AV testing!

D

Deleted member 178

You're getting wiser by experience.. love your paronoid mindset it helps others to understand sometimes the simplest thing are better.
Take care my metal brother. ;)

Thanks, i could just use only two softs of my huge list , and i will still have better protection than any AVs; but i love all the softs in my config, without them my computer life will be boring :p

take care you too ;)

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
The human mind is more powerful than any software. Cyber criminals can break ANY software but they can't break your mind unless you let them. AV, AE, etc all the same to me. They all require common sense and user intervention to be truly effective otherwise you mind as well cross your fingers and hope for the best.
-------------------------------

Anyway thought I'd mention that I don't use Firefox. I use Chrome for these test but IE also has gotten the same results. Skipping Dr. Web for slow download speeds (400MB file makes it worse) and G Data due to annoying sign up process just to get a free trial. Not feeling 100% today so I'm just not in the mood. Sorry. Could someone else do Dr. Web and G Data?

McAfee is not vulnerable McAfee.png

Agnitum is not vulnerable Agnitum.png

SecuraLive is not vulnerable SecuraLive.png

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
New data point and summary to date (all testing done on Win 10 64 bit):

Avira AV Pro + Firefox = not vulnerable
Avira AV Pro + Chrome = vulnerable

Avira AV Pro + HitmanPro.Alert + Firefox = not vulnerable
Avira AV Pro + HitmanPro.Alert + Chrome = not vulnerable

Avira + HMPA = looks like my new real-time protection dynamic duo - HMPA even seems to patch up Chrome's security hole.

This finding also makes me think all testers should also add what other real-time protection is running if they did not already do so.

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I'm not sure if I was clearly expressed in the last post.
Test with IE8 is vulnerable and test with FF is not.

Maybe I misunderstood what you want to say.
Still IE8 on my Windows 7 VM mentioned to pass the test without AV protection.

Overall it seems definitely programs that contains exploit techniques may help to improve the protection and vulnerabilities at all so test are way interesting.

omidomi

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
The human mind is more powerful than any software. Cyber criminals can break ANY software but they can't break your mind unless you let them. AV, AE, etc all the same to me. They all require common sense and user intervention to be truly effective otherwise you mind as well cross your fingers and hope for the best.
-------------------------------

Anyway thought I'd mention that I don't use Firefox. I use Chrome for these test but IE also has gotten the same results. Skipping Dr. Web for slow download speeds (400MB file makes it worse) and G Data due to annoying sign up process just to get a free trial. Not feeling 100% today so I'm just not in the mood. Sorry. Could someone else do Dr. Web and G Data?

McAfee is not vulnerable View attachment 78239

Agnitum is not vulnerable View attachment 78241

SecuraLive is not vulnerable View attachment 78242
thank u very much :)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Tested 360 TS + Firefox in the 360 sandbox and failed.

Added EMET to the PC and Firefox to the protected processes in EMET and passed the test the second go round. Thanks to Umbra's layered security post here:

Umbra's Concept of Layered Config

EMET is super light-weight and gives users the ability to target vulnerability points on their PC for special protection, so that a broad variety of zero day type scripts will be blocked. This is like NoScript for entire programs and even parts of programs. Learned alot today, and based on that I recommend looking at Umbra's post and read up on EMET...

D

Deleted member 178

if you can afford to pay Malwarebyte's Anti-Exploit premium or Hitman Pro Alert Premium , both do the dame job (and even more) and are stronger than EMET.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
if you can afford to pay Malwarebyte's Anti-Exploit premium or Hitman Pro Alert Premium , both do the dame job (and even more) and are stronger than EMET.

How much more would you say they do? I mean, is EMET a waste of time in comparison? I have EMET 5, which doesn't look much different than 4 from what I have seen of that program. Also, do you have a preference between the two?

I have the trial version of MBAE on another PC, but I can tell it doesn't do much. I assume it's much weaker than MBAE premium. A little confused if the issue is only that it cannot be configured for any program or if it is a functionality issue.

Gonna run the AVulnerability test on the other PC for knowledge sake...

D

Deleted member 178

MBAE free protect just the browser while the premium version for all application you want. HMP Alert paid add additional protections and include their famous malware on-demand scanner. if you can pay , you would go for HMPA.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Well, for what it's worth, MBAE free does protect Firefox. The other PC fails the AVul test without it running on that PC. Firefox passes with MBAE on...

Reactions: Der.Reisende

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
MBAE free protect just the browser while the premium version for all application you want. HMP Alert paid add additional protections and include their famous malware on-demand scanner. if you can pay , you would go for HMPA.

OK, thanks very much...

Reactions: Der.Reisende

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.