App Review Avast 8 Free Antivirus Test (Default settings) [Crowruin]

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Hi this review is failed (not the tester but you'll see ...)

1) Quite sure you were not connected to cloud ...

2) I'll do a COMPLETE test using many of your links tonight I can assure you many samples were autosanboxed on my PC not in yours ... (not connected to cloud I suspect).

@ZeroDay Sure .... please don't judge a product (just an advise).

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
This is weird and possible reason is cloud issues ...
I've already asked Vlk about that he said they had one FileRep server down ...

Z

ZeroDay

I'm judging based on past performance and this current video, just face it spywar...Avast is below par.

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
Hm, autosandboxing seems broken in his test. Maybe that's because he's using VirtualBox.
If spywar's test with these samples will be different and nothing will get past Avast, that might be because it works differently in VirtualBox vs a real system.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Hi Zeroday now I'm able to make a reply :

I've just finished testing it : "Avast 8 complete test" (URL* + 16 fresh undetected samples)
URL: I took many things crowruin took in his test (mostly malc0de's links).
You'll see that he was definitely not connected to cloud.

spywar

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
ZeroDay said:
It's a terrible showing by avast.
As already said this test is not very clear :

We don't know if he/she is connected to cloud but Avast without cloud is like a human without eyes :D (I mean anything undetected by AV can bypass Autosandbox FileRepMalware and as not receiving streaming updates Evo gen ...)

Tested on WinXp : it seems that there are some bugs on it not sure ...

You cannot say something like "It's a terrible showing by avast." when :

1) This is 1 test (BTW I did at least 50/60 tests and some did in video as you saw
2)When you do not really know how things work ...

Z

ZeroDay

I know how things work spywar I'm no amuter. This is a video that you didn't do therefore it's unbiased. Avast failed in this video big time the same as it failed in malware doctors video. Just accept version 8 isn't as good as you thought it was.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
"I'm looking forward to seeing avast 8 in an av-comparatives test."
Me too.
Now Avast 8 never failed on MalwareDoctor review ...
He executed some PUP etc ...
You know if V8 was not that good I'd never started test on my own pc against fresh : Zaccess / Rogue / Trojs / Ransoms etc ...
But you don't test you just watch right ? ....
I know what I am saying I am not a fanboy or anything else proof ? my tests.
Have you ever seen someone testing an AV and showing VT reports ?
Improvements are here you just don't understand.

Z

ZeroDay

Oh I understand and I do test I just don;'t publish my tests as I'm a busy man I haven't got time to be uploading videos. I understand that v8 is the same old avast an av-comparatives will confirm this.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
ZeroDay said:
Oh I understand and I do test I just don;'t publish my tests as I'm a busy man I haven't got time to be uploading videos. I understand that v8 is the same old avast an av-comparatives will confirm this.
No you don't. Uplaud them so that you can confirm that "statement".
Sorry my test is 95% ready I will share it and you'll see another time (the 11th) how to be protected VS unknown threats. (plus URL this time).
BTW, Avast! is used by almost (soon) 200 M users so there will always be someone that does not want to understand how things work.

PS: MalwareDoctor tests AV one time and then he changed (i.e Today I test NIS 2013 tomorrow Avast etc etc ... well it's not bad it's rather good)
But I did 11 tests of Avast so when I say improvements are here I know what I am saying you can also watch manzai's test or ThePCSecurity's test you'll see how good Evo-gen Filerepmalware performs ... (As you said wait until AV-C makes another tests BTW results for V7 were Advanced + in term of pro active ...).

Z

ZeroDay

I understand how v8 works it's not rocket science it's just code, something I'm very familar with. I'm not arguing with you anymore because to be fair you're not just a fanboy you're their leader. You post on here, on wilders and god knows where else all about avast, you've got your rose tinted glasses on, so I'll just let av-comparatives speak for me.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
ZeroDay said:
I understand how v8 works it's not rocket science it's just code, something I'm very familar with. I'm not arguing with you anymore because to be fair you're not just a fanboy you're their leader. You post on here, on wilders and god knows where else all about avast, you've got your rose tinted glasses on, so I'll just let av-comparatives speak for me.
As I said it had perfect results at AV-C (ver 7) ver 8 with current improvements can just do better than ver 7.

I

illumination

popcorn_yes_zps05813708.gif

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Don't say I am avast! fanboy ...
I am supporting Comodo a lot and looking forward too see Valkyrie implemented.
Like I said, improvements of V8 are here believe it or not V8 is 10 times better than V7 in term of pro activ (V7 only had Autosandboxing of suspicious files now things have changed you have to admit it).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.