New Update Avast acquires 'I don't care about Cookies' browser extension

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I think Norton will come up with some new hybrid version of Avast and AVG where they add some or all of their identity theft components to Avast and AVG but keep the same AV engines and detection that Avast and AVG have now. I also think they will try to somehow marry the Norton and Avast and AVG browser extensions together in a one size fits all extension. It will be very interesting to see if there is a free Norton-Avast-AVG antivirus available as well. Norton has never had a free AV that I know of and it's just my own opinion but I doubt they will be very willing to offer one now.

C.H.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Avast is very popular because it is often used by computer novices and word of mouth also works very well.

Now given the buyout by Norton, I would see a Norton Free Antivirus version with Norton DB and Sonar. It would make a great product. :)

Mystic

Level 4
Verified
Aug 25, 2022
I think so:
The extension will be free to use, but the developer does not say anything regarding upcoming changes. I hate when developers talk about only the cost of the product as if this is the only thing that matters. Especially when it comes
I think Norton will come up with some new hybrid version of Avast and AVG where they add some or all of their identity theft components to Avast and AVG but keep the same AV engines and detection that Avast and AVG have now. I also think they will try to somehow marry the Norton and Avast and AVG browser extensions together in a one size fits all extension. It will be very interesting to see if there is a free Norton-Avast-AVG antivirus available as well. Norton has never had a free AV that I know of and it's just my own opinion but I doubt they will be very willing to offer one now.

C.H.
I don't think they would kill Avast, but it could happen to AVG. They would keep Avast, add some features and benefit from the enormous user base to collect more and more data.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Yes, they were trading data, but as I remember, the data was anonymized.
Study after study after study (after study after study) has proven it's incredibly easy to re-identify individuals from 'anonymous' data.

Also, they apologized and officially stopped the practice.
They didn't apologise at first, they tried to downplay the ordeal:
He doesn't get to define what a privacy scandal is, and his assertion that the sold data can't be re-identified is, as proven above, false.
Their apology only came over a month after the scandal had broken, and it's clear that they were only sorry they'd got caught, not for their practices, as their 2019 half-year financial presentation boasted about Jumpshot's expansion and revenue generation (they shut down Jumpshot at the beginning of 2020 for context).

So, yeah, not a fan.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
Thanks to the meddling's of the EU & as UK is still using lots of EU rules banners to accept cookies is on lots of UK sites I visit & as I delete all cookies offer each session it's the most useful extension I have by a long way (I know I can save cookies but choose not to) - As I remember Avast published the telemetry they had gained quite openly, & the guy from Emsisoft on here mentioned how was the telemetry gained? (words to that effect) Good point but it seemed to me Avast didn't feel they had done wrong, if it was a scandal it was Avast who snitched on themselves.

The same guy who did the cookies extension also does a 'No Thanks' paid extension too, wonder if Avast is buying that?

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
And they don't even call themselves Norton but rather Norton LifeLock. They're really interested in the 'I'm scared my identity's going to be stolen' masses. That's where the real money is. It's a scareware company.
Tell me a company that doesn't try to steal its identity? :p there is no good company, they want profit, if you are suspicious of programs then you better stop using Windows, Android, IOS, they all have all of you and do what they want with your telemetry :D

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Tell me a company that doesn't try to steal its identity? :p there is no good company, they want profit, if you are suspicious of programs then you better stop using Windows, Android, IOS, they all have all of you and do what they want with your telemetry :D
I think you misunderstand me, maybe due to language differences: LifeLoc is a company that protects users' identity with alerts about personal info, e.g. financial transactions, new credit cards opened in your name, etc. It is subscription based. They make a lot of money from users who are scared of identity theft.

My comment had nothing to do with telemetry. ✌️✌️:cool:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Just use the AdGuard AdBlocker extension with Annoyance filter enabled instead for those who use/used the I don't Care About Cookies extension.
Adguard extension has the ability to auto accept required cookies on sites that don't function without accepting cookies. uBlock Origin can't do it (the auto accepting part).

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Just use the AdGuard AdBlocker extension with Annoyance filter enabled instead for those who use/used the I don't Care About Cookies extension.
Adguard extension has the ability to auto accept required cookies on sites that don't function without accepting cookies. uBlock Origin can't do it (the auto accepting part).

Nice to know, I guess the same is applicable for AdGuard desktop version (going to be very useful post manifest v3).

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Obviously they care about protection, they are one of the best protection in the world, along with Kaspersky and Bitdefender, that's why I said they don't want Avast protection (they don't need it) they want users, that is, expand more and more the Norton name all over the world, you may not be a fan of Norton, but to say they don't have great protection is to misunderstand security :D
I don't think Norton is technically lax. The company has two faces: a group of engineers and a management team. Acquisitions are planned by management.

I personally don't hate Norton.:)

ng4ever

Level 17
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Is it still safe to use the filter list for I don't care about cookies in AdGuard Home software on windows ?

Hmm interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sorrento

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.