AV-Comparatives Product of the Year 2012

D

Deleted member 178

A post in Emsisoft forum to respond to a user who thought EAM used an outdated engines from BD.

also you can compare the signature names during the updates of EAM with those of BD, they are same.

I will try to recover the post but it may be complicated :D

I

illumination

Anyone ever heard the expression "beating a dead horse with a stick" :rolleyes:

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
For a while I had both Bitdefender Internet Security 2013 and EAM 7 installed - I can confirm what Umbra said, the updates are being downloaded at the same time. The only difference I noticed, and this is purely subjective, is that the EAM update speed of BD signatures was slower than the respective Bitdefender update, which was no issue for me.

Back on topic, I actually expected Kaspersky to get the POTY 2012. During the year, Kaspersky and Bitdefender proved to be formidable competitors, which technically led the way, apart from a surprising, late Trend Micro surge. Had it been Kaspersky, there would similarly be posts about it being a hog, etc. And this drives home the main point of AV-C, like them or not, their methodology, any perceived bias, or not - this isn't so much about usability, nor is this focused on performance, it's first and foremost about protection.

As the MasterCard advertisement goes, for everything else - there's a product of the year for each and every one of us :)

D

Deleted member 178

Yes EAM updates speed are slower, surely due to the implementation of 2 engines.

Btw, there is Emsisoft confirmation:

Fabian Wosar (Emsisoft dev) said:
Just compare the bdcore.dll used in EAM with the one used in BitDefender products. It is identical.

Fabian Wosar (Emsisoft dev) said:
We are actually using the same update repositories that Bitdefender uses in their software. So engine and signatures are essentially updated at exactly the same time as Bitdefender.

Source:

F

Fabian Wosar

raxa707 said:
why everytime on every site and on every tests bitdefender is always the winner? i mean comodo, emsisoft and others are not evern included in the list or tests..........
The budget to participate in the AVC test series this year has been approved. So depending on the results of the AVC questionnaire we may be included in the tests this year. It all comes down to how many people voted for us to be included as test as spots are limited like every year.

NathanF1 said:
The only difference I noticed, and this is purely subjective, is that the EAM update speed of BD signatures was slower than the respective Bitdefender update, which was no issue for me.
That mostly depends on where you are located. One of the reasons why we switched to Bitdefender is that it allows us to use our own infrastructure to distribute updates. Don't get me wrong, I am sure Bitdefender's infrastructure is great, but we had our fair share of bad experience with systems where we didn't have full control over the update process so we decided to use our own instead. One of the downsides of our update infrastructure is that it is largely based in Europe simply because that is where most of our users are located. As a result, depending on where you are located and how good your connection to Europe's major backbones is your download speeds may vary.

D

Deleted member 178

Thanks for the informations Fabian, and thank you for joining our forum ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Another developer here. :D Hope a Trend Micro joins in the future.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.