App Review Avast! 8 vs unknown malwares

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Here is a new test which shows Avast vs 40 undetected samples or what we could call "Unknown Malware".

Last edited by a moderator:

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
RE: Avast! 8 vs 40 unknown malwares

Was this done on a VM or a real machine?

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011

this was done on a real machine thanks for the test again may be you could make a test with the internet security version :)

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012

Hi, done on a real machine but soon (or later) I'll get my VM back so that I'll be able to test whatever you guys want.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Avast 8 vs 15 fresh undetected samples + VT links to proof (with hip hop instrumental)

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Another great results from Avast :

what's the test ? 22 undetected fresh samples (from 2 days old for the older one to ~30 min old for the fresh samples).
As usual, execution of each of the samples to see wether Avast is able to protect us vs new unknown malwares. Only 2 things out of 22 passed. Don't quite understand why autosandbox did not appear for these 2 but still, impressive results.

Z

ZeroDay

Thanks for the test, but I don't understand how you're test differ so much from that test by Malware Geek where Avast! 8 failed big time.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Samples used, that's it. Evo Gen will mostly detect new samples from at least feb 2013 and many of the tests I saw were things like PUP execution ... Files with 0/42 VT ratio execution. His last test was a kind of joke, he picked 6 samples to execute right ? AT LEAST, he could do a basic thing, like me to show us what these samples were ... Sure there were again PUP and FP. Now you see what differs the tests ....

Z

ZeroDay

But one of the samples he executed completly bypassed Avast!, locked up the vm and caused him to have to restore the vm to a clean snapshot.

P

Plexx

As long as further tests about avast 8 with different packs are kept within this thread, it is fine, but I believe you have already proved your point, spywar.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
I really did not like the tests I done with music ... (in term of quality)
I decided to do another one : Avast vs 19 undetected malwares
Please watch it (720p for Jack^^)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utvReJDa8hE

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
ZeroDay said:
But one of the samples he executed completly bypassed Avast!, locked up the vm and caused him to have to restore the vm to a clean snapshot.
We are not sure that BSOD was done by a malware ...

1) We don't even know if the samples he executed were malwares ! (nothing proof that !)

2) He tested on a WinXP machine he probably did not know but avast! has some issues ATM with WinXP

I'm looking forward to see ThePCSecurity's test of V8 final ...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Plexx said:
As long as further tests about avast 8 with different packs are kept within this thread, it is fine, but I believe you have already proved your point, spywar.

Completely agree. You've made one video showing it does well so there is no need to "repeat" it and go on about it. Why not test other products not just Avast?

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Hi McLovin

1) When I test an AV I can test it during 3 months .... I always try it with undetected samples.
For example : CIS has been tested for about 6 months !
To reply to you : I'm testing Avast on my own PC (as you see in videos)
But soon or later? I will set up a new VM so that I'll start the same tests with other products.

Many thanks for the support,
spywar

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
spywar said:
Hi McLovin

1) When I test an AV I can test it during 3 months .... I always try it with undetected samples.
For example : CIS has been tested for about 6 months !
To reply to you : I'm testing Avast on my own PC (as you see in videos)
But soon or later? I will set up a new VM so that I'll start the same tests with other products.

Many thanks for the support,
spywar

Great job @spywar, it's a serious way to test antivirus. So I like your videos...
bob

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
2 fresh big tests !

Avast vs 12 unknown malwares + MBAM : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1-hHwoCdLY

Avast vs 83 unknown malwares (some were similar) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cazESfuyRo

spywar

D

Deleted member 178

You should submit your malware packs in our HUB ( https://malwaretips.com/forums/malware-samples.104/ ) so we can test different AVs with them; instead of showing just only repetitive Avast video tests that are useless to most of us.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Based on the last pack (17 samples) execution of 15 undetected fresh samples :

To Umbra: I understand what you are saying but be sure that many users/guests like to see QUITE A LOT of reviews on a same program ... That shows the level, one test does not show anything. ;)

Z

ZeroDay

I would also like to see how other Av's fair with these same samples, you see just showing Avast! against samples doesn't mean anything because as far as we know every AV could do just as well against the same samples, but we're only seeing Avast! What have we got to compare Avast's results against?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.