Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Which one do you consider better regarding protection and resources usage? Signature detection rates of Emsisoft are clearly better but Avast has technologies that give a boost to it's protection.
I won an one year license for Emsisoft and I am thinking of keeping one of them as main AV. (Windows 8 firewall will be used in both senarios) I tend to consider Emsisoft better based on what I've read here, but Avast has done a very good work for me the past 3 years. Waiting for your replies xD

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I will have to agree with Jack, Avast's auto-sandbox features can detect all of the zero-day malware that have no malware signatures which puts it ahead of Emsisoft even with two AV engines.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Jack said:
It will auto sandbox suspicious programs, preventing them from potentially damaging your system while allowing them to run. As the program runs, the Sandbox keeps track of which files are opened, created, or renamed, and what it reads and writes from the registry. Permanent changes are virtualized, so when the process terminates itself, the system changes it made will disappear.

a bit like Webroot SA "rollback" feature

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well really a bit logic, you cannot tell whether more engines or few engines are better but everything could be a side effect from performance itself.

Sandbox feature is a +1 for every security application either free and paid but that's to be analyzed well from the codes since one wrong move everything might slipped the structure itself and rated as vulnerability.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Littlebits said:
I will have to agree with Jack, Avast's auto-sandbox features can detect all of the zero-day malware that have no malware signatures which puts it ahead of Emsisoft even with two AV engines.

Thanks.:D
Yes, also do not forget the new engines (working 24/7 in backend) which are "Evo Gen" and "Malware Similarity Search".

More info ?
https://blog.avast.com/2012/12/03/new-toy-research-lab/

D

Deleted member 178

from my own experience (general view)

Avast free > EAM paid

Emsisoft IS > Avast IS

You are allowed to disagree :D but it will not change my point of view ;)

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Umbra Polaris said:
from my own experience (general view)

Avast free > EAM paid

Emsisoft IS > Avast IS

You are allowed to disagree :D but it will not change my point of view ;)

Why do you prefer Avast free from EAM paid? About the IS, I suppose it's the firewall that makes you reverse them.

D

Deleted member 178

Avast free has more features and excellent protection/detection for free; but if i have to pay, Emsisoft IS with its BB, FW, HIPS is better than Avast in Prevention.

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Agree with you. The IS price does not differ much from the antimalware ones. I can use both EAM and Avast free in my system as I won an Emsisoft suite license. I don't want Onlinearmor as it's a but heavy. What do you sugest in my case?

D

Deleted member 178

Avast free and Windows Firewall is a good combo, and quite light; since you seems to have some resources limits, keep avast.

but honestly, EIS is very powerful but you must be ready to answer popups from the HIPS.

If you really don't need Online Armor, you can send me the license , i know plenty of people that wish to have it ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Choose something that is practical for you, but try both if that's what you want, and see what happens..

Also what do you not like about Windows Firewall?

Nikos751

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Windows firewall is ok for me. No problem (Earth)! :) Now there is another two choices for me: KAV 2013 for ROG mobo's using the trick from the link to a raymond.cc article (1 year free). I am really confused! Also in some days I 'll probably have Avast Internet Security from recommendation bonus. I know it's not the place for such questions but it's somekind related. If it's out of topic tell me so to post in the Security configuration thread.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Just choose the security product that you want and stay away from viruses that causes bypass which it can never be prevent.

thetechguy

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2013
I much prefer Emsisoft. I was really disappointed with the latest Avast...

EAM has much better signatures and detection IMO which to me is very important. I prefer BB's to sandbox or HIPS. Not saying zero day isn't important, it is, but signatures are very important IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.