Battle Avast 7 Free vs Panda Cloud Antivirus 2.0 Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocsi

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 26, 2011
What do you think is better (detection (on-demand / on-access), disinfection, use resources etc.)?

P

Plexx

Totally 2 different products.
You cant simply compare a solution which has file system shield, web shield, network shield, sanbox, cloud and signatures database against a strip down cloud only with a relatively fresh behaviour approach solution.

If you were to compare Avast 7 AV Pro or IS with Panda Antivirus Pro, then you could have a decent comparison.

Avast 7 fee with PCA 2.0, you can forget about it, since it would be like comparing potatos with tomatos.

D

Deleted member 178

I vote Panda cloud !

i will tell you a story:

Once upon a time, my Girlfriend got infected by a bounty hunter malware vicious enough to make her laptop fall on its knees...at that time i called Jedi Knight HMP and Master MBAM, none of them could remove it, then on my USB lightsaber i had a young Sith called Darth Panda...i bid him to kill the infamous malware, after using the dark Side of the Force into a scan , the malware was annihilated and the laptop run fast as before :D

P

Plexx

umbra is watching too much starwars!

Regardless, you cant simply compare these 2 products. On detection, Panda is at a big disadvantage. On removal, well both are not that great. On system usage, 2 different suites one being full cloud one being a mix, unable to compare, even if both use the same resources.

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
Biozfear said:
Totally 2 different products.
...cloud and signatures database against a strip down cloud only with a relatively fresh behaviour approach solution.
Panda has sigs too but yeah, not a full database (this includes PAV Pro). The behavior blocker has some TruPrevent technology but it is a stripped down to fit the smaller size because TruPrevent is a little heavy.

The way it works was a little confusing to me at first, and kinda still is.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Here Are My Thoughts
1) Scanning Speed > Avast (Panda is a bit slower)
2) Configuration > Avast (Panda Lacks Configurations)
3) Disinfection > Both are Good (But Panda is useless without Internet being Pure Cloud)
4) Resource > Panda is a bit lighter than Avast
5) Web Protection > Both are almost same (except panda needs to install a toolbar)
6) Companion Av > Panda (Avast Cannot be a Companion AV)
7) Standalone Av > Avast

Final verdict
1)If You are looking for a free and Standalone Antivirus then i would recommend using Avast Free

2)If you are looking For a Companion Av then you should go for panda free (be sure to check compatibility with other antivirus before using as companion Av)

3)You Could also use both Avast as your Main AV and Panda as Companion ( But I am Not sure if they work together or Not since i have not tried)

These Are only my opinion others may have their own Think and choose wisely as per your requirements
THANKS

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Do you have a source (ie. website or blog) claiming Panda Cloud to be a companion AV?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You mean a PANDA, which has 5 characters. Comparing a Tiger with a Panda.

If you don't have anything nice to say, I'd advise not to say it at all.

Stranger said:
its like comparing tiger with ****** :p

sorry i have no word for ***** but avast is surely a tiger :D

D

Deleted member 178

loveboy_lion said:

2)If you are looking For a Companion Av then you should go for panda free (be sure to check compatibility with other antivirus before using as companion Av)

and Panda as Companion ( But I am Not sure if they work together or Not since i have not tried)

Are you sure?

Tobi

Jul 7, 2011
loveboy_lion said:
2) Configuration > Avast (Panda Lacks Configurations)
3) Disinfection > Both are Good (But Panda is useless without Internet being Pure Cloud)
5) Web Protection > Both are almost same (except panda needs to install a toolbar)
7) Standalone Av > Avast

Panda Cloud became more configurable in 1.5, and 2.0 expanded on that. While it still lacks a lot in this area, it has improved.

Useless without internet? o_O Panda Cloud removes the infection locally and a cache of definitions is stored on the user's PC. Web protection is a little different, as the URL Filter does not scan pages in realtime or anything. PCAV and Panda AV use the same engine.

Where did you get your info? About Panda Cloud being a companion AV? There seems to be some confusion among a few users because many cloud AVs such as Webroot and Kingsoft can be companion AVs (even providing a companion mode). Panda Cloud is not designed to be a companion and is advised not to be ran as one.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Earth said:
You mean a PANDA, which has 5 characters. Comparing a Tiger with a Panda.

If you don't have anything nice to say, I'd advise not to say it at all.

Stranger said:
its like comparing tiger with ****** :p

sorry i have no word for ***** but avast is surely a tiger :D

I definitely mean it by panda but not using any offensive word.

P

Plexx

There is only one way to find out if Panda Cloud can be run as a companion av. I doubt it can but hey... any guinea pig willing to test?
I will be busy later today so im unable to test it.

P

Plexx

Tobi said:
Panda Cloud became more configurable in 1.5, and 2.0 expanded on that. While it still lacks a lot in this area, it has improved.

I'm not sure where you seeing the options to configure much in 2.0. At least the free version lacks customization.

The current customization of Panda Cloud Free is comparable to FortiClient Lite basically.

D

Deleted member 178

Tobi said:
Where did you get your info? About Panda Cloud being a companion AV? There seems to be some confusion among a few users because many cloud AVs such as Webroot and Kingsoft can be companion AVs (even providing a companion mode). Panda Cloud is not designed to be a companion and is advised not to be ran as one.

it is what i knew about Panda.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I only think Panda cloud free to be a companion Av not the pro version since it lacks protection if there is no internet Connection (This is my personal opinion)

And If you really want to see how it performs disconnect internet and try executing malwares

My Personal experience recently
There was a shipping company i visited not long ago for a job interview and was in waiting room when my aunt who was working as an accountant for the same company called me for help since her boss computer and all computers over there internet was not working for past 2 days and for some odd reason the computer was also working slow when i reached her boss the computer Admin was there and to my notice all the computers were installed with panda cloud free and that was shocking since being a huge company it was using a free antivirus (The Admin had no knowledge of what was wrong and dint even know what to do) As per request of the boss to check what was wrong i plugged in my laptop to their Lan and internet was working fine (I always carry my laptop with me) so i burned comodo rescue disk on a USB and Scanned the boss computer and it found many setting changed and some registry and files which were infected almost 8-10 files (cant remember the exact number) after cleaning with rescue disk the internet was working again so scanned with malwarebytes and hitman pro to be sure and they found nothing Now the boss was impressed but unlucky situation for the admin he got fired and it took me almost 8-9 hours to clean almost a 100 Computers and they all were infected with same virus lucky i could borrow more USB which made the job a lot easier and at the end of the day i was offered with two Jobs one for Admin which i was not interested and other my actual job which i wanted

This is my personal experience i dont have anything against panda the only thing was that panda was out of luck without internet and was in a bad place (corporate computers) and the Admin should had used their business version instead and for the record now the shipping company is Divided in two sections one protected by norton and other by kaspersky both business edition

Thanks

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
There is only one way to find out if Panda Cloud can be run as a companion av. I doubt it can but hey... any guinea pig willing to test?
I will be busy later today so im unable to test it.

Using Panda Cloud Pro with FW disabled along with ESEt smart security no Problem yet For past 4-5 Hrs

D

Deleted member 178

try to launch malwares on the combo, and see how they react ; this is what i do to check their compatibility and setup each of mine accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.