Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
2 All the advanced security solutions you mentioned have post-exploit protection to handle this type of attack. H_C and AppGuard might need a little configuring, whereas ERP and VS are good to go at default settings.
In the attack which I had in mind, most solutions on default settings would fail, because nothing is executed (in a standard way). Only the applications which are set to block loading any unknown DLL (default-deny) could be efficient. One could use AppGuard, H_C, Excubits Bouncer, or NVT SOB in this way. Yet, filtering DLLs makes life difficult as default-deny solution and can have an impact on performance, too.:unsure:

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
In the attack which I had in mind, most solutions on default settings would fail, because nothing is executed. Only the applications which are set to block loading any unknown DLL (default-deny) could be efficient. One could use AppGuard, H_C, Excubits Bouncer, or NVT SOB in this way. Yet, filtering DLLs makes life difficult as default-deny solution and can have an impact on performance, too.:unsure:
Thanks for clarification. Do you remember how the dll is loaded in this attack? It is not by rundll32?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
In my experience which is recently limited on the three PC's at home, I notice not one jot of a difference in moving very large files boot or anything else between AV solutions - I I gave this a try yesterday as was waiting for a delivery - Between Emsisoft, ESET IS & Norton Deluxe, (Dr. Web was on initially). Of course Emsisoft no longer participate in AV-Comparatives (good on them) but as I remember was quite heavy in their testing - As ESET was the last one I tried for fun it's still on :)

This PC at least isn't earth shattering but does have 16 GIG RAM which IMHO probably makes all the difference? As to the charts as to which AV catches the most evils the differences are so minute they are within any margin of error in any other testing regime, & anything above 95% is almost perfect, I feel. (I wish I had a 95% chance of being alive in one year) The charts start at 75%, one I looked at the other day started at 80% which is the only way any differences show up, fifteen years ago the differences were large, now I feel use the AV you like the most & suits the PC you use.

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
This PC at least isn't earth shattering but does have 16 GIG RAM which IMHO probably makes all the difference?
Having 16GB of RAM shouldn't have much of an impact on performance. Unless you have a lot of browser tabs open or are running memory intensive software, you would probably not see much difference between 8GB and 16GB of RAM.

I've used just about every antivirus there is and there are very few that never slow down my computer. Most of them cause noticeable slowdowns at times and some make my computer run much slower all the time. I'm sure the CPU is a big factor. My main computer only has a 2nd gen i5. It is more than fast enough for what I use my computer for, but, not doubt a faster CPU would help with AV performance.

Twenty years ago, I didn't notice much difference in performance between different antiviruses, but today I do.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
... I notice not one jot of a difference in moving very large files boot or anything else between AV solutions...
The differences can be seen when copying many EXE files. If AV does not use caching (most AV use it) then all files are thoroughly scanned. The more files, the greater the difference.(y)

Khairul

Level 2
Verified
Feb 3, 2015
Just asking, is it tencent safe? i mean, with the recent of huawei p30 collecting data and sent directly to ip related to chinese government, huawei and tencent is different company, but again the both from mainland china right? correct me if im wrong

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Just asking, is it tencent safe? i mean, with the recent of huawei p30 collecting data and sent directly to ip related to chinese government, huawei and tencent is different company, but again the both from mainland china right? correct me if im wrong
False information.

As a solely maintainer for this project, please accept my deepest apologies for mistakes which cause misunderstadning for Huawei brand and customers. The fact that Huawei P30 Pro initated connections to beian.gov.cn is not true.

Top comment via -https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/bg834t/new_huawei_p30_pro_found_to_be_querying_servers/

o/t.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Panda seems somewhat light but iis it good in detection?

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
Kaspersky becomes lighter when file heuristics are in default (light mode).

Every time I tried to change to medium, I noticed the computer a little slower.

Having 16GB of RAM shouldn't have much of an impact on performance. Unless you have a lot of browser tabs open or are running memory intensive software, you would probably not see much difference between 8GB and 16GB of RAM.

I've used just about every antivirus there is and there are very few that never slow down my computer. Most of them cause noticeable slowdowns at times and some make my computer run much slower all the time. I'm sure the CPU is a big factor. My main computer only has a 2nd gen i5. It is more than fast enough for what I use my computer for, but, not doubt a faster CPU would help with AV performance.

Twenty years ago, I didn't notice much difference in performance between different antiviruses, but today I do.
More threads makes difference.

L

Local Host

Kaspersky becomes lighter when file heuristics are in default (light mode).

Every time I tried to change to medium, I noticed the computer a little slower.
That test was done on Kasperky IS, the performance hit is unrelated to heuristics and the normal AV suite performs near ESET (on default settings).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.