AV Comparatives - Real World Protection: March 2017

"MY AV ONLY SCORED 98.5 % THIS TIME !"

or

"MY AV SCORED 100 % THIS TIME, BUT THEY HAD TO SELECT BLOCK IN THE ALERT FOR 6.0 % OF THE SAMPLES !"

"I'M SWITCHING BACK TO WINDOWS DEFENDER UNTIL THE NEXT PUBLISHED TEST !!!!!!!!!"

Really... ???

Last edited by a moderator:

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Seeing Windows Defender beating big names like Avira and Kaspersky is pretty much like seeing Samsung defeat Apple in quality and design.
Very unlikely some years ago, but it is happening since the S6 :D

PS. Just a innocent comparison, I know Kaspersky is still much better than Windows Defender ;)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Seeing Windows Defender beating big names like Avira and Kaspersky is pretty much like seeing Samsung defeat Apple in quality and design.
Very unlikely some years ago, but it is happening since the S6 :D

PS. Just a innocent comparison, I know Kaspersky is still much better than Windows Defender ;)
Competition makes for a better world for us.

Reactions: brod56 and ZeroDay

Moi61

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Wow, again, Bitdefender is leading. Really impressive. Microsoft is getting amazing. This is a bad signal for all antivirus companies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Wow, again, Bitdefender is leading. Really impressive. Microsoft is getting amazing. This is a bad signal for all antivirus companies.
MS sure is getting amazing.......and she is also amazing in stealing your privacy info

;)

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I think AVComparatives is the most credible test at least in my opinion.
However, regardless of this result, WD had the potential to improve, I do not see anything strange.
Saying that it is better or worse than other top vendors is only a concept related to the dynamic evolution of the malware.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
MS sure is getting amazing.......and she is also amazing in stealing your privacy info

;)
Privacy's existence in the amendments means that it is meant to protect your freedom. But you can alternatively be lawful enough not to be targeted and more importantly be financially free to be free. People will stomp on your freedom anyway and this is a better and more convenient way of having that. Hiding won't save you and you're not exactly free when hiding since hiding demands giving up the convenience and freedom technology gives.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
This is the way Windows Essential was when it first came out, performing just as good or better than some of the paid antivirus programs. Now you watch them start screaming bloody murder like before, especially Norton.

Reactions: FreddyFreeloader

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Quite surprise to Microsoft and I'm pleased to see that the protection capabilities are decent among the others, although still it lacks the mechanistic and behavior protection to balance it.

But of course a proper configuration of UAC and a companion tool like Voodoshield should lessen the bypass rate.

-------------

Same thing as usual, some 3rd party AV's managed to got perfect ratings since the samples that are taken are easily recognized through heuristics, generic and signatures.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.