AVAST 2014 R4 (build number 9.0.2021) final released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Hi all,

We are more than happy to announce AVAST 2014 R4 (build number 9.0.2021) program update.

We're introducing several important pieces in this release:
  • We've improved the security of the product - e.g security of our processes (guarded by the self defense component), we handle the conditions for the Guest account better, we are very senstitive for any incorrect inputs from the user with a negative impact on the system's security, or, we tuned the import settings functionality not to allow bypassing any protections
  • We've added "resume" support in the setup component, so some of you should notice smoother downloading - depends on a "quality" of your connection (mainly during the program update where the amount of data is quite big)
  • We've included a new antispam library (IS/Premier editions) for better accuracy of our anti-spam module
  • We've put warnings during the installation process if there could be some obvious problems resulting in not 100% functionality after the installation (missing admin rights, insufficient space on disk, etc.)
  • We've added ability to disable promotion popups (in PRO/IS/Premier editions). We strongly believe that our additional products can be valuable for you, but we also respect your will not to be bothered by such offers.
  • We've performed a static analysis of our code resulting in many fixes (but don't worry, nothing was critical, just a small tuning
  • General bugfixing - this covers a lot of stability & performance changes in all components (but the main focus was traditionally on the network & engine components)
Source

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Avast continues to force ads on free users.

oTgK7Re.png

However there is still a work around to block all ads.
Block both inbound and outbound connections with your Firewall (Windows Firewall works great) to "avastui.exe"

Avast will still continue to function normally but if you need to register your free key you will have to use the web method you can not register with the program.

Enjoy!! :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Avast, BD, Comodo, Kaspersky , all bloated and worthless the shot...
All AV's are now bloated and will probably get even worse, I can remember back when Nod32 v.2.7 was the ultimate light AV, that is no longer the case now. Malware has got so bad that vendors keep adding more and more protection features which just add extra bloat and causes many false positives detections. Browsers and modern Windows have got so much more secure that drive-bye downloads really no longer exists, the user has to manually download, ignore UAC, ignore Windows Admin Run warning and then choose to run the infected file. There was an article a few months back that indicated about 95% of infections is caused from user errors not from security products.
So if a user is careful they can use just about any AV product and still never get infections as long as they keep their software and Windows updated. Cautious users don't need to drive a tank, they can do fine with a shorts car. Reckless users don't have tank license therefore don't know how to drive because the tank is useless to them.

The only hope for reckless users is Limited User Accounts.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Nice one. Will still be an Avast! user

FYI. ESET have low detection rate when it comes to our locally written worms

Reactions: Littlebits

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
Due to my IP(Iran) I could not register the new version online.
I filled the offline form and I received the license.but the new license was invalid

1.PNG

I repeated the procedure and I got the same result.

I had a key for the previous version(4 months ago) and it worked....my Avast Free is now activated for 240 days

Capture.PNG

Any Idea why the new license are invalid?

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I have no idea. I always use Facebook for registering though I also have a license (Dec 2013)

Reactions: phyniks

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Due to my IP(Iran) I could not register the new version online.
I filled the offline form and I received the license.but the new license was invalid

View attachment 14646

I repeated the procedure and I got the same result.

I had a key for the previous version(4 months ago) and it worked....my Avast Free is now activated for 240 days

View attachment 14648

Any Idea why the new license are invalid?
Look at the first image you posted carefully. Notice the "Offline Registration" use that instead, it will open your browser to the registration page and just fill out the required info and your email address, they will send you registration key and you can manually enter it.

Reactions: phyniks

phyniks

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Nov 17, 2013
Look at the first image you posted carefully. Notice the "Offline Registration" use that instead, it will open your browser to the registration page and just fill out the required info and your email address, they will send you registration key and you can manually enter it.

thanks but,That s the way I ve mentioned (as I said,due to my IP from Iran,I could not register online,so I went for the offline mode)
This is the email they d sent me.....you can see the license ....but the license was invalid according to Avast:

1.PNG

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
You may try to uninstall your avast! product using the avast! Uninstall Utility followed by a reboot. After that, install avast! again (better download the newest version) and try to insert the key again. :)

Hope that will help!

I must say I admire the way that you have just posted to this thread to offer help and not used it as an opportunity to launch into a ranting tirade about how users shouldn't be blocking ads in avast! There are some representatives from competing products who have visited here who I dare say would take a much different approach.

Aside from the excellent product one of the reasons I like avast! is the friendliness. You get the sense that you could sit and have coffee with the people at avast! whereas (with some notable exceptions), I've never really experienced that speaking with anybody at other antivirus companies.

avast! Protection

Level 2
Verified
Jun 27, 2014
@Cowpipe, thank you very much for the kind words! I really appreciate them! :)

I like helping people, not arguing with them, so you can be sure that I won't stop supporting users here and start any AV battles for any reason. That's why I've subscribed for the "Avast" sub-forum in general. :p

The friendliness of avast! may lie within the fact that the antivirus is community-driven. And if the community was consisted mostly of grumpy, selfish people, then I am 100% sure that avast! wouldn't be that great as you've described it. :p

Reactions: Cowpipe
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.