AV Comparatives - Real World Protection: March 2017

Xsjx

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Read the methodology and you will understand why...obviously you just like picture...

Please, if you post a test , made it properly, with links to the whole test nit just an image. thanks.

If you think i like this picture you are wrong..

This is just not true...
And yes Avira has 100% but i care 0% about Aviras score..

Reactions: given and SHvFl

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I voted probably. I rely no testing sites but our testers, whose enviroment is much more similar to our (regular users). Still, it is certain that if somebody gets to know how to protect Windows, is Microsoft. Hopefully they get the lead here :)

erreale

Level 9
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
Whenever a new test comes out there are various factions (fanboy?) Defending or deride the result. The results almost always depend on the methodology used during the test. I honestly I never swayed from these tests, but I always looked for the best product (for my needs) alone trying various software.

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
after reading the interesting other thread ("Here's why i strongly disagree with the latest AV-Test results"), and after beeing myself an avira fan because of those kind of graph, I'm trying to learn the MT lesson : Read the methodology

So, here, I can see interesting things (if I understand well):
- they are evaluating response of AV in front of malicious url
- before, they were evaluating "several tens of thousands malicious URLs", but this time only 329 (but they say they are representatives of everyday life).
- Avira is tested in it's Pro version (not the free one)
- They are "using all their protection features"
- I don't understand if they are using default parameters or not ?

So, a few month ago, I would have said: wow, my Avira free is the best !
Now, I can say that avira "pro" is top against those 329 malicious url, (but others too, like BD, and others).

I hope I've succeeded in my home work ;)

D

Deleted member 178

You know many people are "idiots" and can't grasp that improvements can be achieved, especially if a product is average , it is easier to make it better than a top notch product with no more room for any improvement.

Those fanboys that can't believe than Windows Defender can be better than their product, are mostly beginners with few clues about security. All what they know come from what they read from someone else that read someone else article, etc...... they don't even dig in the details.

- "i can go faster with my feet than a plane "
- "impossible, you had to cheat"
- "no, on a 5 meter race , i win"

All is about the details, not the bare result. Especially in those test made by labs. And as i said thousand times, you can't compare results from labs, because you don't know what are those samples and where they come from.
For example, i could select 90% samples originating from China, so all Chinese AVs will score higher than any others.

I don't mind much about test labs, because i know their methodology, they will never achieved anything near "real-world" , all they do is just extrapolation. so i take their result as info but not as real results.
So those fanboys/haters fighting over results just made me laugh by showing their ignorance. Hilarious.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
This test is stupid as most tests but if offers a general idea on how bad some products are based on false positives. Nothing more and nothing less.

EDIT: Everyone got a million % again btw. Good job to all they are all the next best thing.

inuyasha

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Apr 9, 2017
You know many people are "idiots" and can't grasp that improvements can be achieved, especially if a product is average , it is easier to make it better than a top notch product with no more room for any improvement.

Those fanboys that can't believe than Windows Defender can be better than their product, are mostly beginners with few clues about security. All what they know come from what they read from someone else that read someone else article, etc...... they don't even dig in the details.

- "i can go faster with my feet than a plane "
- "impossible, you had to cheat"
- "no, on a 5 meter race , i win"

All is about the details, not the bare result. Especially in those test made by labs. And as i said thousand times, you can't compare results from labs, because you don't know what are those samples and where they come from.
For example, i could select 90% samples originating from China, so all Chinese AVs will score higher than any others.

I don't mind much about test labs, because i know their methodology, they will never achieved anything near "real-world" , all they do is just extrapolation. so i take their result as info but not as real results.
So those fanboys/haters fighting over results just made me laugh by showing their ignorance. Hilarious.

umbra, i like your style

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Ok, I can now declare that Microsoft Defender is now finally a viable option. They are no longer garbage in dynamic tests and as a surprise, after Creators Update, it's also not garbage slow anymore. Opening my downloads folder filled with tons of files is now done in an instant where before it took like half a minute to list and sort the files by date as it was checking them one by one. So, cheers for that MS. Took them bloody ages to get rid of that nauseatingly slow scan engine...

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Read the methodology and you will understand why...obviously you just like picture...

Please, if you post a test , made it properly, with links to the whole test not just an image. thanks.
Exactly, I read this whole article, and this post mis-represents the article.
Should not be able to do this here ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.