Status
Not open for further replies.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
What a change I should say.
Never thought I would see Avast only getting a one star Standard rating.
O_O

http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/dynamic-tests/167-protection-test-march-june-2012-overview

P

Plexx

there has been some ranting around regarding avast, although I am still trying to catch up with the ranting.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Biozfear said:
there has been some ranting around regarding avast, although I am still trying to catch up with the ranting.
I'm trying to catch up with it too,

So far around the net I been hearing about FP's increasing (Proved in this test), Detection rates slipping, and sandbox is not working correctly.

Im a huge Avast fan and I really hope it doesn't fall!

P

Plexx

3link9 said:
Biozfear said:

So far around the net I been hearing about FP's increasing (Proved in this test), Detection rates slipping, and sandbox is not working correctly.

Not sure about FP's but 2 reasons I left Avast recently was Detection rates and the sanbox. Sandbox decided to sandbox my bluetooth services (out of nowhere, along with Live messenger).

That only happened on the last updated version. Reverting to previous one was even worse as I experienced random boot and shutdown slowdowns.

There is also some opinions about Panda recently from their URL Filter not detecting much as it was before to behaviour components and even detection rates.

I mean, I am fine with all that and I can always go to ESET but 2 of the new features are making me a bit sceptical too (see ESET forum in MT).

By the look of things, it looks like I will be running a companion AV on its own, which is fine since I know what I am doing...

B

Brian

I think Avast free performed well due to the fact that it was tested along with paid security suites.

D

Deleted member 178

3link9 said:

Avast 4 (good) -> Avast 5 (poor) -> Avast 6 (excellent) -> Avast 7 (????)

Hope it is not cyclic :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Geeze, Avast didn't do that well this time, but it seems that Kaspersky, GData and well Bitdefender but that is included in GData and same with Avast.

I see that Bullguard did well, anyone know what engine it uses?

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
McLovin said:
Geeze, Avast didn't do that well this time, but it seems that Kaspersky, GData and well Bitdefender but that is included in GData and same with Avast.

I see that Bullguard did well, anyone know what engine it uses?

Bitdefender engine for virus engine and for firewall, it uses Outpost engine.

Great in prevention but lacking in removal of viruses.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Syntax said:
Bitdefender engine for virus engine and for firewall, it uses Outpost engine.

Great in prevention but lacking in removal of viruses.

Hmm yeah I see. GData was great when I had it installed, only thing that I had the issue of was a bit heavy and had an issue when I went to install PhotoFilmStrip, kept crashing the program.

P

Plexx

On g data, you can choose which of the 2 signatures you want. Some users reported using one was better in terms of performance.

On my tests I used both but not to an extend of daily usage for over a few days.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does anyone use the (RO) BitDefender Free Cloud version? How does that compare to the paid BitDefender for the rest of the world?

anitac

Nov 29, 2011
What the.... I am very impressed with avasts results. Only 21 compromises! Even the many false positives were only user dependent.

Take a look at previous results. avast 6 did worse in protection, particularly the last report.

P

Plexx

Now back on topic, Trend Micro had shown improvements on the AV Comparatives tests.
@McLovin how do you feel about the results for TM?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Topic Split.

Avast's 1 star from AV-C continues here:
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Avast-s-decline-to-1-star-in-AV-C-March-to-June-discussion

P

Plexx

Earth said:
Does anyone use the (RO) BitDefender Free Cloud version? How does that compare to the paid BitDefender for the rest of the world?

I tried but due to being in Romania, I wasn't sure what to click so I couldn't really test it. I personally didnt feel comfortable.

Any ideas when there will be an English version?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Appears that BitDefender has made it to be exclusive to Romanian users.

I don't think I could translate the language well enough to use it, but I really wish BD still had their free edition (that lacked realtime scanning).

P

Plexx

I still wonder why they are making a Romanian interface solely. There has to be a reason behind that. Could it be some sort of open testing approach?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Biozfear said:
Now back on topic, Trend Micro had shown improvements on the AV Comparatives tests.

I personally think they did well. As everyone knows Trend is well known for it's web guard and how strong it is as for block malicious websites. It's AV signature though can be improved. I personally will stick to the opinion that if people are confronted with a dangerous page and they enter it they will be entering at their own risk. Most common users (that I have seen) would just leave that website straight away.

malwarekiller

Mar 30, 2012
McLovin said:
I personally think they did well. As everyone knows Trend is well known for it's web guard and how strong it is as for block malicious websites. It's AV signature though can be improved. I personally will stick to the opinion that if people are confronted with a dangerous page and they enter it they will be entering at their own risk. Most common users (that I have seen) would just leave that website straight away.

Who says they havent improved with signatures this year?? they surely have...see: http://malwaretips.com/attachment.php?aid=1883

the fact that trend yet needs to do something on signatures as it let in ramnit on here: http://community.trendmicro.com/t5/Malware-Discussions/Trojan-Ramnit/m-p/82878#M11546

P

Plexx

McLovin said:
Biozfear said:

Indeed their web guard is well known. If we could strip down every client and pick components form each, Trend's web guard would be amongst one that I would pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.