Advice Request AV needing payment information before activating license

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Hi everyone,

Today I wanted to activate the Norton license I bought in the local computer shop last week. I turned out I couldn't even activate the license without providing credit card information to activate auto renewal. You don't have the option to skip this step at all. Their support page confirms this: Download your Norton product purchased from a retail store

It's the first time in several years of using Norton on that machine this happens. So after providing the info I had to manually deactivate the auto renewal subscription and I could remove my bank details, but if that's possible, why they needed it before activating in the first place?

I'm aware this auto renewal process is interesting for several users and it's part of the marketing strategy, but I'm really disappointed this is offered as an opt-out instead of an opt-in offer. The license was already bought so I activated it for now, but if it expires next year, I'll look out for other software.

Are there other AV companies that are taking this same direction? A bought license needs to work without providing extra information in my opinion.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
That's what's called bad website management. One simply don't enforce this on customers and later blame them when they accidentally forget canceling the renewal.

There's plenty other companies/vendors that don't behave like this. Use your right as a customer.

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Hi everyone,

Today I wanted to activate the Norton license I bought in the local computer shop last week. I turned out I couldn't even activate the license without providing credit card information to activate auto renewal. You don't have the option to skip this step at all. Their support page confirms this: Download your Norton product purchased from a retail store

It's the first time in several years of using Norton on that machine this happens. So after providing the info I had to manually deactivate the auto renewal subscription and I could remove my bank details, but if that's possible, why they needed it before activating in the first place?

I'm aware this auto renewal process is interesting for several users and it's part of the marketing strategy, but I'm really disappointed this is offered as an opt-out instead of an opt-in offer. The license was already bought so I activated it for now, but if it expires next year, I'll look out for other software.

Are there other AV companies that are taking this same direction? A bought license needs to work without providing extra information in my opinion.
I would have said H*** no and returned it!

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014

Attachments

• norton.JPG
    norton.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 248

videogamer1500

Level 2
Verified
Apr 4, 2019
i get it free from my isp. they give me the product key and i download it and activate it with the key. Norton does not ask for my credit card. this scenario is a bit different, but no credit card with my situation.
Xfinity's version of Norton is not the most updated Norton and therefore not as good as the real Norton 360. It is almost equal, but it is not the same.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
Xfinity's version of Norton is not the most updated Norton and therefore not as good as the real Norton 360. It is almost equal, but it is not the same.

i don't know about Xfinity, but what you said doesn't seem to ring true for my isp's offering. the version it provides is called "Norton security online". at Norton, when asked for the difference between this and 360, they said:

What is the difference between Norton Security and Norton 360?

"The main difference between the two products is in that Norton 360 provides Secure VPN, PC SafeCam, and Dark Web Monitoring. It also provides more of online storage for PC backups and files. "

so it is the most updated version. but it lacks a couple of features that i wouldn't use anyway.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
i don't know about Xfinity, but what you said doesn't seem to ring true for my isp's offering. the version it provides is called "Norton security online". at Norton, when asked for the difference between this and 360, they said:

What is the difference between Norton Security and Norton 360?

"The main difference between the two products is in that Norton 360 provides Secure VPN, PC SafeCam, and Dark Web Monitoring. It also provides more of online storage for PC backups and files. "

so it is the most updated version. but it lacks a couple of features that i wouldn't use anyway.
You got lucky less bloatware.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
When emisi launched its automatic update service last year, a number of people on the official forum said the process of choosing to reject updates was difficult (It's improving now.).
I understand the vendor's opinion that 'to prevent users from forgetting the expiration date and becoming unprotected', but if that's the only reason, there are plenty of other ways.
I have a strong impression that this is a method that targets the vulnerability of human beings, which is "forgetfulness".
In this case, I use a prepaid card.

L

Local Host

When emisi launched its automatic update service last year, a number of people on the official forum said the process of choosing to reject updates was difficult (It's improving now.).
I understand the vendor's opinion that 'to prevent users from forgetting the expiration date and becoming unprotected', but if that's the only reason, there are plenty of other ways.
I have a strong impression that this is a method that targets the vulnerability of human beings, which is "forgetfulness".
In this case, I use a prepaid card.
A good chunk of people don't know how to update their Software (and another good chunk simply doesn't want to update), this puts everyone else at risk with their outdated systems, is the main reason Microsoft enforces updates since Windows 10.

Looking at the major AV suppliers in the market, they all enforce product updates too.

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
A good chunk of people don't know how to update their Software (and another good chunk simply doesn't want to update), this puts everyone else at risk with their outdated systems, is the main reason Microsoft enforces updates since Windows 10.

Looking at the major AV suppliers in the market, they all enforce product updates to.
It would be fine if it was only security updates and doesn't automatically restart .
LTSC solves those issues but a consumer can't purchase it directly.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018

Looking at the major AV suppliers in the market, they all enforce product updates too.
In the future, Microsoft may withdraw money from its account twice a year due to major Windows updates.😵:LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.