App Review Avast! 8 vs unknown malwares

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Hi ZeroDay : Please do download the samples I gave on the malware board (17 samples in fact avast AV detected 2 of them then I ran 15).
As said don't have VM ATM so cannot install anything else sorry.
It would be good if another tester can compare with other products (since I will always share samples in malware board).

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Avast 8 vs 18 samples (based on the 35 samples pack submitted to malware hub), do not forget to watch in HD ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Avast 8 vs 12 samples (based on the 17 malwares pack). Please watch in HD. Conclusion : 1 unable to run, 11 blocked.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
New test : Avast vs 21 undetected samples (based on the last 30 fresh samples in malware hub I gave for you) : 1 unable to run / 20 blocked.
watch in HD ;)

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Avast vs 15 fresh undetected samples

Conclusion : 1 was safe (did not execute it)
3 passed : 1 was a PUP and 2 were trojans now don't know why they didn't get autosandboxed.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Based on my latest malware pack (20 fresh samples) Avast detected 0 of them. So decided to execute them one per one :

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
spywar said:
Based on my latest malware pack (20 fresh samples) Avast detected 0 of them. So decided to execute them one per one :

Have you tested other av products in the same way?

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Hi, I will test others AV in the same way (unknown fresh malwares execution) but once I will set up my VM (atm avast! is being tested on my own PC).

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
spywar said:
Hi, I will test others AV in the same way (unknown fresh malwares execution) but once I will set up my VM (atm avast! is being tested on my own PC).
Nice! waiting for your next tests.. Avast btw seems to be a very good product overall. Not sure if KIS or ESET for example will have the same high block-on-execution effectiveness.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Yes that's what I was thinking ... Would Kaspersky Bitdefender ESET be able to block them ? We'll see soon (I hope).

Z

ZeroDay

Spywar I've decided to give avast free a try, just installed it atleast then I can see with my own eyes.

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Avast vs 14 new zerodays malwares (available in malware hub)

spywar

Level 11
Thread author
Oct 26, 2012
Avast! vs 15 unknown fresh samples (based on my latest pack in malware hub)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.