Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Which one do you consider better regarding protection and resources usage? Signature detection rates of Emsisoft are clearly better but Avast has technologies that give a boost to it's protection.
I won an one year license for Emsisoft and I am thinking of keeping one of them as main AV. (Windows 8 firewall will be used in both senarios) I tend to consider Emsisoft better based on what I've read here, but Avast has done a very good work for me the past 3 years. Waiting for your replies xD

Z

ZeroDay

I think overall Your best bet would be Emsisoft, great signatures, great zeroday protection via it's bb I'd go for Emsisoft.

D

Deleted member 178

i agree too, EAM all the way.

but you can use both like here: http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Umbra-s-Amazing-Combos-Avast-IS-Emsisoft-IS

just ignore the OAP parts

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Both are really good but have Pros and Cons:

Avast:

Pros; free, excellent protection, light, many features, very little false positives, fast on-demand scans, boot scan.

Cons; can offer just as good protection as Emsisoft but may require user action for auto-sandboxing, behavior shield, etc., might be a bit more heavier then Emsisoft.

Emsisoft:

Pros; excellent protection without user actions, light, many features. Can be used for on-demand scans free of charge which makes a good on-demand scanner.

Cons; paid product by subscription, has more false positives then Avast, slower on-demand scans.

There are many tests that shows that even though Emsisoft may have a higher detection rate, Avast is still able to provide just as good or better protection. So in the end it really depends on user preferences and if you rather use free or pay.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If we want a product that capable for the most users even in install/forget then go for Avast 8 free since popular and proved well from all reviewers.

+ added Cloud feature and Auto Sandbox for additional protection and only an AV with all shields included.

For Emsisoft AM 7 proved for aggressive heuristics and BB with round a clock signatures that few samples could bypass however tends to be more focus on Advance users due to FP rates.

cptredsox

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
jamescv7 said:
If we want a product that capable for the most users even in install/forget then go for Avast 8 free since popular and proved well from all reviewers.

+ added Cloud feature and Auto Sandbox for additional protection and only an AV with all shields included.

For Emsisoft AM 7 proved for aggressive heuristics and BB with round a clock signatures that few samples could bypass however tends to be more focus on Advance users due to FP rates.

well i think EAM can be a install and forget AV too, both can be customized but EAM is a little easier to set up for max protection. the FPs aren't that high and you can rescan your quaratine after uploading files as FPs

D

Deleted member 178

in fact Emsisoft and Avast very close, the difference between them is that EAM detect on read where Avast full power is its detection on execution.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Thank you all for your suggestions! Although I had EAM I changed to Avast free for real time as EAM slows the PC down a bit. It is now switched to freeware mode just to scan every one or two weeks.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Never had any luck with EAM (Real-time), but I have used the version in Emsisoft Emergency Kit and wasn't pleased that is had large downloads (10-21MB) every second day, so I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to wait for 2 weeks of updates.

TheErzengel

Level 2
Verified
Dec 21, 2012
I have subscription for both products and now use EAM.

Detection:
Emsisoft> Avast

behavior
Emsisoft> Avast

Speed ​​and lightness
Avast> Emsisoft

DTech28

Verified
Apr 13, 2013
Nikos751 said:
Which one do you consider better regarding protection and resources usage? Signature detection rates of Emsisoft are clearly better but Avast has technologies that give a boost to it's protection.
I won an one year license for Emsisoft and I am thinking of keeping one of them as main AV. (Windows 8 firewall will be used in both senarios) I tend to consider Emsisoft better based on what I've read here, but Avast has done a very good work for me the past 3 years. Waiting for your replies xD

If we compare avast! and Emsisoft forums, you have many posts of problems in avast! and few on Emsisoft.

Emisoft uses 2 engines.

Resources, Emsisoft might be a bit more tax when update, but still very good.

removal and detection, I believe Emsisoft is far superior.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
DTech28 said:
Nikos751 said:

If we compare avast! and Emsisoft forums, you have many posts of problems in avast! and few on Emsisoft.

Emisoft uses 2 engines.

Resources, Emsisoft might be a bit more tax when update, but still very good.

removal and detection, I believe Emsisoft is far superior.

Maybe you 're right but I believe the difference of provided protection for the user isn't a big deal. Also, Avast non signature based detection like autosandbox, evogen,dyna etc are very good and cover in a big amount what signatures cannot detect. You 'll tell me that Emsisoft BB is also good, so Emsisoft is better in total but I care about the usage resources too. I hate watching the system being slower than it should because of the AV. As for problems, the only problem I noticed all these years was BSOD in Win8 when used v7. Version 8 is ok.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Count me in with Avast Antivirus Free.

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a great product, a very good antivirus engine and one of the most powerful behavior blocker.
However the free version of Avast is arguably the most comprehensive set of freely available security features on the market. However, while the Web Guard or Antivirus engine are top notch, the main reason why I would go with avast is it's Avast Auto-Sandbox feature.
Avast's Sandbox automatically places programs in a virtualized state when it suspects them of being threats.
It will auto sandbox suspicious programs, preventing them from potentially damaging your system while allowing them to run. As the program runs, the Sandbox keeps track of which files are opened, created, or renamed, and what it reads and writes from the registry. Permanent changes are virtualized, so when the process terminates itself, the system changes it made will disappear.

avast_AutoSandbox.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.