AV-TEST AV-Test.org June 2019 with Webroot

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
...Windows Defender always has a lot of false positives on AV-Comparatives's test.
Only for files with low and very low prevalence. It seems that AV-TEST uses samples with medium or high prevalence.
avcomparatives.png

Edit.
In most cases, the false positives with low and very low prevalence appear because some developers do not bother to submit the executables for whitelisting, before publishing the application or application update. It takes 5 minutes via Submit a file for malware analysis - Microsoft Security Intelligence.
I do this for a few years without problems (except one case). The files are whitelisted usually after one day. The same is possible for most AVs.

Last edited:

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Happy to see F-Secure contantly on top :)

They do offer quality software and solid protection, but there's lack on grey area (PUPs etc). However, that seems to have improved after Avira was added to their "arsenal of weapons" if you will (y)
Its strength lies in DeepGuard + Cloud I would say. A lot of stuff must be blocked because it's prevalence etc. With links and everything coming from web - it's strong.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I don't believe Windows Defender no False Positive !!!!

I don't think it's too hard to believe. MS has/is working on improving their FPs and it does show. To be fair AV comparatives is the only test where WD has a lot of FPs, most other professional tests don't show WD having as many FP from what I can see. @Andy Ful explained earlier in this thread that WD scores high in FP in AV comparatives because it tends to flag very low to low prevalence files, meaning files/programs that are very new and/or no one uses, or has heard of. Files with medium to high prevalence WD does very well with very little to no FPs.

The problem with the AV comparatives test IMO is that people don't really take the time to properly interpret the test results. They just look for the total number without any understanding of what that number means, or how they got it. To be very honest, I would rather have a program flag a file/program as malicious that has a very low prevalence, rather than flagging a high prevalence file (ie: a critical system file), which could basically break Windows. To me, FP tests should be restricted to medium to high prevalence files/programs only, as it could be more catastrophic if a high prevalence Windows file is flagged, rather than some program that is not used by many IMO.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Kaspersky Norton F-Secure TOP

I don't believe Windows Defender no False Positive !!!!

Bitdefender Step Back.

McAfee AVG Avast Medium Programs .
If you do not believe about low WD false positives in this report, then there is no reason to believe that AV-TEST reported the proper results for Kaspersky, Norton, F-Secure, and other AVs.:unsure:

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
These two tests are not especially reliable - tested on the samples gathered by PCmag.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.