Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Basing something like on an AV Testing site is a bad assumption to make about a product. An AV is going to protect you from Internet threats, but don't expect miracles, if you're the type who tests with a lot or zero-day malware. The average PC user won't be doing any of those, so in the of chance they get infected, is likely to be human error, lack of certain knowledge (a scam that's new to them), or the AV simply hasn't detected it as a threat.

I have 3 PCs with Avast Free Antivirus, all from Basic to Intermediate users. None of them have been infected, in over 3 years.

IMO, no matter how excellent or poor an AV performs in AV testing sites, I'd always recommend the user to brush up on their Web and Computer knowledge / skills.

MalwareDetective

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 16, 2013
I agree with what earth said... Even if score in AV test's it's still have the DeepScreen and other stuff who can protect your PC good.
I own Avast IS and I haven't infected a lot of time....

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Avast is victim of its reputation as BD and KIS, first thing malware-writers do is to setup registry keys to disable them.
That's a bug truth and there are more mainstream players too.
But what can you install to an average users PC that is not first target while its light effective not buggy and not requiring user interaction;

D

Deleted member 178

sandboxie, shadow defender,Appguard , ERP, Defensewall; all of them are far more effective than an AV and not first targeted.

Reactions: XhenEd

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I have 3 PCs with Avast Free Antivirus, all from Basic to Intermediate users. None of them have been infected, in over 3 years.

IMO, no matter how excellent or poor an AV performs in AV testing sites, I'd always recommend the user to brush up on their Web and Computer knowledge / skills.

Same here, I always install Avast! in my customer's PC. So far no one's complaining.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
sandboxie, shadow defender,Appguard , ERP, Defensewall; all of them are far more effective than an AV and not first targeted.
I don't think these are for average users. Someone must install them, educate the user about computer basics and teach them how to work with these tools.

Reactions: Koroke San

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
I am using Avast for a long time ( Though for sometimes for testing I remove it and use other AV). She is ma 2nd love as Antivirus. ( 1st is AVG free).

I know my choice is not good but what can i say, Love is blind :p.

One thing though, As a normal user I don't really had many viruses. I hardly got any infection from Internet. Most of the virus came from USB stick which was caught by Avast.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I am using Avast for a long time ( Though for sometimes for testing I remove it and use other AV). She is ma 2nd love as Antivirus. ( 1st is AVG free).

I know my choice is not good but what can i say, Love is blind :p.

One thing though, As a normal user I don't really had many viruses. I hardly got any infection from Internet. Most of the virus came from USB stick which was caught by Avast.
If you are an AVG fan because of it's lightness and simplicity, you could try Avira free which is lighter than Avast and simple to use.
But if you are ok with Avast at the time being, just keep using it.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
If you are an AVG fan because of it's lightness and simplicity, you could try Avira free which is lighter than Avast and simple to use.
But if you are ok with Avast at the time being, just keep using it.

I hate Avira. Detection is good but personally i felt it uses more system memory than AVG and it has very bad behavioral blocker and in free version we get one full screen annoying advertisement everyday.

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
On the Avast Forums there have been complaints about detection. I have resigned myself that there is No Holy Grail in AV programs. Any detection in the 80-90% range is about the best you can hope for.:(

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I hate Avira. Detection is good but personally i felt it uses more system memory than AVG and it has very bad behavioral blocker and in free version we get one full screen annoying advertisement everyday.
AVG behavioral detection is very weak by the way xD
while Avira's cloud can do some good work..

Have you tried Avira recently?

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
You have 360 IS / 360 TS with better detection and options that is why. Baidu Antivirus, Tiranium Internet Security, Avira, Panda Cloud ...

Reactions: marg

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
AVG behavioral detection is very weak by the way xD
while Avira's cloud can do some good work..

Have you tried Avira recently?
Avira has cloud? Damn I am so backdated. No I haven't used it recently. Seems like I have to re-check it.

Reactions: marg

marg

Level 12
Verified
May 26, 2014
You have 360 IS / 360 TS with better detection and options that is why. Baidu Antivirus, Tiranium Internet Security, Avira, Panda Cloud ...
Baidu was buggy at times on my Win 7 system but, it was usable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.