Impact of Consumer Security Software on System Performance

slimjet_2019-05-07_01-00-59.png

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018

When the performance test (above) is combined with the most recent real-world test, VIPRE and Tencent win in protection to performance ratio.

What an odd result.

Take it with a grain of salt..

But you never know, things always change...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
The way they tested performance is not so relevant to the user habits of people like me.
Performance is highly individual. You need to try out a product on your own system, with your own applications and user habits, or else you are bound to get a skewed picture.

Performance Test Methodology | AV-Comparatives

Test Setup:
"The hard disks are defragmented before starting each individual test run"
"Archiving and unarchiving"
"Installing an uninstalling applications"
"Downloading files"

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018

Impact of Consumer Security Software on System Performance

View attachment 213326
Mcafee is a great surprise, i am using internet security about 3 weeks now and indeed is very light,lighter from Avast free or KSCF, used it in recent past.Only boot time is a liitle slower.

Nevi

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
@Burrito Tencent is one of the lightest antiviruses there is (lighter than just about every other antivirus) and for a while now it has been one of the top scorers in protection tests.
That sounds exciting. Tencent use 2 engines, their own and Bitdefenders. If it is so light as you say, it could be a winner. But a really light antivirus with Bitdefenders engine in it? What hocus pocus is involved?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
When I used to have Eset I would occasionally double check if it was running. It's so light that it feels suspicious. It's like not having an AV at all.
You are paying a price for the lightness. I will quote an interesting post I saw on this subject:

Ultra Male said:
With ESET's NOD32 for example, it will never scan a file again provided the file hash (like a file fingerprint) hasn't changed. That's why when you install NOD32, you wanna run a full system scan once as that will tremendously improve your computer's performance since those files that were scanned before will not be scanned and the AntiVirus now just sits like a security guard for your computer protecting you from bad websites, downloads, and new files.
anon:
That leads to on-execution scan/detection only.

i.e. =
Today you run a full scan, you have the X malware but your AV signature database miss it.
Tomorrow, a new signature for the X malware is added but the file (which is already scanned) remains with the same hash = whitelisted => undetected.

uduoix

Level 5
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
The way they tested performance is not so relevant to the user habits of people like me.
Performance is highly individual. You need to try out a product on your own system, with your own applications and user habits, or else you are bound to get a skewed picture.

Performance Test Methodology | AV-Comparatives

Test Setup:
"The hard disks are defragmented before starting each individual test run"
"Archiving and unarchiving"
"Installing an uninstalling applications"
"Downloading files"

All this works super fast with WD on my PC and laptop. According to AV-Comparatives WD should slow down pc quite a bit

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
All this works super fast with WD on my PC and laptop. According to AV-Comparatives WD should slow down pc quite a bit
Interesting. Some users have reported that WD performance improved when they used a more recent version of Windows 10. So the OS version is another factor to consider.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

i.e. =
Today you run a full scan, you have the X malware but your AV signature database miss it.
Tomorrow, a new signature for the X malware is added but the file (which is already scanned) remains with the same hash = whitelisted => undetected.
However, this claim has been refuted by an ESET rep:

The local cache is flushed during a module update so it wouldn't happen that a detection was added and the malware sitting on your disk would be undetected because the scan result was cached.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If it is so light as you say, it could be a winner. But a really light antivirus with Bitdefenders engine in it? What hocus pocus is involved?
It is very light even on low end systems. Sometimes antiviruses using signatures from another vendor, are lighter and sometimes significantly lighter than the original product.

It does have some issues though and the lack of English language support is also an issue.

AV-Freak

Level 1
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
It is very light even on low end systems. Sometimes antiviruses using signatures from another vendor, are lighter and sometimes significantly lighter than the original product.

It does have some issues though and the lack of English language support is also an issue.
And, Emsisoft using Bitdefender engine along with its own engine runs lighter than Bitdefender.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
You are paying a price for the lightness. I will quote an interesting post I saw on this subject:

Ultra Male said:

anon:

i.e. =

Dont bother with this Anon guy argument, its totally wrong, I will clarify later (I am on my smartphone).

bribon77

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
The test was done with a low / medium range PC in these times. If you have a PC with better features, the impact would not be noticeable.

Baseline system: Intel Core i5-6006U machine with 4GB RAM and SSD drive

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.