of rented or leased engines, there are quite a few vendors that take part in this practice, some make it public while others tend to want to keep it on the "down low" so to speak.
I personally think that it gives the vendors an advantage over other competitors that can not afford a leased or rented 2nd party engine. But like I said earlier it benefits the vendor "yes" but in that, it also benefits the consumer so its a dual edged sword. I wont delve into the "fairness" of the practice because any that cant afford to lease an engine are going to cry foul by default.
Lets take into account too that Emsisoft for example openly uses a Bitdefender engine, but thats not the only aspect of what makes Emsisoft as strong as it is, its "no bloat" approach and Firewall all belong to Emsisoft, theres a reason Emsisoft is top notch and its not just its Engines.
PeAcE

Last edited:
R

Rod McCarthy

No offense intended in that last post. I guess in my mind I look at it like this, let me compare it to music:

1). I love Led Zeppelin they are as good as it gets, being the caliber of studio musicians.

2). I like Pink Floyd, The Beattles. 10 Years After, and ZZ Top, being close but they are not the same caliber as Led Zeppelin.

3) I don't care for some of his music, but you would be hard pressed to find a voice the likes of Tom Jones.

This is how I see anti-virus, you have Elvis and then you have guys pretending to be Elvis.

The question is "who is really at the top now"

Zerion

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2016
No offense intended in that last post. I guess in my mind I look at it like this, let me compare it to music:

1). I love Led Zeppelin they are as good as it gets, being the caliber of studio musicians.

2). I like Pink Floyd, The Beattles. 10 Years After, and ZZ Top, being close but they are not the same caliber as Led Zeppelin.

3) I don't care for some of his music, but you would be hard pressed to find a voice the likes of Tom Jones.

This is how I see anti-virus, you have Elvis and then you have guys pretending to be Elvis.

The question is "who is really at the top now"

haha, best explanation ever! I know what you mean tho, Its hard to know which one is the " Best " Since BD engine is really good alot of companys use it to compliment their own AV. :)

H

hjlbx

False positives are not that big of a deal.

User doesn't know what to do - block when in doubt. The user can always un-block something after determining if a file is safe or not. It's not that difficult...

Webroot will just give their customary reply: "Oh, you just don't know how Webroot Secure Anywhere works..."

Ask Webroot: "Well, please explain how WSA works."

Webroot\fanboy reply: "Oh, we can't tell you that... it will give malc0ders ideas."

If Webroot participated in AV lab tests more often, then nobody would buy it. Webroot is smart with their sales agreement with Geek Squad - Best Buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Regarding False Positives:
If we are speaking of a "Novice" user then...
User doesn't know what to do - block when in doubt
...is indeed a very good recommendation,but is it not unrealistic to expect that same "Novice" user to know how to...
.... un-block something after determining if a file is safe or not...
I am not deliberately being critical of your post @hjlbx ,I am just attempting to empathise with somebody who has never even looked at the AV that their Son/Daughter installed for them..
False Positives and User-Dependent decision making would be a nightmare for a novice I would have thought.

R

Rod McCarthy

User doesn't know what to do - block when in doubt. The user can always un-block something after determining if a file is safe or not. It's not that difficult...

Webroot will just give their customary reply: "Oh, you just don't know how Webroot Secure Anywhere works..."

Webroot\fanboy reply: "Oh, we can't tell you that... it will give malc0ders ideas."

If Webroot participated in AV lab tests more often, then nobody would buy it. Webroot is smart with their sales agreement with Geek Squad - Best Buy.

IF this is true, then one has to ask "Why bother even going to the expense, or taking the time to do these tests, and then give the results for free"....For money. then we should be able to find a money trail. If they want to protect their reputatin, then they should combat that popular criticism, by releasing the finacial records" ????

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

yeah, true
However, I think most novice users have no idea how to restore and unblock the FPs from the quarantine. I tried kaspersky and avast, even for me it takes 30s and several clicks to find out where the quarantine is (especially avast) to unblock Fps cuz they hide it very well. In this case my parents got the same problem and the just asked me for help even with the AV set in our language :D
with avira it's not a big deal cuz it's in the main screen

Last edited:
N

NullByte

This sounds so funny it made my day.

From AV-Comparatives and AV-TEST, I can see that BitDefender & Kaspersky are always in TOP 3. So, I guess they are ok :)

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014

In Webroot's defense I can say it actually works. How? I can not say because I don't know the big picture on how it protects. Why it works? Let me give an example.

I have this relative of mine who was always in fight with the PUPs. It was once every two months or so that I had to go and clean his computer from junkware. I tried different products - first Avast, then ESET and I think Panda Free "did time" there too. All result on some sort of stuff getting thru.
Now, after installing Webroot (been installed for 8 or so months now), I did not have high hopes. It's a beta product (I'm part of beta testing group) that has Web Filtering driver, so you don't need any web plugins or additions to be added to your browser.
So far, the machine has been as clean as ever. No traces of anything suspicious as I just checked it recently to confirm.

Of course since it's beta, it has this Web Filtering driver. But I believe that's one of the most crucial things that it has - it has blocked lots of websites and it's quite aggressive on PUP infested sites (that may come thru downloaders or ads etc).

So all in all, what matters is whole product performance. Yes, you can get malware file and execute it locally, but what if the malware was actually downloaded from web? Maybe it would have been caught before it even reaches PC.

On a sidenote, my malware testing with Webroot does not bring good results in detection, but I've seen in numerous cases that Webroot acts as some sort of mini-sandbox. It seems that while monitoring unknown files, Webroot does not grant those file full "freedom". Thus, it has avoided the infection to some level (even whilst file itself was able to run). I've confirmed it many times over and I think it's better than nothing or letting the files loose. Of course it should detect the files initially (in ideal case).
Moreover, I've seen it detect files that got past initially, about ~5 minutes later. Not all of them, but some. It really varies. So it confirms that their work methodology is actually quite good. Add Identity Shield and cleanup engine (that works after files get detected inside cloud) and you should be rock solid against all info stealers and malware (to some extent).

I like Webroot and I use it myself (mostly because of their Identity Shield)

Just my 2 cents :)

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

If Webroot participated in AV lab tests more often, then nobody would buy it.
Not very long a webroot paid customer, but i haven't experienced any bad support from them. Even if this article is 4 years old, it still applies to up-to-date WSA versions, and how it works (confirmed by Triple Helix) Webroot Bulletin Regarding AV-Comparatives Results - Webroot Threat Blog Not a fanboy, but i don't feel like they deserve such critique :(

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.