Avast 7 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
u can watch the 0-day portion of languy99 review...in his review..avast almost sandboxed all the unknown things that were executed...Only part of his review or review i like :dodgy: link tests done by him consists of too many non-malicious links

P

Plexx

I do wonder where does he get his links from. I am sure is not the domainlist one.

Feedback on the review: So this review is based on Languy's video or your own tests?

If it was on your own tests, you might want to add more information such as what settings used, detection, cleaning, malware packs, links, ram usage etc.

Pretty much like my reviews, so the user can actually see the stuff, specially if its a user who hasn't seen the software etc.

Note that this is just my constructive feedback.

Thanks

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Biozfear said:
Feedback on the review: So this review is based on Languy's video or your own tests?

my own...talked about languy review just for the heck of it...on my own reviews i have just done the scan for pup on

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
As a whole product, I think you are missing key points of Avast, that includes the extras...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The sandbox feature were improved time to time and its pop up were generated correctly for unknown files that was not detected through other components.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Earth said:
As a whole product, I think you are missing key points of Avast, that includes the extras...

I guess..we must look at the ability of protection of avast which is really good and not the amount of features a product has :)

By saying the sandbox analysis is poor-I mean it sandboxes a lot of unknown malware and does analyze behaviour of malware running in sandbox...but always says no enough evidence which is boring...it must find malware behaviour

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
malwarekiller said:
Earth said:

I guess..we must look at the ability of protection of avast which is really good and not the amount of features a product has :)

IMO, it's still recommended to comment on all Features in avast, rather than just "detection", ignoring the (what some call is) "bloat", isn't a fair review.

The Remote Assistance could be considered a Pro point, the Avast Account linking a Pro or a Con, WebRep, a Pro or a Con. Site Blocking -a feature brought down from the Pro version- a Pro, etc.

-Just some feedback.

malwarekiller

Thread author
Mar 30, 2012
Earth said:
IMO, it's still recommended to comment on all Features in avast, rather than just "detection", ignoring the (what some call is) "bloat", isn't a fair review.

The Remote Assistance could be considered a Pro point, the Avast Account linking a Pro or a Con, WebRep, a Pro or a Con. Site Blocking -a feature brought down from the Pro version- a Pro, etc.

-Just some feedback.

No problem! but i yet think that...features are not important...its important how a product does against malware...i like to base my reviews on detection and protection rates...i like fair testing...rather than making half of the + points on the new features..i like to show the meat of the review:)

And this is what the normal users look for...

P

Plexx

If you simply stick to detection and dont mention other features, it will not really give the viewer a fair review.

Lets say for example that the detection rate on a pack of 250 files dated within 10 days, avast only score 86%, while on 10 links from malc0de, it detected 8 out of 15.

Based on the above figures, you would probably rate the most 3 stars.

Now any user that will read that will only understand why you rated as 3 stars based on the figures, but then there are other good features about avast that you dont even touch. just because detection rate might not be very good, considering other features, it can balance it out.

Normal users look for the product as a whole: ram consumption, cpu usage, UI friendly, detection and prevention, additional features.

What you showed on your review was more the bones, than the meat itself...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.