Avast ads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bogdan said:
So "Show avast recommendation features" and "Show social networking features" have no impact on ads?

Personally, I have no problem with the pop-ups but since some avast users are complaining (also on avast forum: link 1, link 2, link 3) I thought that there might be a setting that can disable or lower the number of pop-ups so that everyone can feel satisfied with the free version of avast.

I know if you disable "Show avast recommendation features", you will not be notified about promotional offers and free giveaways (one of my customers won a free Ipad from Avast) because of this feature. I'm not sure if it has any effects on displaying ads for their paid products.

I'm not sure what "Show social networking features" does.

When an ad displays, there is an option to "Not show again", simply check the box and that ad is gone for good.

For those posts in the Avast Forums looks like work of trolls, all of the users complaining are new members that only have a few posts and most of them are their only to complain about ads. None of the long term members are saying anything about the ads.

If Avast was really displaying ads like these trolls are saying, wouldn't it be more likely that the long term members would be the first to complain?

I still use Avast Free on my XP Home system and I have only seen about 3 ads in the last 2 months. If I stated to see a problem with these ads, I would be one of the first to complain about them. Not only that, I recommend Avast to my customers, if my customers were getting upset with the ads it makes it look bad on me. So far none of my customers have complained about the ads. One of my customers actually watches for the ads thinking she might win something again after winning an Ipad.

Thanks.:D

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Littlebits said:
All of the users complaining (on the avast forum) are new members that only have a few posts and most of them are their only to complain about ads.
You might be right about that, but the reason I replied in this thread is not to complain about the ads but to figure out if there is a way for people to disable them if they want to.

From the help file:
"Show avast recommendation features" -> can be used to de-activate the Market tab and the "Like avast!" button in the navigation panel. I can confirm that un-checking the box removes the button and the tab from the interface.
"Show social networking features" -> can be used to remove links to social networking sites such as Twitter, etc. I have no idea where those links are inside the interface, that's why I thought that they are referring to notifications/pop-us.

Tom172

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 11, 2011
After thinking about it further Littlebits I agree with you, perhaps I was a bit overly critical.

Compared to other programs such as CIS, which throw alerts in your face almost ever hour with popups that people struggle to uinderstand, Avast's adverts aren't much of an issue.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
That looks like a default Update pop-up now.

I don't mind this type of combo pop-up. It's informative and a recommendation.

At least it's not asking you to join them on Facebook. Haha, where did I see that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.