Hot Take Kaspersky Standard wins Product of the Year award from AV-Comparatives

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Yep, and I can tend to be one of those :) But when you have 3 licenses for 3 AVs (yep, I'm in ongoing treatment at AV Compulsive Anonymous, AVCA) and 8 PCs in your home and business network, can make it hard not to resist changing up some PC AV software once in a while. Even to test some new ones out. My AVCA counseling sessions, as you can tell, aren't taking hold, yet...lol :)
I need the meeting too

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
My AVCA counseling sessions, as you can tell, aren't taking hold, yet...lol :)
You need to work the 12 steps. As they say in one program "Work the steps or DIE!"* :D

*Mods - This statement is merely a quote and the poster neither implies explicitly or implicitly that anyone should die nor is it meant to advocate violence of any kind.

Last edited:

RansomwareRemediation

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2020
I have used Kaspersky, I still use it and I will continue using it because with this AV I have never been infected and it's light on system resources. Kaspersky Plus is my better choice over BitDefender, Avast, AVG, Avira, FSecure and Comodo wich I have tested and find them to be inferior.
The opposite happens to me, I find Kaspersky inferior and overrated, compared to products that are evolving like Avast and Bitdefender.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
For free versions, I also tried Bitdefender free yesterday but could not find out how to disable web scanning without the warning that features are disabled appearing in the program window and the system tray, so I went back to Kaspersky free. I didn't notice any slowdown in performance, though.

Before that, I used Avast free, which I think is the most complete feature-wise but feels heavier.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Congrats Kaspersky. They deserve it. However you can't ignore where they come from but $10 a year for a legit license? Yes please!

Only vendors missing this year are CheckPoint Harmony Endpoint and Deep Instinct Endpoint. Would really love to see some official tests on both products.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
The opposite happens to me, I find Kaspersky inferior and overrated, compared to products that are evolving like Avast and Bitdefender.

I don't find Kaspersky inferior or overrated, but I do like the 2nd part of your post in this regard. I wish F-Secure were evolving more, they discourage me at times in that after all of these years, they still can't resolve their FP issue? But many of us here have mentioned it hasn't been an issue that we've experienced. And that with Total Security they don't even have a right-click option to enable or disable the VPN (Avast One does), we have to open the UI to enable and disable it. I didn't see it listed as something that will be included in the 19.3 beta version, at least for now.

They are pretty much a set it and forget it (few options) but at times I think that is what F-Secure is doing, setting it and forgetting it, as that is their niche. Maybe it also has to do with all the ISP's they provide security for, that they have to engineer it that way for that market share?

nicos181987

Level 1
Verified
Well-known
Jul 25, 2021
I don't know why they awarded Kaspersky as the product of the year while the offline detection rate is only 82.9, while Bitdefender, for example, is an excellent 98.2% (the same as the online one).

They should've given the prize to Bitdefender, not to Kaspersky.

PS: I use Kaspersky, because I think it's very good, and because Bitdefender has various issues of BSODs. With Kaspersky I never received any BSOD, while with Bitdefender is something that happens frequently (on different computers).

Last edited:

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
I don't know why they awarded Kaspersky as the product of the year while the offline detection rate is only 82.9, while Bitdefender, for example, is an excellent 98.2% (the same as the online one).

They should've given the prize to Bitdefender, not to Kaspersky.

PS: I use Kaspersky, because I think it's very good, and because Bitdefender has various issues of BSODs. With Kaspersky I never received any BSOD, while with Bitdefender is something that happens frequently (on different computers).

Their, Kaspersky's response can be found here:

I had other issues with BD and gave up on it as well. On my devices, Kaspersky and F-Secure are both very stable, with no issues that I can recall.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.