Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The developer of the extension published a short message on the official website about Avast's acquisition. According to the information, the extension remains free and the developer continues to work on the project.

Avast offered to acquire the project so that we can help each other in creating even better products and I decided to accept the offer: "I don't care about cookies" is now officially a member of Avast family. I will keep working on the project and the extension will remain free to use. Donations are not needed anymore to keep the project going, of course.

Avast has not published a press release about the acquisition up until now. Avast's motivation to acquire the extension are unknown at this point. It is possible that the company is planning to integrate the functionality into some of its products.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Then we'll all need the Super Duper Outrageously Expensive Subscription, and it will be the only option = everything or nothing!

But what will happen to the list? Still maintained by the original author?
I think so:
I will keep working on the project and the extension will remain free to use.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Why do you guys think so badly of Avast?

Yes, they were trading data, but as I remember, the data was anonymized. Also, they apologized and officially stopped the practice. Also now somehow they are owned by Norton and I think we can be oriented to the standards of the last one, and it never seems to have been caught trading or using their customers' data in any way?

Speaking of protection, Avast performs very well in amateur and official tests, and its hardened mode is a great solution for old parents and all family members who don't follow the security rules at all.

I've also used Avast's VPN and now use a paid subscription to their browser with a built-in VPN - I really like it, no complaints.

One thing I agree with is that they have a lot of stability issues with various additional utilities. The driver update program constantly required a reboot. About the antitracker, there were cases that people wrote that it slows down the Internet. The problems are really frequent there, but I'm not too regular Avast user to remember all the cases. :)

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
Avast isn't the problem, Norton is. Or potentially is, in this case.
I already think the opposite, Norton is the solution, Avast is the problem. I never had a good experience with him, very unstable and it was with him that I was infected years ago, I respect those who like the program and have good results, but it was terrible for me. I believe that Norton, for being one of the best on the market in protection, will finally adjust it for the better, or exterminate it as it did with BullGuard :ROFLMAO:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
believe that Norton, for being one of the best on the market in protection, will finally adjust it for the better, or exterminate it as it did with BullGuard
It will be interesting to see what they do. Avast is widely used, especially in the U.S. and I wonder if Norton would risk alienating Avast users. We shall see ... 👣👣👣⚽⚽⚽

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
It will be interesting to see what they do. Avast is widely used, especially in the U.S. and I wonder if Norton would risk alienating Avast users. We shall see ... 👣👣👣⚽⚽⚽
Only time will tell, but I believe that Norton is only interested in its customers around the world, and not in the protection of the program, because Norton is more robust, Norton wants revenue, so choose to buy Avast which has thousands of users 🤑

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Only time will tell, but I believe that Norton is only interested in its customers around the world, and not in the protection of the program, because Norton is more robust, Norton wants revenue, so choose to buy Avast which has thousands of users 🤑
Norton "I don't care about protection":eek:
Agree. I think the goal is probably to attract customers.

Kiss

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 6, 2021
Norton "I don't care about protection":eek:
Agree. I think the goal is probably to attract customers.
Obviously they care about protection, they are one of the best protection in the world, along with Kaspersky and Bitdefender, that's why I said they don't want Avast protection (they don't need it) they want users, that is, expand more and more the Norton name all over the world, you may not be a fan of Norton, but to say they don't have great protection is to misunderstand security :D

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
you may not be a fan of Norton, but to say they don't have great protection is to misunderstand security :D
But to put it bluntly, Norton has no protection of its own at all, they just rent Symantec's technology and engine. That is why for dozens and dozens of updates they change something in the interface ( spoil it), add useless features, but do nothing to improve protection - they can't, it's not their technology. At the same time, Symantec is a commercial antivirus, and therefore it is known for false positives on a lot of different strange and surprising software that you will never find in any company, but which are installed by home users. And I really wonder if Norton ever plans to use Avira and Avast technology, or will they just rent a third-party commercial engine and do nothing more than marketing, and if the last, it raises questions about the future of Avast and Avira. :unsure:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
to put it bluntly, Norton has no protection of its own at all, they just rent Symantec's technology and engine.
And they don't even call themselves Norton but rather Norton LifeLock. They're really interested in the 'I'm scared my identity's going to be stolen' masses. That's where the real money is. It's a scareware company.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.