avast! 7 public beta

Status
Not open for further replies.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
some more info about their cloud technology
http://www.avast.com/pr-avast-software-streaming-updates-for-all-with-the-newa-avast-7

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Review from regular YouToober MalwareGeek Here

Plus another review in Spanish ?

Last edited by a moderator:

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
avast 7 public beta review by softpedia.com
http://www.softpedia.com/reviews/windows/avast-Free-Antivirus-Review-251890.shtml

Rompin Raider

Jan 7, 2012
NSG001 said:
Languy99's review of the Internet Security Suite posted here

Thanks NSG001...I enjoy checking out the beta and glad Avast allows that for the public. IMO they work petty hard...I have certainly seen worse!:D

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Avast! Free Antivirus 7 Beta - Test in dynamic and on-demand detection (by FaraVirusi.com)

Malicious websites blocked 92% (assessment of 25 infected sites , using Google Chrome 17)
Malware detection rate 81.47% (set of 10,690 viruses in the period 01.02 - 10.02.2012)

Not bad considering early beta, will watch this with interest ;)

@ ocsi care to comment here :)

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Beta 2 released

Source avast! official forums

Beta 2 (beta2 - build 7.0.1399)

* ARA has problems with connection sometimes when server is on win7/Vista 32b
* Installers have issues when updating/upgrading
* Registration in avast! Free doesn't work due to problems with server side (should be fixed tomorrow)
* The help hasn't been updated yet, it's still from v6
* Some translations haven't been updated yet, so you'll see new items in English

Installers here:
http://files.avast.com/files/avast7beta/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/files/avast7beta/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/files/avast7beta/avast_internet_security_setup.exe

Earth shattering changes TBC :huh:

Z

ZeroDay

Still no file rep? hmm That was supposed to be released as an update this week. I agree no earth shattering changes indeed.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
ZeroDay said:
Stile no file rep? hmm That was supposed to be released as an update this week. I agree no earth shattering changes indeed.

The actual quote on their forum is:
"Although we've fixed many issues, there are still some remaining"

Sounds are now working on Win 7 apparently, not sure about filerep yet.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
here's what vlk has say to about filerep and other features..
A few answers to the questions above:

- FileRep is still not "turned on" (in the sense that the cloud still isn't returning the data). It's supposed to be turned on before the end of this week (and doing so will not require any product update - the backend will just start to work).

- ARA stands for "avast! Remote Assistance"

- I don't seem able to simulate the "bug" with the Silent/Gaming mode not being controllable from the Current Status screen

- program updates should definitely work in build 7.0.1399

- Avast account will allow you see the status (and more) of all your avast installations (not necessarily yours but also your friends' and relatives') through a unified web-based console. This will also include the Mac and Android products. However, it's not yet fully functionally in this beta build -- we will have another beta refresh soon, that will address exactly this thing

- the list of fixed things (compared to beta 1) contains dozens of entries, and I'm not going to post a complete log from the bug tracker. But generally, everything except for the stuff mentioned in the first post should be fixed.

Thanks
Vlk

Ayanami

Jan 14, 2012
Hi all,

we've just released avast! 7 beta3 (build 7.0.1401). This build contains several improvements/fixed issues:
* New avast! Gadget
* Fixed avast! Remote Assistance
* Improved Helps & Localizations
* Registration is working again
* Account Settings page is functional

Some issues still remain:
* FileRep is not turned on (should be turned on in 2-3 days)
* Installers have issues when updating/upgrading
* avast! account is not fully functional yet (be patient, it should be ready soon)
* Some translations haven't been updated yet, so you'll see some new items in English

Feel free to download installers here:
http://files.avast.com/files/avast7beta/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/files/avast7beta/avast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe
http://files.avast.com/files/avast7beta/avast_internet_security_setup.exe

We would like to ask you for testing ARA (avast! Remote Assistance), any experience is valuable, many thanks.
And and usual, any other feedback is appreciated!

thanks,
Pavel
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:25:16 PM by pavels »

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
Another video review avast! IS 7 beta
Uploaded to YouTube by MyITtech

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Related information regarding on some features for the beta version of Avast 7

The new avast account is a new feature that allows you to view/control (and in a limited way, also manage) all the avast installations you have made (either on your computers, or your friends' and relatives' ones). This is done through a new web-based console/dashboard.

The soon-to-be-updated avast for Mac and avast for Android also support this, so that you have a centralized view of all your avast-protected devices.

The functionality is still not enabled in the current beta - but it will be in the next beta refresh.

Thanks
Vlk

Link

The main thing is now enabled by means of the latest virus def file (120219-1).
There will still be some tweaking moving forward, but the main functionality is already there...

Thanks
Vlk

Link

Syntax

Level 1
Feb 4, 2012
I hope MrXidus test the Avast! 7 beta3. I'm curious about FileRep on what it do and how it can prevent malwares from entering your system. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Nathan Wootton said:
resisting the urge to try this! :p what are peoples thoughts on it so far!?

Wait a little longer, got a blue screen when it ran the quick scan after installation. Mind you I don't have any other security installed and Windows Defender is disabled.

Rebooted, Avast wasn't installed correctly, so it didn't run. Re-ran installer as Admin. Cancelled the quick scan. Rebooted.

Not impressed. Too much unnecessary bloat and obvious slow down to PC performance.

Uninstalled using Revo Uninstaller, and Search Everything. Ran CCleaner Registry cleaner.

Recommendation: Wait for RC or Final.

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
quote from their facebook fan page....
Hello from Prague! We’re glad to officially announce 23 February as the release date for avast! version 7. It’s exactly one year since we launched version 6, and we’re excited about our new features. Also, we’re looking forward to your feedback on version 7… starting Thursday!

seems like we are going to have final version in just 2 days.....:D

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Seems awfully quick to release already, I can't be the only one to imagine some issues will still arise that will need ironing out.

I can see a flow of product updates through Avasts updater within the next few weeks.

Looks like I'll get a review video out when it releases.

NSG001

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
MrXidus said:
Seems awfully quick to release already, I can't be the only one to imagine some issues will still arise that will need ironing out.

I can see a flow of product updates through Avasts updater within the next few weeks.

Looks like I'll get a review video out when it releases.

I read there is some huge convention on the west coast of USA in coming days.
avast! wanted to showcase the latest version there, hence why it may be rushed out ;)
But yes expect many updates and patches to be released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.