AV-Comparatives Product of the Year 2012

King Grub

Thread author
Jun 7, 2011
And the winner is... BitDefender!

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/summary-reports/253-summary-report-december-2012

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Bitdefender is much improved and probably one of a couple that you could say would qualify for a Product Of The Year award.You have to take this Av comparative report for what its worth.Their product of the year and mine or yours might be totally different based on your system and security needs.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
King Grub said:
And the winner is... BitDefender!

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/summary-reports/253-summary-report-december-2012

Read the complete report before coming to an conclusion that BitDefender is the winner. Take into considerations, the false positives, the known bugs that take years to fix (especially the one that just permanently deletes falsely detected files on your system without any warning, skips the quarantine where you can never recover them), the price and the customer support. For the price you have to pay for BitDefender products, you should be entitled to get more stable releases, prompt bug fixes and good customer support but you don't get any of that. You can get much better support from free security products.

I don't consider BitDefender to be a winner until issues get resolved.
I personally believe they are paying AV testing Labs to get better scores on their tests as a way of advertisement. How could BitDefender get higher scores then products like G Data & F-Secure which also use BitDefender engine and updates plus other AV engines?

Thanks.:D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I agree 100 percent but I think he was just quoting the report which did say Bitdefender was their product of the year for 2012.like I said take it for what it's worth. Like u said if you look at the whole report it doesnt seem to me to be the product of the year. I slso agree that this award is biased.In the end, at least for me., it wouldnt make a difference if they said ClamWin was the product of the year.

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
what works for one might not work for another
as we all have our own individual configs and habits :p

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
An extremely large grain of salt was taken because most of us knows how AV-C does business. :rolleyes:

I

illumination

MrXidus said:
An extremely large grain of salt was taken because most of us knows how AV-C does business. :rolleyes:

Should save that salt for a nice cold Margarita, and skip the review ;) :D

raxa707

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
why everytime on every site and on every tests bitdefender is always the winner? i mean comodo, emsisoft and others are not evern included in the list or tests..........

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
raxa707 said:
why everytime on every site and on every tests bitdefender is always the winner?

Because Bitdefender has to much money and time on their hands.

softwareFREEk

Level 1
Verified
Dec 27, 2012
old Adage: you get what you pay for!!!

at least here on MalwareTips forum you can read REAL user reviews to back up your purchase decisions

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Littlebits said:
[How could BitDefender get higher scores then products like G Data & F-Secure which also use BitDefender engine and updates plus other AV engines?

Well Yes it uses a BD engine but its still not the same as Bitdefender itself.
AV-Comparatives does real world, file detection tests, etc.
Just because it uses the same engine, does not mean it will perform the same as Bitdefender itself.
Bitdefender has its own Cloud, HIPS, Web blocking, and many other features that others do not.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
3link9 said:
Littlebits said:
[How could BitDefender get higher scores then products like G Data & F-Secure which also use BitDefender engine and updates plus other AV engines?

Well Yes it uses a BD engine but its still not the same as Bitdefender itself.
AV-Comparatives does real world, file detection tests, etc.
Just because it uses the same engine, does not mean it will perform the same as Bitdefender itself.
Bitdefender has its own Cloud, HIPS, Web blocking, and many other features that others do not.

And so do the others that use the BitDefender engines.
F-Secure already had several of the features years before BitDefender had them. The added features in BitDefender apply mostly to real-time protection, so on a on-demand scan AV test F-Secure, Bullguard, G Data and other that use BitDefender engine should be very close but they are not close. Which indicates something is not right with these AV testing labs. You can't tell me a product with one single engine can have better file detection on a on-demand AV test than a product that uses several AV engines like F-Secure.

Thanks.:D

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
Well other explanation could be that Bitdefender updates its signatures first and then provides the updates to secondary engines like EAM a few days or a week later.

So at the time of test the newer samples used would not be detected by the secondary engines but only by Bitdefender.

LOL its possible and PS I am no Bitdefender Fanboy LOL

D

Deleted member 178

arsenaloyal said:
Well other explanation could be that Bitdefender updates its signatures first and then provides the updates to secondary engines like EAM a few days or a week later.

So at the time of test the newer samples used would not be detected by the secondary engines but only by Bitdefender.

wrong, they are released to any other vendors at same time, the other companies are linked to the BD servers (as i know,at least for EAM)

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
I gave EAM as an example, its not tested by AV-compatarives anyway LOL and EAM is only recently added BD Engine, so other vendors might be still behind in updates.

D

Deleted member 178

Honestly if i was a vendor paying for an engine and signature, i would be a bad businessman to accept receiving them after days or weeks ;)

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I dont think Bitdefender give their latest engines to other companies. That is the difference. Although they may be using BD engine the sensitivity and some adjustment must have been made to make it compatible with their engines.
And as far as opinion goes here, i have used Bitdefender and in my eyes it is worthy of product of the year.

D

Deleted member 178

malbky said:
I dont think Bitdefender give their latest engines to other companies.

For Emsisoft they give the latest one, don't know for the others.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.