AV-Test Windows 10 Home User - April 2019

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

a1nn

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
During March and April 2019 we continuously evaluated 19 home user security products using their default settings. We always used the most current publicly-available version of all products for the testing. They were allowed to update themselves at any time and query their in-the-cloud services. We focused on realistic test scenarios and challenged the products against real-world threats. Products had to demonstrate their capabilities using all components and protection layers.

Full report: Test antivirus software for Windows 10 - April 2019

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
It does seem to me with this test & others find a AV you like, that runs well on your system(s) then stick with it, IMHO you wont go far wrong. As important as a AV or even no AV is regular imaging & data backup - Macrium Reflect (for example) has never let me down & with an external drives(s) your are pretty much safe. Dithering from one AV to another on the basis & half a percent difference is again IMO pointless. No doubt others may disagree :eek:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It does seem to me with this test & others find a AV you like, that runs well on your system(s) then stick with it, IMHO you wont go far wrong. As important as a AV or even no AV is regular imaging & data backup - Macrium Reflect (for example) has never let me down & with an external drives(s) your are pretty much safe. Dithering from one AV to another on the basis & half a percent difference is again IMO pointless. No doubt others may disagree :eek:

So what you mean in essence is, use your @Cortex! :LOL:

L

Local Host

11 Products with full protection score. are they using 10 years old samples? This is so misleading.
This tests are a grain on salt compared to real world protection. Plus you need to look at the details on how the test were performed to get a proper review, instead of jumping straight to the results.

Me, I'm not surprised with most of the results showing my overall opinion of those products:
  • AhnLab, Avast, AVG, BullGuard, k7, Malwarebytes, Vipre and eScan are not exactly consistent in their scores as always.
  • Avira, Comodo, Windows Defender, Trend Micro and Malwarebytes affecting overall system performance as always.
  • BitDefender, Kaspersky and Norton having an overhaul perfect score, again as always.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
  • AhnLab, Avast, AVG, BullGuard, k7, Malwarebytes, Vipre and eScan are not exactly consistent in their scores as always.
  • Avira, Comodo, Windows Defender, Trend Micro and Malwarebytes affecting overall system performance as always.
  • BitDefender, Kaspersky and Norton having an overhaul perfect score, again as always.

Yeah, that's a pretty good summation.

But.... Malwarebytes... even though it scored possibly as the worst product there** (just simply by adding up scores -- which is not a perfect methodology)... it's better than other recent tests.

This makes me think (once again) that Malwarebytes may in-fact be coming back. Maybe.

**Along with PC Pitstop which I don't yet fully acknowledge is a legit product

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
This tests are a grain on salt compared to real world protection. Plus you need to look at the details on how the test were performed to get a proper review, instead of jumping straight to the results.
Your absolute right. But we techy users realy dont need these test at all to be fair. They are for the mass, that they have a clue about how a av performs. They will never ever read how these test are perfromed, same as they never read the privacy policy from anything they use. they dont care. they just look at the results and think these products give you 100% protection and this isnt right in my opion.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
It would be good if Mbam were to once again be on the up, for many years for me it was the de-facto malware protector, not sure what happened with version 3 but it went badly wrong. I think they now have a good interface I really hope things improve.

So what you mean in essence is, use your @Cortex! :LOL:
Your absolute right. But we techy users realy dont need these test at all to be fair. They are for the mass, that they have a clue about how a av performs. They will never ever read how these test are perfromed, same as they never read the privacy policy from anything they use. they dont care. they just look at the results and think these products give you 100% protection and this isnt right in my opion.

I recently acquired quite a few 16 GIG USB sticks & gave them free to some of the 'mainly' nurses I work with along with (explicit) instructions in the vain hope that I may get less grief/phone calls - This has had a very limited success rate. What truly amazes my how intelligent people with a decent well setup AV system & the means to do at least basic data backup still manage to either mess things up totally or become infected/lose valuable data, these often within short period of time :mad:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017

I totally agree.
The masses of people do not configure anything for that reason, the tests are carried out without configuring anything, which is not normal for a person who knows some security, adjust your Av as much as you can. For example, CIS does not work well in this test, but if it is configured correctly, CIS is an impenetrable castle.

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I will be the devils advocate here and post the full Windows Defender results:

Capturar.JPG

Notice that the only really bad result was from the "installation of frequenty-used applications" and this scenario isnt that much important in real life usage, IMO the first and third scenario usage are much more relevant.

Its great that Windows Defender is that good now, the average windows user has never been safer than today with Windows 10.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
It would be good if Mbam were to once again be on the up, for many years for me it was the de-facto malware protector, not sure what happened with version 3 but it went badly wrong. I think they now have a good interface I really hope things improve.

There's always Malwarebytes AntiExploit Beta for free. Better performance than MBAM IMO. Add it along side your favorite AV. It has a following over at Wilders.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Notice that the only really bad result was from the "installation of frequenty-used applications" and this scenario isnt that much important in real life usage, IMO the first and third scenario usage are much more relevant.

I agree wholeheartedly.

This result on performance mimics my overall experience using WD. i don't install and uninstall programs on a daily basis and I think it would be safe to assume that the vast majority of people (including techies) don't do this on a daily basis either. To be brutally honest, I've never really timed how long it takes to install a program using WD, it still seems to happen fast enough for me anyways. What I mean is, if I took the time to time it and compare it to another product and if I find that it take 10 more seconds (for example) than the other product, is 10 seconds more really that bad?

Its great that Windows Defender is that good now, the average windows user has never been safer than today with Windows 10.

It be very honest, it's getting harder and harder to justify 3rd party AV/suites anymore. Not saying WD meets everyone's needs, nor am I saying it's perfect, but when you take the overall (significantly improved) protection, it's fairly good performance, the built in/free price, along with no annoyances/ads, it's really hard to beat. I have fully switched to WD, with OSA and will be adding @Andy Ful's new firewall app, I don't think I can do better in all honesty. I mean what would I gain from going with a 3rd party, a few seconds faster installing a program, a task I don't do often?;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.